Pod Your Reef

3 Gallon Long, Hawaiian Find!

brandolando4

brandolando4

I want to start off by saying thank you guys for dealing with all my drama and helping me out over the past year I really appreciate it. I attempted a pico tank with a fluval spec, but it ended up having lots of problems, and I didn't like how tall the tank was. So I tore it down and focused on my biocube 14.

After about 6 months I've decided to jump back into a pico tank. However I haven't been able to find a tank with the dimensions I like, short and long.

I'm visiting my dad in Hawaii, and I went to the fish store yesterday and found out you can't have any reef building corals in your aquarium....legally. However on my way out of the store I noticed this little beauty, it's a 3 gallon long tank.

I've never seen a tank quite with these dimensions but I think it looks awesome.

The tank is 12"x6"x6"

68bbd3ab.jpg

I plan on using an AC70 for filtration with chemipure elite and chaeto, I will eventually upgrade and buy the Stevie T media basket.

Hopefully my old par30 led will have enough coverage for this tank.

I have no idea on what to stock it with. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Hopefully the tank will make the trip home in my carry on luggage lol.

Brandon

brandolando4

Thanks, my cousin got it for me for Christmas, I have the same watch, but it is neon green!

I gotta find a tape measurer in my dads garge and it's so messy in there, I'm going to go rummage through it all tonight when it's not like 90 degrees.

Ok, a little advice, me personally, I wouldn't put the AC70 on that thing. I have an AC70 on my 10 gallon and the flow is extremely strong even on the lowest setting. I would reccomend doing an AC20 or so. Just my .02

Captain Hook
Ok, a little advice, me personally, I wouldn't put the AC70 on that thing. I have an AC70 on my 10 gallon and the flow is extremely strong even on the lowest setting. I would reccomend doing an AC20 or so. Just my .02

If you pull upwards on the intake tube, you can move it up about a half inch or an inch and can adjust flow accoringly even down to a slow drip, and what this does is create more water movement in the filter.

If you pull upwards on the intake tube, you can move it up about a half inch or an inch and can adjust flow accoringly even down to a slow drip, and what this does is create more water movement in the filter.

That works, but another thing you have to worry about the weight of the AC70 on the side of the tank. You could be risking breaking the glass from the weight or flipping the tank if it's off-balance.

brandolando4

Yah, I had an AC20 on my spec!! It was awesome!!

But I've seen AC70s on tanks smaller then mine. You can move the intake tube around, and you can put the smaller impeller fan from an ac20 into it. I think I'm just gonna mess around with the intake tube until I get the perfect flow! The main reason I want the AC70 is because it adds ALOT of volume and hides my heater!!

Do you guys think I will need more flow?

Thanks,

Brandon

JamieSheffield

Thanks for that...cool bit of advice about reducing flow on the AC70...I'll try that tomorrow...

Jamie

brandolando4

I thought about the balance thing, but the tank will be on my little breakfast bar, and I plan on pushing it against the wall, so that should balance it and the wall should take some of the weight as well. I will also prolly add something under the bottom of the AC70 to hold some of the weight!

Ps. Sorry of spelling or grammar is off I'm at the gym on my iPhone !!

But now I'm a little worried that the AC70 may be too tall for this little tank;( I gotta measure it when I get home!!

Weight shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then support the bottom of the filter with books is something.

You can also trim the intake tube to fit your tank.

brandolando4

Yah, I'm not worried bout weight. Lots of easy cheap fixes for that!! But I'm afraid that the hieght of the filter will be taller then my tank, I don't want a waterfall in my tank.

brandolando4

I get what your saying now!! Lol like I said I'm working out, I'm kinda out of it.

I have the stock little pump that came with the spec. I could use that to increase flow, but I don't know if it will even need it. I was looking at JBJ Picotope threads and some of them didn't have power heads ( ie Newman) and some do.

Actually Newman has a K-nano in his 3g, but it's covered with GSP :)

You could always add a pump in later if you feel it needs more flow

brandolando4

Nice catch Yoshi, I didn't notice that pump, but gsp does have a tendency to grow over everything. :happy:

BLoCkCliMbeR
You could replace the impeller with one from an AC20, or clip the tabs if you don't want that much flow.

you smarts

Today I ordered everything I should need for this tank!! Just FIY, amazon sells aqua clears for REALLY CHEAP.

38cf83d1.jpg

And Ii used to have a desk lap that I used for my par30, but it was big ugly and hard to get directly over my tank, so I plan on makin a DIY one. I bought this cord and some decorative lighting chain and I plan on hangin it over the tank.

286a1ec3.jpg

Thanks,

Brandon

Archived