Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Torch seriously injuring clown

wgostic2

Hi, I have a Picasso clown that has been hosting in my torch coral for several months. The problem is that the torch stings my clown repeatedly to the point where an open sore forms on the side of the fish. I have had to quarantine the fish multiple times to allow it to heal, but when I return the clown to the display tank it inevitably begins hosting in the torch and gets injured again. I have looked all over the Internet to see if anyone else has had this problem, but most people say the clown will only get black marks on it and will eventually adjust to the stings.

Has anyone had serious injuries occur due to torches stinging clowns? Any ideas why this may be happening to my clown? I am concerned the clown will die if I don't seperate it from the torch. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

-Will

These things happen unfortunately. The torch probably does not want to host the clown, but the clown is down for a little bondage and likes the pain.

These things happen unfortunately. The torch probably does not want to host the clown, but the clown is down for a little bondage and likes the pain.

LMAO

New user asks mom what is bondage

I wonder if this has anything to do with it being a tank-bred clown? I wouldn't think so, but it could be a possibility. Tank-bred clowns would never have been exposed to anything like this, so it is possible that he is not used to the stinging, and that is why this is happening. Honestly though, I don't think there is much you can do about it. Since it keeps happening, you are going to need to either remove the clown or the coral. Not really any other options.

HighEndOfTheLow

our clowns were hosting a massive toadstool on removal, they began to hot a 60+ head duncan. They had the classic black marks of burns, nothing more. Now they are spawning again and its all ok.

Removing a clowns host wont kill it. If a nem died in the wild the pair would move to another host. In a tank it might tank a while for them to choose something, ours took a couple of months- and in that time it looked like they were going to host the monti. cap!

if its causing open wounds i would look at removing the torch or the fish.

Hope this helps

Liz

It will take time for the clown to build up the protective mucus. It doesn't matter what he hosts but if it stings then you will have the problem all over again. I would let the clown do its thing and only remove the torch if it gets bad. Use your best judgement. Ever consider the sores are from something else like ich or another disease/parasite?

I've witnessed my juvenile O. Clown take to a frogspawn for protection when a Coral Banded Shrimp was trying to get it. Coral sting causes little "bruises" or black burn marks. If your clown is not getting these burn marks then I would look to anouther cause.

It is very possible that the clown could be cutting itself on the skeleton of the torch if the torch is receeding any or simply less than healthy.

• 1 month later...

Turns out that I think it was damaging itself on the skeleton of the torch as some people had suggested. Now that the torch has increased in size to ~10 heads this is no longer a problem. Thanks for everyone's help

Archived