SaltCritters.com

crushed coral or fine sand

stshy

Hey, one of my friends just shut down his two tanks. He had crushed coral in one and fine sand in the other. I would wash them thoroughly before putting them in my tank. I like the look of thicker stuff because it doesn't fly around in the water from the powerheads.

Which one would be better?

If the sand, how do I keep it as white as I can?

joshnanoreef

I do not recommend crushed coral. I had it but switched to fine sand. It tends to get dirtier. I have a tiger conch, and it does an amazing job keeping the sand white without any effort from me. ;) You could also get a fighting conch.

so the crushed coral gets dirtier? Thanks

Pros and Cons to both. A friend has crushed coral, vaccuums it regularly and it looks insane. I like the look better than my sandbottom

so the crushed coral gets dirtier? Thanks

yes and no - i had a pistol who kept mine pretty clean.. to the eye it looked perfectly clean, when i went to move the tank i about vomited because of all the debris and stuff that collected.

Crushed coral is known to give spikes in the end and a detrius build up.

What about something with a grain size a bit bigger or more varied than fine sand? The extreme sizes seem to be more popular by far, but you can find something middling if you look around.

joshnanoreef

It's true that crushed coral is easy to vacuum. What I meant was that crushed coral tends to turn an ugly brown color, at least in my tank.... the finer sands are easy to keep white.

over time crushed corals looks great, coraling algea will grow on the larger pieces and shells in it. sand looks better on newer tanks. personally i prefer bare bottom.

My sand has always been white and my cuc turns weird brownish color with purple lol

I'd do a mix of fine sand and cuc. Like 75% sand 25% crushed coral

my tanks are usually a mix. One bag sugar sized and one bag crushed coral.

gives it a more natural look. usually i will pour the bags on different sides and blend it in the middle.. after syphoning the sand over the years though it eventually all mixes together.. still looks nice though :)

I'm actually going to be adding some crushed coral to mine. I just get too much sand blowing around so I'll put the CC in high flow areas.

From my experience, go for a higher grain sized sand but still smaller than crushed coral.

I have a 29 gallon tank and I just removed all the CC substrate because of uncontrollable phosphates and nitrates. HA was growing all over the place so I just siphoned it out one day and left it bare bottom for now. With that gone, the water is much cleaner and corals are much healthier. Even using filtered tap is still manageable than back then when I had teh substrate and was using RO/DI water. Now I can go more htan 2 weeks to do any maintenance.

I want to replace it with sand the size of pool filter sand that i use for my freshwater tanks. That doesn't get blown as easily but will move.

I've seen tanks with crushed coral but usually they are keeping more corals and a few fish.

I had the fine sand. You have to be careful about ph direction it causes a wild sand storm. I now have craibsea special grade sand. I can run the mp10 at a much higher speed with no problems. NO matter which you decide on I would consider getting new. Why start my new tank with old substrate.

Just my 2 cents. Now I'm broke :(

Archived