SaltCritters.com

Help selecting clean-up crew?

duganderson

I got my first tank (yea!!!) which is a used stock 28 gallon JBJ Nano cube with about 25 lbs of live rock, powerhead, foam filter and natural filtration. It has 2 small fish. It has been set up and stable for over 1 year but I just moved it a few days ago.

My goal for this tank is a couple clowns and maybe one more fish, soft corals, and maybe a couple simple LPS and maybe a RBTA. Right now, the tank is bare bottom, but I will add sand soon. (by the way.....what kind of sand do you like too.....I'm planning to do 1/2 inch deep).

What do you recommend for a clean-up crew for this. Right now, there is quite a bit of green and red fuzzy algae on some of the rocks but others are fairly clean. I have three astrea snails right now but I could give these away if you had other recommendations.

I'm partial to cool looking and fun to watch clean up crew BUT I most importantly want a functional crew that will be appropriate for the goals of my tank. Please let me know if I need to wait to get sand for any of these now due to lack of sand. Please also specify how many of each if possible.

Thanks, Doug

No matter what anyone says, I'm a firm believer in turbos in any tank 10 gallons or above. I had terrible algae and nothing would/ could keep up. Spent over 100 bucks for cuc in a 10 gallon tank before shipping and all my parameters were perfect. I just waited too long between the end of cycle and water change/ cuc and there was too much to handle. One turbo even ate more turf algae that all 5 fuzzy chitons. My advice is get whatever reefcleaners tells you to, plus 1-2 turbos.

speak to John at reefcleaners who can guide you on the the size and variety needed for the CUC.

I have sand so I like nass snails, ceriths make the sand look littered but nothing beats their cleaning. I also swear by Nerite snails.

No matter what anyone says, I'm a firm believer in turbos in any tank 10 gallons or above. I had terrible algae and nothing would/ could keep up. Spent over 100 bucks for cuc in a 10 gallon tank before shipping and all my parameters were perfect. I just waited too long between the end of cycle and water change/ cuc and there was too much to handle. One turbo even ate more turf algae that all 5 fuzzy chitons. My advice is get whatever reefcleaners tells you to, plus 1-2 turbos.

I agree on adding a turbo or two but the rest of the cuc is a must

Archived