ReefCleaners.org

Petco steps it up...WTH?

Mojorizn

Hit up my local Petco this afternoon for some cat related junk and to my surprise I see this:

photo%2520%25285%2529.JPG

ORA SPS and other assorted NICE frags that actually looked really good.

A 4xT5 setup with sump, skimmer, and everything. Go figure.

I'm gonna have to check back in a couple weeks and see what's up. Of course the prices were astronomical.

Understand that Corpus is still stuck in the 1980's ... so , if this is nothing new to ya northern folks ... apologies.

Would I buy from Petco? Hell NO ... but least those Ich/algae ridden SW tanks are gone ...lol

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Understand that Corpus is still stuck in the 1980's ... so , if this is nothing new to ya northern folks ... apologies.

Lol not even man. Petco's up here are just as bad when it comes to saltwater. But yea that's pretty crazy...never seen a petco like that before :huh:

My local petco is actually pretty awesome... The aquarium guy there got their store turned into a magnet store which means they can get some good equipment. Metal halides etc... They're getting 40 breeder frag tanks and he's trying to get a 75 gallon display tank. Oh and he's setting up a mini seahorse tank... It's so cool.

I actually stopped by one of my local Petcos yesterday after a trip to my usual lfs for giggles. They had the same setup there. I was quite surprised. And to top it off, the person working there was very knowledgeable. They had just got a large unpacked shipment in and she let me go through the manifest to see if there was anything I wanted before it hit the "shelves". The prices were even pretty decent. Wound up walking out of there with 2 mini carpets, a sebae, a sexy and frozen mysis for under $70. Hope they keep this up. But, sadly I'm a bit skeptical.

I'd buy from that petco, they are all independent and if yous has that tank then why not?

I have corals and fish 4+ years old from a petco in IL

Would I buy from Petco? Hell NO ...

I'm gonna have to go "test" them....

"I'll take that Green Star Polyp coral please", as I point to the Green ORA Acro.

Ya never know ...

Petco's are individually owned? Like buying into the franchise like a McDonald's? All Petco's up in Norther California, are all run by people through corporate offices. The design the inventory everything is done by corporate. Has something changed?

Either way, I wish my local petco was like this, I know a store manager out here, so I can get that hook up on stuff.

Are you sure they are ORA? Petco near my house has ORA price tags all over the place but all the frags are from A&M.

Make sure they have these plugs - http://www.orafarm.com/products/drygoods/coralplug.html

I picked up an A&M blue tort for $20. It's growing great.

I have a friend who works at ORA, she says that actually a large portion of their orders go to petco's.... dont know where... but that's what she says

Are you sure they are ORA? Petco near my house has ORA price tags all over the place but all the frags are from A&M.

Good point. I didn't take a close look at the actual plug.

The tag, stuck to the stand with 50 other tags, just said ORA Coral $69.95. Bout 1 3/4 ".

surgicalsense

My Petco has the same type of frag tank, but it looks like hell and the frags are over priced. They also have what looks to be a BC14 that looks like it is in some serious TLC. Shame...

Petco's are individually owned? Like buying into the franchise like a McDonald's? All Petco's up in Norther California, are all run by people through corporate offices. The design the inventory everything is done by corporate. Has something changed?

Either way, I wish my local petco was like this, I know a store manager out here, so I can get that hook up on stuff.

Maybe they aren't anymore?

I always knew them to be.

7. Can I own a Petco franchise?

At this time, Petco stores are company owned and operated. Unfortunately, there are no franchise opportunities available. We appreciate your interest in Petco.

http://www.petco.com/content/contactsubtop...=contactcompany

In any case, I only go to PetCo for the $1/g sale.

They have a pretty horrible track record for litigation.

My local Petco is great and yes they get lots of ORA corals and fish. It all depends on the store manager. My Petco's store manager has a 90 gal reef of his own his Fish department manager has her own reef tank. I have given both of them free frags and I get awesome service. They will even call me if they get something in they know I would be interested in. Like they got in a couple nice green carpet nems for like $35.00. I went and looked at them they were very nice and healthy but I would not dare put one in my 135 in fear it would eat my 5 year old Purple Tang.

The local Petco here also got a coral tank recently, it wasn't as stocked as the picture you posted though. Supposedly the worker there in charge of it, has their own reef tank at home one of our local members talked to them. They have been selling corals on their website for a while. I noticed it a couple months ago and was like I've never seen coral in their stores.. 2 months later, there you go.

PetCo is an independently operated franchise.

NO, they are not. They are all owned by one corporation. This being in one of the hundreds of stores is rare. Its what they call a rollout trend and probably seeing if it makes it. Or maybe this is a store that was once another company, Petco buys them and changes them to petco corp.

I'd buy from that petco, they are all independent and if yous has that tank then why not?

I have corals and fish 4+ years old from a petco in IL

Hey stevie, independent from what. They are all run by a corporation and are categorized by region and district. But all run under the same regulations and rules of the company. I should know, i worked for them for many years and recently left. the frag tanks is that they are running a test to see if it makes it. if it does they roll it out to the region and then company.

None of the Petcos near me would be able to pull that off in a million years. They're lucky if they can work the cash register =\

I heard that. Usually to busy sucking on there lip piercing at mine.

NO, they are not. They are all owned by one corporation. This being in one of the hundreds of stores is rare. Its what they call a rollout trend and probably seeing if it makes it. Or maybe this is a store that was once another company, Petco buys them and changes them to petco corp.

Argue it here.

Archived