ReefCleaners.org

want to set up Fluval 105 on my RSM.. need some help please

sammiewags

After moving my tank over to my new place (BIG HEADACHE :eek: ) I am thinking about setting up a second filter on the tank. I have right now the stock filters with the Media Rack ( chemi-pure, purigen, filter floss) and a Tunze 9002. I do have LR in my tank.

I have a fluval 105 canister filter that I was going to use for my planted tank but never took it out of the box, so now I want to set it up. :D

Is it a bad idea to use canister?

What media should I use?

Do I clean it out with my weekly water changes?

Any help or advice would be great!! :happy:

After moving my tank over to my new place (BIG HEADACHE :eek: ) I am thinking about setting up a second filter on the tank. I have right now the stock filters with the Media Rack ( chemi-pure, purigen, filter floss) and a Tunze 9002. I do have LR in my tank.

I have a fluval 105 canister filter that I was going to use for my planted tank but never took it out of the box, so now I want to set it up. :D

Is it a bad idea to use canister?

What media should I use?

Do I clean it out with my weekly water changes?

Any help or advice would be great!! :happy:

As long as you keep up on regular maitinence, canisters are no issue, but i would clean weekly

Thanks SRGaudio! :) Yeah, I think I will add this to my weekly clean as well.. any suggestions on the media? Should I use the same thing I already use on my media rack? or should I add something different?

ok.. after reading a bit looks like everyone says cainster filters are a pain and a hassle... :( kind of second guessing myself on this... could I just use phosgaurd in there and be okay without changing it once a week?

andrewguilfoy

I dont think it's a pain lol Well, I have a 305, and the media trays come out fine etc.. nothing is really hard to do imo, just needs to be changed. Yah know. The bio balls probably have to go as thats what everyone tells me. Other than that, some gfo, and yes phosguard would work just make sure it's in a micron bag, and change it every so often. I don't think you'd have to change it weekly though. Just sponges or floss.. and your carbon every month.

Archived