Cultivated Reef

JBJ Unibody LED Fixture Video Review

Jruberti

I decided to do a quick review of the JBJ Unibody LED fixture but sadly the video does not accurately depict the color of the light at all. I tried to demo most of the light's features so just ignore the extremely washed out colors and shaky camera. If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Anyone else own the Unibody? I've recently had some trouble with the fan randomly making a high pitched noise.

I don't own one but I've done a bit of research on them. From what I've read it's not supposed to make that noise - if it does it's defective (the fan, not the whole unit) and JBJ will send you a replacement. I've seen a few other people with that same complaint, and JBJ replaced the fan for all of them.

I own one. Have had the fixture running for 2 weeks. My fan doesn't make a high pitched noise. Runs nice and quiet. Hopefully I don't have that problem. How long have you owned the fixture?

Hey Jruberti, I did see your review from a link over on RB.

Nicely done. And I see you chose this one over an AI Nano.

Good Luck with the fan. If you don't get a response from JBJ, maybe you can send a PM to Chris Jung, the owner of the now defunct nano-tuners? He is a member here and his handle is ccjung.

My unit had fan issues and a slight rattling noise intermittently. The light is great but fan runs loud for my taste. I am wondering if the fan needs to be runner at full speed which makes it noticeably loud.

Do both of you have mp10s? The intermittent nature you guys are reporting leads me to believe we have a harmonic vibration issue.

Can either of you try a few hours with the mp10 off and see if there is any difference?

Not trying to pass the buck, but the fans are very simple and aside from damage or a quality issue, the MP10 and it's motor are another possible culprit.

All is not lost. If its caused by the mp10, the solution may be simpler than we think.

Cheers

Chris

I just found out that the randomness (or illusion of randomness) of the high-pitched fan was caused by turning my computer on/off. When my computer is off, I can hear the high-pitched fan but when it's on (it's an overclocked rig and I use air to keep it cool so it's louddd) it just kinda blends in.

I turned my MP10 off for an hour and the noise is still there.

It doesn't really bother me, I just don't want the unit to overheat or something. The fan seems to be functioning properly but it just has that high-pitched constant noise while running. Also, is it ok to run the fan 24/7?

The mp10 has been off and I haven't heard the rattling noise but my main problem is the actual noise level coming from fan. Does it need to be run at full speed for it to effectively cool the unit?

I guess the noise is just a huge peeve for me. I'm gauging it against my computer fans but I'm no expert.

@Jruberti - 24/7 is fine.

@cappy361 - You can replace the stock power supply with one of a lower voltage. We recommend a minimum 7v. Its a 2.1mm jack.

We aimed for maximum cooling to increase the longevity of the LEDs & keep efficiency up. Surprisingly, the performance of the heatsink surpassed our expectations, so it would be safe to downrate the power supply. We ship them with 12v versions, but you are more than welcome to change them to a different voltage as long as you keep it above 7v.

Thanks for the feedback and your support.

Cheers

Chris

I would love to buy one of these but can't find it in Canada, nobody seem to have them, and ordering them from the USA is insanely expensive in custom and broker fee...48$ just for Fedex to take care of the brookage and that does not even inclues the duty and taxes. :(

As soon as I can find one in Canada I will be bying it in blue or black. Thanks for your review!

Running it 24/7 is the preferred method because you won't forget to run it without the fans. With popularity of 3rd party controllers, we wanted to give the users an opportunity to control every aspect of their lighting systems, including the fans.

About dust - occasionally remove the cover plate and blow the fan clean and you will have years of troublefree operation.

Cheers

CHris

Hey guys... I just got this light on my nuvo 16.. Anyone running a controller with theirs? if so, which one? Also, withal controller is it possible to leave the blues on, like say.. 1% for moonlight?

I run mines with just the Apex controller. I have the VDM module but only problem is that I don't know how to hook up the RJ45 connection to the bare wire end. I'm thinking its a 2.1mm connection but have no clue where to buy it.

• 1 month later...
I run mines with just the Apex controller. I have the VDM module but only problem is that I don't know how to hook up the RJ45 connection to the bare wire end. I'm thinking its a 2.1mm connection but have no clue where to buy it.

Did you ever figure out what cable and how to connect the unibody to the RJ45?

I am having the same problem.

thanks

• 1 year later...
NanoOrBust

Any update as to the quality of light after an extended time frame? I have had this unit for close to two years now, and it seems that the light/par is starting to decrease as I am starting to notice the same issues that I would have if I needed to change my halide bulb. I used to change my bulbs every 3-4 months but I thought these LED's were good for 8-10 years? I didn't think I would need to replace it for at least another 4 years, but perhaps I am wrong?

Has anyone else thought of going back to halides? I appreciate your help in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update as to the quality of light after an extended time frame? I have had this unit for close to two years now, and it seems that the light/par is starting to decrease as I am starting to notice the same issues that I would have if I needed to change my halide bulb. I used to change my bulbs every 3-4 months but I thought these LED's were good for 8-10 years? I didn't think I would need to replace it for at least another 4 years, but perhaps I am wrong?

Has anyone else thought of going back to halides? I appreciate your help in advance.

I've had mine for a year, I was hoping to not see posts like yours above. I'm looking at buying a second (used). I was going to run two of them over a 55gallon. I've noticed my fan is pretty dirty and the housing seems to be getting hotter, I need to take it off the tank and clean out the fan. I have heard that heat will decrease the life expectancy of LEDs.

Archived