Innovative Marine Aquariums

Biocube top off

.:LOLLY:.

Being that the chambers are completely sealed off from each other (except through the designated vents) where is it that you notice your water level drop and time for top off with RO water?

Should I be looking for the water level to drop in the main display or the third chamber?

I think it would be the third chamber but just want to confirm.

Being that the chambers are completely sealed off from each other (except through the designated vents) where is it that you notice your water level drop and time for top off with RO water?

Should I be looking for the water level to drop in the main display or the third chamber?

I think it would be the third chamber but just want to confirm.

I have my ato float switches set up in chamber 3.

Chamber 1 and the display tank are connected. Chamber 1 overflows in to chamber 2 when the pump is on. Chambers 2 and 3 are connected at the bottom. Water pumps out of chamber 3 in to the display. Look at the sight glass on the side of chamber 3 to see if your water needs topping off. Ignore the Max and min markings unless you are using the bioballs. If you have removed them, keep chamber 3 full.

So since i don't have the bioballs and don't have an ATO, I should keep everything filled to the top and just manually top off when one chamber differs from the rest?

My biocube is an open top so it doesn't take much to look at the back chambers.

So since i don't have the bioballs and don't have an ATO, I should keep everything filled to the top and just manually top off when one chamber differs from the rest?

My biocube is an open top so it doesn't take much to look at the back chambers.

Pretty much. Check with the pump on - if you Max out the tank with the pump off, you may get a spill when you turn it on! Chamber 3 will be fine as long as it is quite full.

I keep mine close to the top of the sight glass.

If the water is FALLING that far down, you'll probably have problems with micro bubbles and noise. Just run it all the way up to the grate IMO.

Cool, my tank is currently near the top of the sight glass. I'm just going to mark the sight glass with a marker and just top off to that. Hopefully I can either get my hands on an ATO or get my girlfriend to do it LOL.

Pretty much. Check with the pump on - if you Max out the tank with the pump off, you may get a spill when you turn it on! Chamber 3 will be fine as long as it is quite full.

I keep mine close to the top of the sight glass.

I keep mine just above the sight glass as well. I top off manually so I just keep it monitored. Works out for me.

If the water is FALLING that far down, you'll probably have problems with micro bubbles and noise. Just run it all the way up to the grate IMO.

What will be causing the microbubbles? the pump?

The waterfall. Not an issue if it's going through a media rack or something...but again if it's falling 6+" straight down, it's going to make a lot of noise and bubbles.

I just don't see a reason to not keep it filled. What is the benefit of having it that far down?

The waterfall. Not an issue if it's going through a media rack or something...but again if it's falling 6+" straight down, it's going to make a lot of noise and bubbles.

I just don't see a reason to not keep it filled. What is the benefit of having it that far down?

Hmmm. the only water fall I can think of is from chamber 1 to chamber 2 but that is only about an inch in difference. The waterfall lands on the top shelf with filter floss on the top and purigen ziptied to the bottom side of that.

Chamber 3 is the one that is lower with the window gauge on the side of it

Chamber 3 is where I notice the drop off the most. That could be because chamber 2 is full of equipment, but #3 is where I keep my ato switch.

For those of you with a biocube29 either with the lid or open top, how often do you find yourself topping off and roughly how much?

For those of you with a biocube29 either with the lid or open top, how often do you find yourself topping off and roughly how much?

That depends on SOOOO many variables. From what I recall, I'd say with lid on I lost a cup or two a day.

That depends on SOOOO many variables. From what I recall, I'd say with lid on I lost a cup or two a day.

Seems about right to me. One of those things that I should really measure...

My biocube has been setup since 01.07.12 and I am noticing stagnant water in chamber 3.

Has anyone else noticed this and what have you done to correct it?

My biocube has been setup since 01.07.12 and I am noticing stagnant water in chamber 3.

Yes. Mine has been set up for almost a year now, and the water in chamber 3 where the return is, always seems to look "stagnant". I asked this question once before but was not provided an answer. Doesn't seem to affect it at all. Even though it looks stagnant, I am pretty sure the water is constantly being moved through the entire tank. If you put say Purple Up into that chamber, you will see that it all get filtered out fairly quickly.

the water may look like its sitting there forever but it definitely is being moved out.

some days i'll have to top off half a cup, other days i dont have to top off at all! i think the most important variable is how much the ambient room temperature fluxuates.

So you haven't had a problem with getting that "film" on the surface of the water?

Nope, no problems. If you see that film on the display top of the water, just angle your return flow to hit the top of the water to make it all circulate better.

That's how I currently have it. It's angled to hit the wall which deflects to the rest of the tank as well as to the surface. I have it to where the surface has a nice ripple going.

I was thinking about poking a tiny hole in the tubing from the return pump so it can leak out into chamber three to cause ripples but I guess that won't be needed.

Yes. Mine has been set up for almost a year now, and the water in chamber 3 where the return is, always seems to look "stagnant". I asked this question once before but was not provided an answer. Doesn't seem to affect it at all. Even though it looks stagnant, I am pretty sure the water is constantly being moved through the entire tank. If you put say Purple Up into that chamber, you will see that it all get filtered out fairly quickly.

I had the same issue. I noticed a difference when I lowered the water level in chamber 3. I put it to the maximum line and now, i can visually see the increase in water movement in the chamber area. This has to be more beneficial than before. Its slightly noisier, but not to noticable in sound.

Archived