SaltCritters.com

Are test strips good enough for fish, LR and softie tank?

duganderson

I've met a lot of people who don't test their water due to the cost and hassle.

I"m wondering if the test strips are good enough to get a ballpark measurement to alert you of problems OR are they SO innacurate that they are worthless? I just bought a used 28 gallon nano cube quad with PCs. I have live rock, 2 small fish, and a couple softies. I'd like to add a frogpawn and some more softies.

If you think they're OK, which brand do you use?

Thanks, Doug

I"m wondering if the test strips are good enough to get a ballpark measurement to alert you of problems OR are they SO innacurate that they are worthless? I just bought a used 28 gallon nano cube quad with PCs. I have live rock, 2 small fish, and a couple softies. I'd like to add a frogpawn and some more softies.

If you think they're OK, which brand do you use?

Thanks, Doug

They're more than OK IMO, they're necessary.

Salifert and/or Hanna for PO4/Alk/Ca

Stevie sells them super cheap. I wish I had known that before I bought mine from petco for 50 bucks. On his website they are 26 bucks. I've had mine for a year now and still have ALOT!!

altolamprologus

OP is talking about strips, not kits. IMO they suck balls. I've compared them head to head with salifert tests and they are way off

I've met a lot of UNSUCCESSFUL people who don't test their water due to the cost and hassle.

Thanks, Doug

^corrected for you

This hobby is not cheap, and this is one thing you DO NOT wanna cheap out on. Get API liquid test kits, at a bare minimum. If you wanna cheap out even on the test kits, you might be in the wrong hobby, no offense.

Yah that's what I was saying, those stupid inaccurate strips cost like 10 bucks, might as well just pay 26 for good accurate reliable results!!

:blink:

Testing your params is easy and if you aren't doing it every day, it's not cost prohibitive.

The strips are hit and miss at best. Some come from good runs and are close, others are way off.

The API basic kit is cheap and accurate enough. I still use mine on occasion but maybe once a month ish...lol

Your only gonna need to monitor Amm / Trite / Trate every so often.

Your WC's will take care of the rest.

Don't waste your money on the high dollar kits.

But, if ya wanna spend some money on an EZ to use test, go with Hanna electronic kits when the time comes.

Bout $40 per, but super simple.

Archived