Coral Vue Hydros

Can't Make Decision On Which Nano To Buy

Owl's_Head

I currently have a 70G Reef tank, but am looking to add something in the Nano range as well.

I want something in the 28-30 range so I can a little bit bigger range of stocking options down the road.

I'm trying to just look at tanks that basically come with everything I need. I pieced together my 60G, and while I thought that would be cheaper, I"m not sure if it actually was in the long run... Having to buy the lighting/skimmer/filters/glass tops/etc

I also love the idea of not having anything hanging on back, and out of sight.

Anyway, I've visited all my local stores, and they all either have the JBJs, Oceanic Biocube, or the new IM Nuvos.

I found all these online, much cheaper...

So I've got it narrowed down to

- JBJ 28G with the 27W LEDs $449

- Oceanic 29g BioCube HQI $425

- M Nuvo 30 with the 30W Skyye Tab LED $750

(Those the best prices I've found so far)

I do love the design and look of the Nuvos, but from what I can tell, they're similar to the JBJs in functionality. You're paying for the sexiness of the more modern look I guess, and better lighting(?)

Is that worth the extra money? -_-

I'm looking to just do fish and soft corals, easier stuff I don't have to put a ton of work into. I kind of want to go LED due to heat issues.

There's not a ton of stuff on the Forums or youtube about the Nuvos

Any overall thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

I currently have a 70G Reef tank, but am looking to add something in the Nano range as well.

I want something in the 28-30 range so I can a little bit bigger range of stocking options down the road.

I'm trying to just look at tanks that basically come with everything I need. I pieced together my 60G, and while I thought that would be cheaper, I"m not sure if it actually was in the long run... Having to buy the lighting/skimmer/filters/glass tops/etc

I also love the idea of not having anything hanging on back, and out of sight.

Anyway, I've visited all my local stores, and they all either have the JBJs, Oceanic Biocube, or the new IM Nuvos.

I found all these online, much cheaper...

So I've got it narrowed down to

- JBJ 28G with the 27W LEDs $449

- Oceanic 29g BioCube HQI $425

- M Nuvo 30 with the 30W Skyye Tab LED $750

(Those the best prices I've found so far)

I do love the design and look of the Nuvos, but from what I can tell, they're similar to the JBJs in functionality. You're paying for the sexiness of the more modern look I guess, and better lighting(?)

Is that worth the extra money? -_-

I'm looking to just do fish and soft corals, easier stuff I don't have to put a ton of work into. I kind of want to go LED due to heat issues.

There's not a ton of stuff on the Forums or youtube about the Nuvos

Any overall thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

All are great choices. My vote is for the innovative marine, or biocube with led retro, but mostly only cuz those are the only ones I have any experience with. The recent IM nanos i have seen recently look sick. If i were to buy an AIO it would be a nuvo for sure. One of my LFS just started one of the smaller IM nano tanks in the checkout lane. I will try and snag a pic for you when i swing by tomorrow.

Id wait for the new jbj rl's come in 5g 8g and 30g :) worth it!

I'm not sure I can wait... :P

I assume the new JBJs are made to kind of keep up with the Nuvo look?

All are great choices. My vote is for the innovative marine, or biocube with led retro, but mostly only cuz those are the only ones I have any experience with. The recent IM nanos i have seen recently look sick. If i were to buy an AIO it would be a nuvo for sure. One of my LFS just started one of the smaller IM nano tanks in the checkout lane. I will try ad snag a pic for you when i swing my tomorrow.

I've actually seen the Nuvos up close, and that's why I'm thinking about going Nuvo. It was literally side by side with the JBJs, and I was like, "Wait, these are so much more cooler"

The store had the 38 and the long 16G ones.

But like I said, they seem similar to the JBJ in most ways besides the actual look. So I'm going back and forth on whether to sped the extra money or not. But I know once I got the Biocube or JBJ I'm going to be thinking, "Man I the Nuvo looked so much cooler"

or you can buy the solana 34gal?

Do you have a Solano? I haven't really looked at those... But not for any reason.

I guess you'd just have to buy the lighting separate.

Seems like from just looking quickly at prices the Solano would be around the same as the Nuvo

Tank - $350

Stand - $200

Light - $200 budget

But, I'd need free shipping on everything, which is what I've found with the whole Nuvo combined.

Cadlights

I actually like the Cadlights, the store I go to has the 18G I believe, with the Red stand. Looks nice, but 18 is too small and the 39 might be too big as far as space goes.

I'd have to measure.

I have a ecoxotic 25 gallon that is JUST like a solana but smaller. It's a great tank. I bought my lighting separately and got 3 panorama pro LED strips but an AI nano would light it as well. The tank itself needs no mods. It has great flow and comes with a protein skimmer. I got my tank and lights from Premium Aquatics and shipping was free.

I heard the nuvo's are cheap

As in quality?

Aside from the original problem with the silicone, I've read nothing but good things on the Nuvo.

Not a lot of things, but all good

I'll check out the Ecoxotic, thanks

You mentioned protein skimmers - from what I've seen, most of these tanks don't come with skimmers. JBJ makes one for their Nano, and there's one for the Biocube, but they come separately. Not sure about the other brands.

What kind of stand are you considering? If you're going with a matching stand, you might take a look at those too. Some are very flimsy looking, others aren't bad.

You mentioned protein skimmers - from what I've seen, most of these tanks don't come with skimmers. JBJ makes one for their Nano, and there's one for the Biocube, but they come separately. Not sure about the other brands.

What kind of stand are you considering? If you're going with a matching stand, you might take a look at those too. Some are very flimsy looking, others aren't bad.

Right, I'm not sure I'm going to need a Skimmer. I'm pretty diligent with water changes, so I might just go that route.

From what I've read about the little PS that come with some of these, they're not the greatest apparently.

As far as stands, both the JBJ and Oceanic came with the standard stand included in the price.

For the Nuvo, I'd get the matching stand as well, whatever their stock 30 G stand is. The stand that I saw in person was the Nuvo 38, and it looked pretty nice

Archived