Coral Vue Hydros

55g Mixed Reef - Sumpless

ccapasso

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

That purple haze monti is growing like crazy. I just put the putty and snail shell there last thursday and you can already see that it is almost growing on them! It has come a long way from when I first got it with a huge hole in the middle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey how is the superman monti doing? Is it growing and still holding its color? I picked up a frag from the Critter on Monday. Yours looked awesome when you bought it.

It is doing great. The smaller frag is growing faster than the large one, but they are both doing good.

I am very impressed with how fast my purple haze monti is growing. I should be able to frag it in about a month at this rate.

Everything seems pretty good right now. I'll take some new pics next week.

The only negative right now is that something took and moved both of my new Zoa frags (Armor of God and Sunny D's). I'm pretty sure it was either a snail or my watchman goby!

Funny, I accidenatlly broke a small thin sliver off my Superman monti, so I mounted it as well. It's growing faster than the original frag as well.

I saw a pic of your taken a few months ago, it looked like a super nice frag!

Took some pics with my phone last night. Quality isn't the greatest, but at least you can see some progress:

Purple Haze Montipora Progression:

purplechalice.png

purplehazemonti.png

IMG_20120723_190019.jpg

2012-08-23180033.jpg

Acro Progression:

2012-05-25165910.jpg

IMG_20120618_220459.jpg

2012-08-23180105.jpg

2012-05-25165935.jpg

2012-08-23180137.jpg

Meteor Shower Progression:

metorshower.png

2012-08-23180014.jpg

Superman Montipora Progression:

supermanmontifrag.png

2012-08-23180124.jpg

Hammer Coral (from JrMiller) Progression:

IMG_20120723_185844.jpg

2012-08-23180113.jpg

Zoanthid Garden:

2012-08-23180345.jpg

Have u thought of a larger sand sifter like a conch or something like that to help with the sand?

Honestly, no I haven't. I have a bunch of smaller sand sifting snails, but no large ones.

Can someone id those white spots on the rock in the last picture titled "zoanthid garden"? A friend and i have been trying to figure this out.

Can someone id those white spots on the rock in the last picture titled "zoanthid garden"? A friend and i have been trying to figure this out.

Snail eggs.

Ah ok ty. That had crossed my mind. Are they stromatellas?

There are a few stromatellas in the tank, but I don't know what species of snails laid those eggs. I see them all the time but never see anything hatch out of them.

There are a few stromatellas in the tank, but I don't know what species of snails laid those eggs. I see them all the time but never see anything hatch out of them.

This kind of Stometella snail :

stomatella.png

They are reef safe and can usually only be seen at night. They are herbivores and may eat some detritus and left over food but not all species do (the common one found in tanks is S. varia)

No wrasse in the tank btw ... no 4 or 6 line and maybe even others as they will devour them.

FWIW

• 4 weeks later...

So I know it has been a while since my last update, so I'll keep this short, simple and to the point.

I've lost several Acan frags. Not happy about it at all. No idea why, but they just started dying.

I've added a six line wrasse (can't remember if I've mentioned that yet or not).

Due to certain circumstances, I've not been able to do a water change for about 2 weeks. Today however, I got my delivery! I'm officially switching to Reef Crystals salt!

With the exception of the Acan frags, everything else is doing great. All of the SPS are growing well and my Zoa's are really taking off.

• 1 month later...

Look who's fraggin' now (please forgive the look, everything was pissed off from the water change):

IMG_20121113_215205.jpg

IMG_20121113_215431.jpg

The frags in the back were taken from this mother colony:

IMG_20121113_215311.jpg

The purple haze frags were taken from this mother colony:

IMG_20121113_215249.jpg

The front left purple haze frag has been growing for a while now. The front right one was just made tonight.

Here are some other updated pics that I took while doing some cleaning tonight:

IMG_20121113_215924.jpg

IMG_20121113_220122.jpg

I'm going to do a test shipping with one of the SPS frags. Already have a candidate picked out and everything :).

I will be making more of the purple haze if you are interested in it. And of course I can make more of the SPS as well (same as the one you have now I think).

So I go to the LFS after work to buy 2 peppermint shrimp. These shrimp from the LFS are kept is a separate tank and only fed rocks with aiptasia on them. So I buy two of them for 9.99 each.

I get home and let them acclimate then put them in my tank. I put the first one in, and i swims down to the bottom of the tank. I put the second one in and my Maroon Clownfish (who my daughter calls Bad Bob) sees it, dashes towards the shrimp and eats it...one bite...done...

Damn you bob...I hope you like your $10 meal!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived