Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nitrates during cycling

Richs2k6

My nitrates don't seem to be lowering to zero like I had expected. I'm just concerned because everything else is reading fine. I started with live rock from an established tank. Is this normal considering the timeline below...

12/21 - Tank Start

Day 3

Salinity: 1.025

PH: 8

NH3: 0

NO2: 0

NO3: 12.5

Day 6

Salinity: 1.024

Temp: 79

PH: 8.2

NH3: 0.25

NO2: 0

NO3: 40 (added 2lbs live rock from LFS the day prior

From day 7 on everything remained about the same. The ammonia read .25 on a couple of occasions and around day 9 I began to get the algae bloom which doesn't seem as aggressive going on day 21. The problem is since day 7 the nitrates have been 12ppm, lowering to 10ppm on day 11 and have been the same for the last 10 days. Is that normal? I have barely had any ammonia readings and the nitrites have been zero since day one.

Also, I added a couple of clownfish a couple of days ago and so far so good. This week I have a CUC from reefkeepers.org coming to help clean up the algae and the uneaten food. Will this be too much of a bioload at this point? I bought the 10 gallon CUC even though the tank is 18 gallons just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your help!

in my experience nitrates will not typically go down on their own with out some sort of intervention. i run chaeto, a skimmer and around 2-3 in of sand, plus weekly water changes it keeps the nitrates to undetectable levels.

in my experience nitrates will not typically go down on their own with out some sort of intervention. i run chaeto, a skimmer and around 2-3 in of sand, plus weekly water changes it keeps the nitrates to undetectable levels.

I added the chaeto the same day I added the clownfish but it's only been a couple of days. I have about 3 inches of sand and a little more in the sump (had more in the display but took it out after I read that DSB's can be detrimental). Eventually I changed 5 gallons on day 8 and another 5 gallons on day 13, still the same.

Archived