Pod Your Reef

John's 30 Gallon Mixed Reef

10g Reef

I have been on this site a while, and finally decided to make a thread for my tank. I originally started back in 2010 with a simple 10 gallon softie reef, but quickly felt a need to upgrade. My new tank has been setup for about 4 months, so I saved everyone the trouble of looking at an empty glass box. Here are the specs.....

Equipment:

30 gallon Marineland standard aquarium (36x12x18)

20 gallon long sump

Foster Smith aquarium stand

SWC 120 skimmer

Phosban Reactor 150

Autotopoff.com dual switch in-sump ATO

Maxi-jet utility 1800 return pump

Eheim-Jager 150w heater

Glass-Holes 700 gph overflow

Lighting:

Solar-Extreme 36" 4-bulb T5 fixture

Bulb combo: currently stock bulbs (10k, actinic, 10k, actinic)

Rock+Sand:

35 lbs. BRS reefsaver rock

about 20 lbs. Caribsea special-grade reef sand

Fish:

Currently none, LiveAquaria order coming soon

Corals:

Currently none, eventually mixed reef

Here are pics:

021.jpg

022.jpg

And my crazy nasty sump:

023.jpg

I also had a question about the scape. It currently is 3 rocks making the arch, that are not secured in any way. It is fairly stable, but I am wondering what is best to fully secure it? I was looking at some really stong epoxy on premium aquatics website, but was wondering what other people have used for building rock structures?

nor_cal_nano

You can drill them and secure them with PVC too I believe. Personally, I think it looks pretty good. Not unnatural like most arches I see.

It might look a bit too symmetrical, though it might just be the pictures too. Maybe try angling it a bit front to back or off to the side a touch? Just a thought. Looks great regardless.

Thanks. It is definately growing on me so I will probably end up keeping it. Also, you can't really tell by the pictures but it sort of goes from the front left corner to the back right. The large base rock on the left is about 3" away from the front glass, while the base rock on the right is almost 6" from the front glass. I am also planning to eventually put a clam in the open patch of sand on the right, which should look nice in that space.

Love the scape!!! I would definately "glue" that work of art together. It's easy especially since you don't have growth on it yet.

Like Nor cal said, you can drill some holes and slide some plastic chopsticks, acrylic rod, fiberglass rod and adhere it with epoxy putty and AC glue. I assure you, the rock itself will break before the glue bonds.

nor_cal_nano
Thanks. It is definately growing on me so I will probably end up keeping it. Also, you can't really tell by the pictures but it sort of goes from the front left corner to the back right. The large base rock on the left is about 3" away from the front glass, while the base rock on the right is almost 6" from the front glass. I am also planning to eventually put a clam in the open patch of sand on the right, which should look nice in that space.

Right on. I figured it was just the pictures ;)

Looks awesome. Probably more so in person.

Haha, I saw that. Well, I wanted to get everyone's opinions on stocking for the tank. It will be a mixed reef, but will have a fair amount of sps, so I don't want too large of a bio-load. I really love fish though, so we'll see. Hopefully the skimmer will allow me to keep the fish I want...

2 Perc. Clowns

1 Royal Gramma

1 Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse

1 McCoskers Flasher/Other

Not really sure on the 5th fish. What does everyone think? Too much?

What does everyone think? Also, any suggestions for a fish that will stay near the rockwork? I was considering a sixline, but I know they get MEAN. Also thinking about a small >2".... yellow tang. I know.

Ya I figured people would say that. I'm also considering a christmas wrasse, but they get 5". I may just get a small one and get rid of it if it gets large. I'm not sure if it would be okay with a fairy/flasher wrasse in this size tank though.

Like your scape. I have had success with the "sushi" style plumbers putty. Grey on the outside with a blue or green center. The black center is toxic, I think,so be sure to do your homework on that if ya go that route.

Find that stuff at HD/Lowes.

Ya could go with a YT with the plan to trade em off down the line. I remember a TOTM here that housed a YT in a 20L. That was an interesting discussion ... lol

Ya, I actually just ordered some stuff called EPOputty that is supposed to be much better than regular putty, and it gets rock solid and doesn't crumble apart like others do. It also can be applied and cures underwater which is a plus. I am still considering a small yellow tang, but we will have to see. In the next few weeks I am planning on placing an order with LiveAquaria for 2 Occ/Perc. Clowns, 1 Royal Gramma, and one McCoskers/Filamented/Orange-Back Wrasse. Any suggestions on which type of clown/wrasse to get? I am having trouble deciding. When I get these fish, I plan on putting 2 in quarantine and 2 in the main tank. If I get wild caught Perculas, I will put the wrasse and gramma in the main, and the clowns in qt. If I get tank bred ocellaris though, I may switch them. Either way I plan on giving the fish dips in Seachem Paraguard, then treating both the qt and main tank with Prazi-Pro. This will especially help the wrasse as they commonly come in with worms. Then I will add my last fish whenever I decide what to get. Any suggestions? Right now I am considering either a small yellow tang, or some type of goby (most likely YWG or yasha).

I am also considering a dwarf angel as my last addition. I would like a fish that picks at the rocks, so it could swim through the arch. That was why I was considering a yellow tang. I understand they are 50/50 at best with corals, but in my tank it would be very easy to catch, as there are no real caves or anything like that. The ones I would consider are the flame, coral beauty, and cherub. What does everyone think about this?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got my LiveAquaria order today. Everything arrived alive and healthy. Here is what I recieved....

2 Ocellaris Clowns

1 Royal Gramma

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

1 Sixline Wrasse

1 Green Zoanthid rock

Everything except the sixline was put into the display tank, and he was put in the sump and will be added last. I know this is a large bioload at once, but none of the fish are larger than 2". I am going to test regularly, and if I do see ammonia show up, I will move one or two of the fish to my bucket holding my extra liverock. The only problem I see so far is the fact that my tank only has 1 cave. If you look at my first picture, you can see a small cave under the base rock on the left side. The royal gramma went in the cave immediately, so now the watchman goby has no where to go. He is just sitting in the substrate and whenever he nears the cave, the gramma chases him away. I'm not really sure what to do about this, as I can't really move my rockwork.

Well I can already see my sixline could be a problem... If anyone cares. He is starting to lunge at my clowns on occasion, and has taken the cave that my royal gramma claimed. Anyone have luck with fish traps in case he gets too aggressive?

Well I can already see my sixline could be a problem... If anyone cares. He is starting to lunge at my clowns on occasion, and has taken the cave that my royal gramma claimed. Anyone have luck with fish traps in case he gets too aggressive?

Those guys are really good at hiding. Don't be surprised if you end up having to pull the rock to get to him :/

Archived