Cultivated Reef

Supertech99's 15g Triumphant Return to Reefing

supertech99

20160125_170558.jpg

This worked perfect. Super cheap and easy DIY sock holder. I may paint it black to dress it up a bit and hide the scorch marks from the torch.

That looks great and I am all about DIY. Just to play devils advocate here a bit I wanted to point a potential problem out.

From the pictures it looks like the top of the sock is resting on that pvc about half an inch or so above the glass sump. Now those socks can be great for filtration but in my experience they can become clogged very quickly and eventually begin to spill water out over the top. With the way it looks now that water could potentially go over the sides of your sump and cause a mess.

If you have lower flow on there or I am missing something please disregard. Just wanted to to help avoid a potential mistake I made :-).

Thanks for the feedback Tfish, I agree this is a potentional issue. I think I may be able to re-cut and try again and place it lower, I have plenty of extra pipe. I need to tweek it a bit because the drain line is much too stiff and I can't seem to get it to cooperate. It is black thick walled pond tubeing and its unruly. Currently it is running thru the sock but it's memory is not allowing me to manipulate it so it's not pushing against the holder and tilting the whole thing. Any ideas?

Edit: and yes, the flow is rather gentle so if it did overflow I think it would spill over gently into the sump. The pump is only rated for 150gph at this head and I turned it down to it's most restricted setting.

20160129_220045.jpg

I have a quiet and gentle slurp, I'd like to make it silent and the pump is already fully throttled down with the on pump adjustment. Any feedback?

Thanks for the feedback Tfish, I agree this is a potentional issue. I think I may be able to re-cut and try again and place it lower, I have plenty of extra pipe. I need to tweek it a bit because the drain line is much too stiff and I can't seem to get it to cooperate. It is black thick walled pond tubeing and its unruly. Currently it is running thru the sock but it's memory is not allowing me to manipulate it so it's not pushing against the holder and tilting the whole thing. Any ideas?

Edit: and yes, the flow is rather gentle so if it did overflow I think it would spill over gently into the sump. The pump is only rated for 150gph at this head and I turned it down to it's most restricted setting.

You could always hardline it with PVC but I personally like using the softer line. Most LFS's sell flex hose which is much more malleable and easier to position where you want it.

Also can you post some more pics in relation to your "slurp"? It could be coming from a number of things but usually is an easy fix.

I'm going to look for some tubeing substitute, the slurping has quieted down now, I think it was either air in the line that has cleared or just that it has developed a better slime coat now that the new overflow system has been running for about a week. Finally getting some correctly colored skim, although with just one clown fish that is only fed every few days I imagine my bioload is not huge. I dropped a hint to the wife that a clownfish mate is avaliable for my fish at the LFS for 35 bucks. Its a good Vday gift.

I had a small drip in my drain slip fitting, I buttoned that up today with some PVC cement and a unnecessary bead of silicone. I rescaped the rock and I'm really happy with, hopefully the anemone picks a place on the front of the rock. I also plugged up some holes in the overflow false wall that I had put there years ago for the powerfilter. I moved the WP-10 back to where I had it before. It seems to do a better job of limiting dead spots overthere. I'm happy with just about all of it except my skimmer. I've gotten some gunk on the neck but it really does not yet push bubbles up to the cup when setting the head at the bottom of the cup as others have suggested with this skimmer. The slime coat has formed and the microbubbles stopped but still only getting either gunk on the neck or overflows in the cup. Right now this thing is working about as good as a seaclone skimmer. I think we all know how useless they were. I am out of funds for new hardware so I'll be devoting my reefing allowance to livestock. Future hardware additions will include a RKL with ato switches and eventually a SL2. Right now the temp ranges about .6-.8 deg with the aquatop 100w heater. I am impressed with the thermostat on this heater. When checked with our medical grade thermometer and my super accurate digital BBQ thermometer it is only .2 different. When I ran a RKL on a old tank it held a sumpped 20L to .3 swings even with a hot PC light on it.20160204_100531.jpg

photobucket

20160204_122751.jpg

20160204_122805.jpg

20160204_122738.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

update time.......nothin. Nitrates are nada and raised the Salinity to 35ppt, temp is stable at 79.4-80, phosphates are undetectable. No valentine clown fish, everyone here, except me are sick. As soon as my LFS gets a good looking SA black n white it will be coming home with me. Nem is scheduled to arrive around the first of the month.

So my LFS told me that SA is having a hard time filling requests for the "chocolate" clowns, or any BnW clowns. Essentially a black and white ocellaris with a touch of orange on the nose. This seems unlikley to me. Anyone able to confirm this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, this tank is going on 6 years now and I am coming back from a mini crash. House sitter forgot to add top off. Out of town for about 3.5 weeks. Salinity was sky high and water was not pumping back into the display so temp dropped....surprised nem made it at all. That was about 2 months ago.

My wp-10 gave up the ghost and my new OW-10 is on the way in the mail. The original aqueon backup pump back into service. My nem is still kicking but retracted to a little white pimple on a rock. Eating still, feeding daily trying to bring it back.

Just trimmed my football sized cheato ball that I had in the display. I have grown to really like putting my macro algee in the display tank. It goes from football to baseball in about 6-8 weeks. Want to get a shaving brush to put in the sand.

I've been skimmerless for about 18 months now. Never could get it dialed in. Would be fine, then overflow overnight. It sits in a box now. Run gfo and carbon in a reactor. Filter sock lasts about 2 weeks but I don't feed clowns every day either. 

I think it is time to get a ATO......been looking at the hydrofill......i like the magnets but concerned about "conductivity" sensors. Anyone who owns one have an opinion?

If I can get the salinity more consistent I'd feel safe adding some lps.

20180127_201311.jpg

20180127_202531.jpg

20180127_202919.jpg

20180127_202827.jpg

New toy in the mail the new Jeabo OW-10, actually smaller than my dead WP-10. Looks like a wider flow pattern but same prop. Will likely suffer from same issues as others but new controller is attractive. Wave mode is different than on the WP-10, the prop slows but doesen't stop. It is giving things a good little back and forth sway. Pushing good water turned all the way down. In it's new position it is really helping sediment rise in the water due to the wave action and the rebound from how it is aimed. Should help keep the bottom a little cleaner with that flow pattern. I really love the form factor on these little pumps. Really wish they were more reliable. Oh well, at least i'm going in knowing what to expect. 

20180129_191031.jpg

20180129_192922.jpg

20180129_192933.jpg

20180129_193003.jpg

Just when I thought I could not jam another thing under this tank.......DIY auto top off. Found this 10ish gallon hefty brand box at Lowes and grabbed an old pump from the old fish stuff box in the basement. Salinity is still a tad low so will slowly be adding some salt back now that I can be assured of a consistent fluid level. The goal was always 2 black and white clowns and a BTA. Technically I guess I'm there but I am determined to bring that little dying nem back to former glory. Already starting to get a light neon green color back and growing new tentacle buds. The SA "clearly" micro pellets I picked up at the pet store is perfect for right now and the clowns love it too. Will try some shrimp chunks when he gets a little more size back. Giving him a pinch of the pellets every night right now. Salinity is at 33ppt with a swing arm. I know fish like a little less salty, what about nems?

20180201_215314.jpg

20180201_215300.jpg