Cultivated Reef

55g Mixed Reef - Sumpless

ccapasso

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st and 3rd are my favorites. The 2nd frag should be really nice once it grows out.

As far as the 4th having RTN, would it be best to exchange it (I'm pretty sure I can) or should I frag off the sections that are not affected yet?

id take it back if you can. not worth the time to mess with this imo

Yup..just sent the guy a pm. Hopefully I'll hear back tonight.

Now...how about you explain the back of your tank more for me in your thread ? :P

Got a message back from the seller. Says that coral frag with the white in the middle was stuck under a rock for a good while and almost died. Since then it has recovered very well and the only bad area ins the white section you see.

Any additional thoughts?

I do know he's had the frag for months (I've seen it before).

Lol. Your nexus hates you >.< jk jk

Yes...yes it does :)

Any other thoughts/opinions on the one coral having RTN/STN?

IT looks like it died but I don't see bits of flesh or slime so the seller is probably right on that portion being covered. In my experience with montiporas, they do grow back, will take time.

With RTN the frag would be gone in a day or so, STN can be stopped if you cut off the affected portion or superglue the affected area to prevent a spread. In your case I think you are fine, keep an eye on it of course, pictures can only tell so much.

Cyphastrea looks beautiful.

IT looks like it died but I don't see bits of flesh or slime so the seller is probably right on that portion being covered. In my experience with montiporas, they do grow back, will take time.

With RTN the frag would be gone in a day or so, STN can be stopped if you cut off the affected portion or superglue the affected area to prevent a spread. In your case I think you are fine, keep an eye on it of course, pictures can only tell so much.

Cyphastrea looks beautiful.

Thanks Kat!

I was going to ask you which was the Cyphastrea, but I decided to Google it :). Guess I should figure out the names of these and properly label them :).

Since I'm still new to chalices and Cyphastrea (whatever it is, lol), where would you all suggest that these frags be placed?

The research I've done shows chalices don't like high lighting. Is that accurate?

I guess my main thought is do I glue them to rock or just set them on the substrate bed?

Spirofucci
Since I'm still new to chalices and Cyphastrea (whatever it is, lol), where would you all suggest that these frags be placed?

The research I've done shows chalices don't like high lighting. Is that accurate?

I guess my main thought is do I glue them to rock or just set them on the substrate bed?

Nice pieces! Yep, chalice envy. I think that cyphastrea is called a meteror shower. I have one and its growing quite well. Mine is still grey colored on the backround. Yours looks like it has that nice blue color!

That is right, treat a chalice like a ric.

So I can place them on my rocks, just not too high up correct?

Tank maintenance tonight:

15 Gallon Water Change

Removed all sponges and replaced

Removed Protein Skimmer and Cleaned Out - Nasty.

Glued all new frags in place.

Cleaned Glass

And this pic is just for Deckoz:

Acan.jpg

Looks sweet one thing about the back use some black poster board and boom set on the back also if it was my tank I'd do another AC 110 fuge more the better just MO. Looks sweet!

Looks sweet one thing about the back use some black poster board and boom set on the back also if it was my tank I'd do another AC 110 fuge more the better just MO. Looks sweet!

Thanks. And yes, I want to put a black background on it. I can't paint it, so I guess I'm pretty much stuck putting a black poster board of some sort.

As far as another AC110 - No more room. I can't fit 2 side by side and I can't fit 1 next to the protein skimmer.

I do have an AC70 that I could mod though and use :).

I was just looking through this and realized I have been slacking on the pics. I thought I uploaded them here but I have not.

I'll try and re-organize the first 2 posts soon as well to make it easier to read.

For now, enjoy some pics:

400111_10150527317533097_649278096_9025105_1268722774_n.jpg

426147_10150563647463097_649278096_9116944_1012813492_n.jpg

426318_10150615365293097_649278096_9291919_742081682_n.jpg

425705_10150619059773097_649278096_9304506_1461003589_n.jpg

So it looks like this chalice frag that I got has developed RTN or STN. Not sure. The edges are turning white.

chalice1frontview.png

Could this be caused by too much lighting? I have it halfway up in the tank. Is there anyway to stop it from turning all white ?

Archived