Coral Vue Hydros

Pooh's 14G Cube

Deputy_Pooh

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How fast does the aqualifter pump in that config? I have mine al little lower inside my doors and its just drops into the top.

It drips the same on both levels. I just didn't feel completley safe with the pump being near my electrical outlets, so I moved it up..

Mailman dropped off my 20k bulb, aqua lifter pump, JBJ ATO and my filter media to hopefully last me until late spring..

d676e253.jpg

I love my new bulb :D .. Tank looks awesome with the blueish tint. This phone pic does no justice.

0cdf3d58.jpg

Even my dog loves the new look. :P

c144dc2a.jpg

Love the dog! Awesome thread.

Led looks great.. also one of the reasons I got an led... one for life .. also being able to keep anything and low heat ... its definately a step in the right direction...next thing I want is an mp10

Tested my water today...

Ph - 7.8

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5-10

I will cut back on the feeding and also do a half gallon more on my water change.

A little nitrate isn't bad - can help feed the corals :D !

Breaking news... :D

For those who have been following my cube since birth, I have a lil news/info regarding purple up.

For the 1st month I used part A & B calcium and alk additives. Once that ran out, I bought a bottle of purple up. I add 1ml to the tank roughly 5 days a week. Ive been doing this for about a month also. Now this week I notice my back wall is getting purple coralline buildup :o. I didn't think it wud react this fast..Great stuff..Even my powerhead has buildup covering it now.

My sps are looking alot better, I don't kno if its from this also, or the fact that I switched my lights to LED's. But I just wanted to let u guys kno that purple up is working and I reccommend it.. I'm also dosing my 75g with it now.. I haven't tested my calcium levels and i will be doing this shortly...

What power are you running your channels at? I can't seem to find a good balance for my tank, and I haven't had any significant growth since I added the light in December :(

Good looking tank!

What power are you running your channels at? I can't seem to find a good balance for my tank, and I haven't had any significant growth since I added the light in December :(

Good looking tank!

For the first week, I had my blues slightly above half and my whites at half. I only did that for about a week then I kept sliding each color up ever other day. Now both colors are at full power all day. I dont have a controller and I'm not sure if I will buy one or not. I don't kno if that was the best practice to do bc I never had any experience with swapping lights and getting proper coral adjustments. I just wanted my sps's to get back to normal bc they lost color being under the halides. Now my green acros are turning more greenish, and my valida has polyps popping out. Overall, there isn't any real growth yet. I jus see a difference in response from my corals. My acans are more puffier, and my button polyps are not stretching out as far as they were..

Breaking news... :D

For those who have been following my cube since birth, I have a lil news/info regarding purple up.

For the 1st month I used part A & B calcium and alk additives. Once that ran out, I bought a bottle of purple up. I add 1ml to the tank roughly 5 days a week. Ive been doing this for about a month also. Now this week I notice my back wall is getting purple coralline buildup :o. I didn't think it wud react this fast..Great stuff..Even my powerhead has buildup covering it now.

My sps are looking alot better, I don't kno if its from this also, or the fact that I switched my lights to LED's. But I just wanted to let u guys kno that purple up is working and I reccommend it.. I'm also dosing my 75g with it now.. I haven't tested my calcium levels and i will be doing this shortly...

Cool! My back wall has been sporting coralline on its own now for a couple of months, but I have also started dosing a bit with Reef Accelerator (Instant Ocean) to make sure iodine and calcium are good. I lost a couple of inverts, and since they are faves, do not care to lose anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
For the first week, I had my blues slightly above half and my whites at half. I only did that for about a week then I kept sliding each color up ever other day. Now both colors are at full power all day. I dont have a controller and I'm not sure if I will buy one or not. I don't kno if that was the best practice to do bc I never had any experience with swapping lights and getting proper coral adjustments. I just wanted my sps's to get back to normal bc they lost color being under the halides. Now my green acros are turning more greenish, and my valida has polyps popping out. Overall, there isn't any real growth yet. I jus see a difference in response from my corals. My acans are more puffier, and my button polyps are not stretching out as far as they were..

Beautiful tank :D I Love your sea life. :)

• 1 month later...
Deputy_Pooh

I haven't been on here for sometime now. Mainly because of the slow coral growth and no real updates. I felt there was no need to keep posting the same pics with hardly no growth. However the tank is still up and running fine and most of my corals have grown in the last 3 months since I've last been on here. My next update will be in June when my tank hits the 6mnth anniversary..

• 1 month later...
sfdanksta650

Hey pooh I just got the unibody too for my bc14. I have a mounting question. The clamp on mine does not look like its fully clamped. Is your this too? Is anyway you could rake pics on how its mounted? And how's that ato working?

Hey! Thanks for posting, even if no pics ;). I'm on cruise control, too -- and spending time on other people's threads instead of my own. I was glad to see you post, though -- always nice to know people are still alive and well :lol:.

Deputy_Pooh
Hey pooh I just got the unibody too for my bc14. I have a mounting question. The clamp on mine does not look like its fully clamped. Is your this too? Is anyway you could rake pics on how its mounted? And how's that ato working?

I used a dremel on my back wall and removed the lip. Mines sits flush and i have no issues with the mount. ATO is the best investment i have ever spent on my tank. aqualifter works great. I'm loving it.

Deputy_Pooh

Here's some updated pics from my cube as it has reached the 6mnth anniversary a couple days ago. Everything is doing great. Corals are healthy and showing signs of good growth. I love the LED's.

8031009c.jpg

712f639f.jpg

a1effa74.jpg

b2f8c2b6.jpg

fa29798b.jpg

b869e52b.jpg

Very nice! A "clean" design with good use of negative space -- :lol: -- I am practicing my tank-aesthetics vocab.

Deputy_Pooh
Thanks pooh for getting back at me. Im glad I got that jbj. Ill be bookmarking this thread.

The unibody has a section on the mount that has a slit for stocked frames as the biocube. But i went ahead and shaved down the back lip to allow it to be more flush. either way you should probably be fine. here's a pic of the mount from the side..

2e18ef2a.jpg

sfdanksta650

Yeah that's a good idea,im about to do the same. The fixture just does not feel solid. I appreciate the response!

Here's some updated pics from my cube as it has reached the 6mnth anniversary a couple days ago. Everything is doing great. Corals are healthy and showing signs of good growth. I love the LED's.

8031009c.jpg

712f639f.jpg

a1effa74.jpg

b2f8c2b6.jpg

fa29798b.jpg

b869e52b.jpg

:D Wow! How nice.Your tank has come a long way. :) Is that purple coraline growth in your tank already?

Archived