Pod Your Reef

Kyclops' 14G Biocube w/LED

Kyclops

Hey, I'm Kyle and I'll try to keep this thread updated with anything I do. Consider it my tank journal.

I set this tank up on February 12, 2011. I've had a few fish in and out of the tank, usually just swapping between this and my FOWLR 55g. Basically, I maintained this tank for about 11 months without adding any permanent residents, and now I think I'm ready. As of 1/8/2012 my first corals, and permanent fish were added to the tank.

14G Biocube:

Established: 2/12/2011 - life added 1/8/12

Filtration: DIY Media Rack with chemi-pure, purigen, filter floss, and a few bio balls.

Rock: ~17 pounds

Sand: ~10 pounds

Flow: Koralia 1 and stock pump

Heater: Aqueon Pro 200w (temporary, my 50w died on me)

Fish: Ocellaris Clownfish

Inverts: 2 turbo snails, 3 Blue leg hermits

Lighting:

Two Ecoxotic Panorama Modules in 8k/453nm (comes out to a 50/50)

One Magenta/445nm Stunner strip

Stock moonlights

Corals:

(If I get names wrong or don't know what it is, feel free to correct me or help me out)

White Star Polyps

Orange/green Ricordea

Crown Jewel Moon coral

Zoas

This is "Day 1", even though it's been established, the tank just got more life in it that it's ever had before!

I've also got a little bit of moving around to do, and hopefully filling the tank out a bit more.

1/8/2012

6664260597_ab75978d67.jpg

6664292351_c6281773a5.jpg

6664295803_a92f0286fe.jpg

6664467601_0e957ac74f.jpg

Yes, zipties. It actually worked out perfect.

I've still got a lot to learn, but hopefully this can keep track of some of my progress! If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to say something!

Thanks! I'm really excited to see how this tank matures! Hopefully adding more corals soon! I've only done a few and its already addicting!

Also, as far as my LED's go, I saw another member had previously fit three panoramas in his BC14, so I'm going to try to do the same. I originally bought three, but could only manage to rig two in there, so I'll try to fit the third and see how it goes!

I would recommend getting rid of the bio balls ,they will cause problem sooner or later if you dont stay on top of and keep um clean . Looks good so far.

I would recommend getting rid of the bio balls ,they will cause problem sooner or later if you dont stay on top of and keep um clean . Looks good so far.

Will removing them this late in the game be a problem for the tank, or do you think my rock and sand have the biological part covered? I was going to buy a media rack, or build my own, but it might be a good choice to take the balls out for now and stick something more useful in.

Also, I did rig up the third panorama, but didn't like it (the third one was a full strip of 453nm blue, and really didn't compliment the tank).

The blue one is going back no matter what, so should I just return the blue panorama and swap it for another mixed 8k/453 or just add a few stunner strips in place of the panorama? I think it's fairly good where it is as far as light goes, I might just have to accent my colors a bit. Part of me thinks another panorama on this will be overkill on light.

Nice.

A light diffuser of some sort will help out with the "disco effect" from your lighting and blend the colors much better.

This thread is a long read but well worth the info.

Just like one of those rough light diffusers from like lowes or home depot that you see on some florescent drop ceiling fixtures cut down?

I'll post an updated FTS tomorrow with some different combinations of my lights. I added a magenta/453 stunner strip today and added the stock moonlights back in. I'm going to try to even out my lighting a bit, but I'm not sure if I should put more blue in or not since my whites are considered cool white. I noticed in the thread there's alot explaining how to mix neutral whites though. =P

Looks good...my only concern would be cleaning that side glass..Your rock so close to it..no way to get anything in there...

Yeah, I noticed the same design flaw on my part haha. Actually the turbo snail has absolutely almost annihilated the right side glass' algae, and it looks like he's starting on the left side of the tank. When I got home from work, the snails and crabs were all on the rocks picking away at things. I'll try to get a thin nano cleaner for where my scrubber can't get. For once in a tank though, I must say, I REALLY like my rock setup. Past tanks have just been meh.

DIY Cube Nano Man

I would stock that tank rather slowly if you haven't had a constant bio-load in the tank because biological filtration (ie LR and bio-media) will only hold there marine tank life giving bacteria if they are fed too... No food(biowastes) = bioload drop = not enough good bacteria to handle a sudden increase in bioload and possibly new cycling spikes!! But yes I agree with the others on the bioballs - get rid of them - can cause major headaches 12 months or so after installation. Also lots of live rock is nice... but IMO it almost looks like you'd be hard pressed to actually fit any corals in there, and will be more difficult to get enough good flow around the tank with so much live rock type obstacles in the way. Usually in something the size of a 14G 3 moderate sized pieces of quality LR is enough, especially if you have alternate filtration other then the LR and WC's. Otherwise your corals will have no room to grow :) plus I wanna see some awesome pictures of great coral growth in your tank 12 months from now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sorry for not updating. My computer died, and getting on the site on my phone is a pain, so I'm on my girlfriends computer haha. Anyway, I've got a few pictures when I get a new computer or have time to get them on hers, but everything is growing great! I'm actually amazed at how quickly they're coming along, the LED's were definitely an awesome investment.

Everything still alive after removing all the bioballs?

Yes, the whole process went flawlessly, nothing was really affected at all, everythings growing and seem very happy (I just have to start gluing them down, the snails have knocked my zoas over a few times.)

I would stock that tank rather slowly if you haven't had a constant bio-load in the tank because biological filtration (ie LR and bio-media) will only hold there marine tank life giving bacteria if they are fed too... No food(biowastes) = bioload drop = not enough good bacteria to handle a sudden increase in bioload and possibly new cycling spikes!! But yes I agree with the others on the bioballs - get rid of them - can cause major headaches 12 months or so after installation. Also lots of live rock is nice... but IMO it almost looks like you'd be hard pressed to actually fit any corals in there, and will be more difficult to get enough good flow around the tank with so much live rock type obstacles in the way. Usually in something the size of a 14G 3 moderate sized pieces of quality LR is enough, especially if you have alternate filtration other then the LR and WC's. Otherwise your corals will have no room to grow :) plus I wanna see some awesome pictures of great coral growth in your tank 12 months from now :)

I was actually thinking of doing some moving around before I get too many more corals and permanant inhabitants, I love my scape but it is pretty bulky. Flow seems good, but it can be a pain to clean and keep corals on there with the slopes and all. I just am afraid of removing the rock, I know I got the bioballs out flawlessly, but I'm not sure if taking a large amount of rock and stirring up the sand is worth it.

Hopefully soon I'll get a new computer (I was really due for one anyway) and I'll throw up a few pictures. :)

Archived