Cultivated Reef

new to me but used biocube 14g

Whataclownyoufrag

Whataclownyoufrag

Hello Nano-reef Family,

I would like some pointers, I just received a Biocube 14g, and its dirtypost-71198-1326287717.jpeg

Now it has black lava sand that I want to replace, the tank is running with a damsel in it thats how I received it and had to transport. It is really dirty, It has green algea on the back plastic and along the bottom where the sand meets the glass. How do I go about cleaning this since i am taking out all the sand. Do i dump water and get fresh saltwater( what i have has nice bacteria im guessing )? and clean with 1:1 mixture of white vinegar? Idk how my rear chambers are supposed to be set up from left to right chambers

1) pump

2) bioballs with the cover and a small round sponge on top

3) biocube filter and the a sponge in between where the little grooves are? my bioballs have nothing on them i dont know if that sponge in that chamber is stopping that. Should i also replace that blue sponge?

post-71198-1326288006.jpeg

post-71198-1326287770.jpeg

Also when I drain my tank it start to smell like bad sushi is that normal? lol could it be the sand thats really dirty?

Also how do you remove the hood to clean?

I want a mostly coral tank with one or two fish. I purchased some rock i have fiji with nice purple coraline and 3 indian ocean rock. Im happy with my aquascape. I just ordered a new filter, Hydro Koralia 425, fiji pink live sand, and api test kit, red sea hydrometer, what else do i need?

I know this is long but if someone could help guide me I would greatly appreciate it, thank you guys for your time, heres a pic of what it looks like.

post-71198-1326287718.jpeg

Drain the tank, and get a temp home for the damsel. Remove the sand if you want to change it, and throw it away (or keep if you really want)

Wash it out with water and vinegar. Scrub it with a sponge, and dot scratch the glass.

Once that's done rinse it with just water and try to get the vinegar smell out as much as possible.

Next, clear out chamber one (all the way to the right) remove the filter pad, and anything else in there. Remove the false bottom if not gone already. You're going to want to get a 50 watt heater for this chamber.

In chamber two (middle) remove the bio balls, and that sponge. Get a media rack (shop.mediabaskets.com) and you can run your carbon, chemo pure, whatever in there along with a fuge and some rock rubble. Cut the slot (where water runs from right into the middle) as far as you can to open the flow. Put the lid on and I like to place micron filter pads on top so it's easy to change and you can see the dirt.

In the last chamber you need nothing but that pump.

A 425 may be a lot of flow unless you're keeping sps, an then it's still pretty high.

Change the bulbs if the guy before you had them in for a while. Or you can switch to hoodless and get LEDs or retrofit some LEDs into the hood.

Then you can put some water in, add your rock, then your sand, and let it sit and settle. Then your cycle will take place and then get a clean up crew (reef cleaners has amazing crews) and after that it's time for your fish and coral.

the hood is removed by poping the tabs in the back.

there are 2 hinges with a plastic piece the runs through each one just pop it out and your good to go.

Whataclownyoufrag

Thanks a lot guys, you have been really helpful.

-Do i really need a heater my temp is constantly 77-79 is that ok I live in fl does not get too cold here and its in ac so not too hot? let me know what you guys think.

-I would like sps coral but i can change it for a koralia 240? please let me know because I placed the order.

-Also in the media rack can you guys tell me whats the best to buy and how it is set up or a link. That would help a lot....also do i use a blade to clean the glass once i drain everything because im scared of scratching it.

-whats the best route for leds cheap but good. Kind of wanted to have the tank running before i spend that money.

thanks again,

Eric

Heater is always good. It keeps it constant. Those tiny swings when the lights are on and off do affect it.

The 240 will be perfect. 400 is almost 40x your tank size and the regular return pump.

Media rack you can run micron filters (100 and 50 micron get out all the small stuff) on top, fuge on the middle and purigen, chemipure elite, carbon, etc in the others.

For the glass get a mag float, or just clean with a towel.

LEDs you can get a retrofit kit from rapid led (140 ish) or 2 par 38 bulbs (get them used for cheaper)

-Do i really need a heater my temp is constantly 77-79 is that ok I live in fl does not get too cold here and its in ac so not too hot? let me know what you guys think.

I live in South Tx and my heater hasn't clicked on in a year or two ... but, I have one in the sump anyway ...lol

No you don't need the thing on eBay. If you want it, get it. But its not necessary.

The media basket does a better job and helps make even flow.

The drip tray adapter is for your own preference. If you're having a fuge get the underwater led.

Whataclownyoufrag
No you don't need the thing on eBay. If you want it, get it. But its not necessary.

The media basket does a better job and helps make even flow.

The drip tray adapter is for your own preference. If you're having a fuge get the underwater led.

How do you remove the false floor in chamber one im trying but can't?

I used a wooden spoon in one corner and hammered it until the opposite corner popped up, then used pliers to pull it out. That sucker won't want to come out and if the unit has been in use it might be really caked in there.

Also, the fuge is optional. A lot of people skip it. If you look in the All In One Tank Forum there is a BioCube resource thread. It will have all the info you need.

BioCube Resource Guide

Archived