inTank Media Baskets

Setup Day 2 Completed.

Pseudo Gregoree

Pseudo Gregoree

ok day 2 is done

live rock is in, what do ya think?  ecosystem sump is up and running well...

i am battling heat... i have it so the tank is 79 degrees with the light son but when they turn off it drops to 75...

i need a better heater where i can see numbers and set it...

any suggestions?

thanks

GregIM000671.JPG

The tank looks good. Maybe it's just the picture, but there seems to be an awful lot of rubble rock lying about. IMO you would be better off taking out much of that, as you're likely going to want all the space for the rocks your corals will come on.

As far as a heater, the Ebo Jager is a very good heater. What size tank do you have? You will be better off if you overcompensate a bit and get a slightly larger watt heater than you need. That way it won't have to work as hard to heat your tank. If the lights are heating up your tank 4 degrees though, then that is going to be a problem. Do you have any type of fan installed to blow the heat from the lights? If not, then I would imagine you will definitely want to do that.

Agreed w/ the Ebu Jager.  It can easily be set to whatever temp you want and is very reliable.  The 50w unit is recommended for 10g, but your tank looks a little bigger, so adjust accordingly.  Set your temp at 80 and hopefully that will solve your probem.  Like jdiver said, if you're still getting large temp swings, add a fan.

You shouldn't need numbers on your heater.  When the tank's up at 79 degrees, turn the dial on the heater until the pilot light *just* comes on, then turn the dial back to where the pilot light barely goes back off.  That should calibrate your tank to keep it up to 79 at night.  You probably will need to add a fan or something to keep the heat from teh lights down though.  Otherwise you'll be at 79 at night, then 83 during the day and so on.

The Ebo Jager heaters are good.  I also really like my WON heater, which is titanium, so it can't be broken by falling LR.  Also, the adjustment dial is at the wall plug, so you don't have to fumble around in the tank to adjust the temperature.

HTH

quiksilver5768

That does look like some LR rubble on the substrate but I would keep it in. There is plenty of space for corals and it makes your tank look more realistic. IMO

Go with an Ebo Jager

Seems fine, you got good responses on the heater issue.

I would just chuck the rubble rocks into crevices of other rocks etc, just a thought.

Pseudo Gregoree

ok guys

this board is awesome, thank you for all the replies, now lets talk nano's.

the heater i have i like, it just has no numbers on it, i am going to check on the heater.  I bought a digi thermometer today to get a lil more accurate on the temps.... i picked the lights up off of the glass and now when they are on it stays at around 80.4 and with the lights off well i will tell you accurately by the end of this post.

about the rock,

YES those are rubble pieces... this is something i have done since day one in reef tanks for me, when i get my LR i get about 2 pounds of the rubble pieces from the bottom(usually free) and scatter them in the tank, they are loaded with all kinds of crap as they have been sitting on the bottom for what i hope and believe to be a long time, when the cycle is over i will make them more neat and probably take some of them out, as some of you may have noticed i also put a lil piece of krill as well to get the ammovia kicked up.

day one of the cycle seems good, ammonia is up (.5), no nitrates or nitrites which is expected for day 1-3 or 4.  ph is at 8.2 and i havent done a calcium test as im not concerned with it just yet.  Today the tank is crystal clear and i really like how the rock came out, salinity is down so some salt will be added upon the first ewater top-off(tomorrow probably)

I added one fan to the light area to get some blow-by for the heat, we will see what that does.  So far i am real pleased with whats going on, i used tap water so i am waiting for my algae bloom here in the next few days...

My LR looks good, im a lil disappointed in the life on it, but i do have this one polyp thats pretty big, when i find some batteries for the cam, i will post some pics.

no questions yet, just an update...

oh and yes this tank is a 15 gal... stay tuned :)

thanks for the replies as always.

-g

Archived