Cultivated Reef

TinyGiant's 33L Frag System

TinyGiant

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caint wait to see your frag tank full of corals. looks great so far

to bad nobody can ship from U.S. to Canada..

I cant get super sweet corals here sometimes..

Looks good tiny. God I love those lights. The color is amazing! What color ratio you do

1:1 (so half blue and half cool white)

Evan and I are in great talks about a trade that will involve me getting a small group of mangrove seeds.

I might be taking the trim off this tank and Euro bracing it. Then making a pile of rocks come out of the tank.

i kind of sorta want to find a bunch of nearly perfectly flat rocks and drill holes for the plugs in it. Instead of using egg crate have an awesome shelving scape made from actual Live rock.

Then i could start frag zones.. so i could put a frag of polyps in the middle and have empty plugs around it.. so they will automatically spread to the surrounding plugs. then when i remove the plugs the rock will still have some polyps on it.. so when the new plugs are put in the coral will spread from the rocks to the plugs.

might order from here

http://www.liverockranch.com/catalog/item/...052/9082892.htm

are you afraid of heat issues on plastic pvc? Would be a serious concern i would have - i dont / have not used the gu bulbs.. but just worried about melting plastic etc..

Enlighten me though because i am curious to know temp wise how hot these bulbs get

you can hold the bulb without any sort of pain.

they dont get that hot. they couldn't melt anything plastic.

and the heat sinks dont actually touch the PVC anyways. the necks of the bulbs dont get hot. and those are all mounted to the ceramic sockets.. which are drilled into wood. plenty of insulation :)

you can hold the bulb without any sort of pain.

they dont get that hot. they couldn't melt anything plastic.

and the heat sinks dont actually touch the PVC anyways. the necks of the bulbs dont get hot. and those are all mounted to the ceramic sockets.. which are drilled into wood. plenty of insulation :)

good just looks like a semi fire hazard, as i have not used them(looking from an outside perspective) I don't know that i would consider wood an insulator... :)

edit- not trying to be rude up in your thread or derail it by no means, just others might have the same curious question/concern.

well the sockets arent even warm .. so it wouldnt matter anyways. but there is no heat even collecting in the tube. The right side end is open. if heat was collecting it would escape there.. i felt it today to see if any was building... nothing :)

edit- not trying to be rude up in your thread or derail it by no means, just others might have the same curious question/concern.

didnt think it was rude at all :)

no worries :)

i'm not 100% sure I am in love with this design yet.. but Its growing on me. Much better than running wires along the wall to suspend it..

i'm not 100% sure I am in love with this design yet.. but Its growing on me. Much better than running wires along the wall to suspend it..

running wires in pvc pipes was my trick to success in car stereo shows, Everything was clean etc - of course until you had to get into the bends. But when putting a board out, i would put clamps down and run the wires through them.. much smaller - only needed to be 1/2 inch for what i was doing. But you had very little visible wiring, and with fiberglass covering the tubes.. it was just amazing to look at :) Try your hand at fiberglass, if you have an old shoe buy some resin, and some fiberglass cloth and go to town.. :) (they recommend this for begginers actually)

Night shot!

actinic2.jpg

the blue is soooo rich the camera has a really hard time with it. anything not green wont show up on the camera. :(

looking forward to getting another powerhead in the tank. getting air bubbles and algae growth on the frag plugs

Gotta grab a small algea eating fish for the tank.. maybe a blenny or something

• 2 weeks later...

Couple videos of my frag racks!

building up a nice stock of frags to bring to the Frag Farmers Market in CT in March

Rainbow Monti

Blue Monti Danae

Orange Monti Cap

Purple Petal Monti Cap

Chilli Monti Cap

Purple Rim Monti Cap

Jason Fox Monti Setosa

Ora Green Birdsnest

Pink Birdsnest

Elephant Palys

Radioactive Green Dragon Eye Zoas

TG Riddlers Zoas

Orange Digi

blue tip stag

elkorn monti

Ring Of Fire Zoa

Watermellon Zoa

one baby polyp of Blue Tubs

tiny idaho grape monti

added a few small rocks of these to the system

tuttifruity.jpg

I ordered up 150 frag plugs the other day. I plan on bringing a ton of frags to the CT frag farmers market. I'll be doing a ton of fragging over the next couple weeks in preparation.

already have about 60 frags ready to go :)

been trying to add a good variety of macros to the frag tank, have cheato, gracilaria (red and green), red fern and some halmedia. Today I was able to score an atlantic Maidens hair macro.

we have a frag swap sunday and one of our members grows some really nice different macros. he usually sells them for $2-$4 each.

i'll be buying whatever dragons breath and other red macros he has.

I think a frag tank would benefit greatly from the macro filtration :)

just did a HUGE fragging

2 pink rainbow stylos

2 hawaiin starbursts

5 pink and gold paly

2 tickle me pink paly

2 green bay packers

1 pavona cactus

3 elephant palys

2 larry jackson

4 elkhorn monti

5 pink birdsnest

5 lord of the rings paly

2 orange digi

1 green digi

3 orange monti cap

3 tyree long tentacle toadstool leather

3 GSP

2 encrusting gorg

2 cabbage leathers

3 cephystrea decadia (branching meteor shower)

we'll see tomorrow what frags survived on the plugs :)

didnt even make a dent in my system.. made for some pissed off colonies though :)

the stand its on is an 18x60" i should have just custom built something.. but i got the tank for free .. so thats the size i went with :P

Archived