Innovative Marine Aquariums

Quietest HOB or In-Tank Skimmer?

_Mitch_

The title says it all. I'm thinking about getting a skimmer for my 17.4g tank, but because it is located right next to my bed, I need something that will be very quiet. I have heard the Hydor Slim Skim is a good option. I should also add that I'd like a something with a surface skimmer option. What do you guys recommend?

Tunzee are loud. There hit or miss. I had one that was dead silent and it died. Bought a new one. Loud as hell. I got a aqua c remora right now. It's not to loud but my friend has a slim skim and I love it. Just won't fit in my nc 24

I am running the Aqua Maxx HOB-1 on the back of my 28g and it does make a little noise, but it is still more quiet than the pumps themselves....

I have the hydor nano skim. It is also pretty picky about water levels. It is pretty quiet though. Although by design it looks like the hydor can surface skim, it doesn't do any sort of surface skimming as the pump is too weak actually skim the surface.

I've got an octopus BH1000. The sound of the bubbles is louder than the pump. I'm not sure if it's the quietest out there, but I can't see one getting much quieter for a HOB. Quality is fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it over any other HOB I've seen.

I have an ATO on my tank but I'd say that water levels fluctuate a centimeter or so. Would this cause a Hydor Slim Skim or Tunze to make noise?

I have an ATO on my tank but I'd say that water levels fluctuate a centimeter or so. Would this cause a Hydor Slim Skim or Tunze to make noise?

My nano skim doesn't really change much in sound due to the water level. It just doesn't surface skim period.

My nano skim doesn't really change much in sound due to the water level. It just doesn't surface skim period.

Really? I was hoping that the skimmer could double as a surface scum cleaner.

Really? I was hoping that the skimmer could double as a surface scum cleaner.

I had a thick layer of surface scum that didn't get pulled even slightly by the intake slots in the hydor skimmer. I searched around and found other people had the same issue. I recently added a Aquaclear 70 and modded a surface skimmer and now my surface and tank is crystal clear. As far as skimmer performance i still haven't been able to dial it in to the correct settings to create anything close to dark skimmate. All i get is light colored tea.

Archived