Innovative Marine Aquariums

55g Mixed Reef - Sumpless

ccapasso

Did some additional water tests yesterday. dKH and Ca are now back in line (thanks to dosing):

aquarium545.png

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki
Thanks! You should have gotten a piece while you were there :). Although what you did pickup is very nice!

On a separate note, I did another Mg test today and it worked! Water turned blue and there was .02 left in the syringe. Looks like my Mg is about 1500ppm? Isn't that the most it is meant to be?

It's mainly going to depend on your salt mix. Mine is usually close to 1500 with IO Reef Crystals. You can really crank up your Alk and Calc if your Mag is high enough.

So after some discussions it looks like I should switch my salt mix.

I've been using Instant Ocean Salt Mix and apparently it is meant more for FO tanks.

That being said, it seems the top to would be Red Sea Pro and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

I know this is a debated topic, but which does everyone seem to use?

Keep in mind my tank is a mixed reef with a variety of different corals.

d'Espresso

I use instant ocean reef crystal for mixer of different type of corals but they are pretty high in calcium. So u usually top it off Top off water.

Islandoftiki

I use IO Reef Crystals. So far, it's been pretty consistent from batch to batch.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit since I updated this and I managed to snap a few pics tonight before the massive 50% water change.

Fire Fish:

471069_10150875140828097_182207993_o.jpg

Yellow Watchman Goby:

478586_10150875145123097_1592059262_o.jpg

Green Bay Packer Zoas:

576665_10150875143623097_1601232422_n.jpg

Purple Haze Montipora:

479109_10150875144098097_2080027119_o.jpg

And, just for reference here is a pic of the purple haze when I put it in:

purplechalice.png

Just for additional reference, that is progress in a little over 1 month!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some advice on replacing the entire sand bed.

Reasons for wanting to replace it:

• I believe the previous owner of this tank did not ever clean the sand bed. I've tried to clean it as much as possible.
  • I feel the sand bed has become a nitrate factory and needs to be replaced.
  • I do 50% water changes and the nitrates keep coming back to 20+
  • It is nasty looking

Concerns:

• Not sure I can replace a little bit at a time. If it is a nitrate factory, sucking up a little at a time will cause massive spikes.
  • Do not want to cause harm to livestock.
  • Do not want to cause harm to corals.
  • There is a pistol shrimp and watchman Goby living under the sand bed.
  • Do not want to destroy Pod population with 90% water change.

Thoughts/Ideas/Plan of Attack:

• Drain water as if doing a 50% water change - Discard this water
  • Remove all live rock and corals and place in buckets/tubs (no power heads likely)
  • Catch livestock and place in buckets/tubs
  • Drain more water while removing substrate at the same time
  • Remove remaining substrate
  • Clean Glass and remove buildup
  • Place new substrate
  • Fill halfway with new water
  • Place live rock and corals back in
  • Fill up with water
  • Place livestock back in
  • Cross fingers

Unknowns/Questions/Etc:

• How much water should I replace?
  • I want to use black sand. Do they make non-live black sand?
  • Does the plan make sense?
  • What changes/suggestions/etc would you recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

albertthiel
Looking for some advice on replacing the entire sand bed.

Reasons for wanting to replace it:

• I believe the previous owner of this tank did not ever clean the sand bed. I've tried to clean it as much as possible.
  • I feel the sand bed has become a nitrate factory and needs to be replaced.
  • I do 50% water changes and the nitrates keep coming back to 20+
  • It is nasty looking

Concerns:

• Not sure I can replace a little bit at a time. If it is a nitrate factory, sucking up a little at a time will cause massive spikes.
  • Do not want to cause harm to livestock.
  • Do not want to cause harm to corals.
  • There is a pistol shrimp and watchman Goby living under the sand bed.
  • Do not want to destroy Pod population with 90% water change.

Thoughts/Ideas/Plan of Attack:

• Drain water as if doing a 50% water change - Discard this water
  • Remove all live rock and corals and place in buckets/tubs (no power heads likely)
  • Catch livestock and place in buckets/tubs
  • Drain more water while removing substrate at the same time
  • Remove remaining substrate
  • Clean Glass and remove buildup
  • Place new substrate
  • Fill halfway with new water
  • Place live rock and corals back in
  • Fill up with water
  • Place livestock back in
  • Cross fingers

Unknowns/Questions/Etc:

• How much water should I replace?
  • I want to use black sand. Do they make non-live black sand?
  • Does the plan make sense?
  • What changes/suggestions/etc would you recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me give this some though and try to figure out what can be done ....

You may wish to post any other info you have on this in the Ask Albert Thread as that is where I answer questions so maybe it's a good idea to continue the exchange there but it's up to you

Albert

Pics of some new frags:

Pulsing Xenia from Tidal Gardens:

IMG_20120618_220359.jpg

Acro from Tidal Gardens (white one in the back):

IMG_20120618_220417.jpg

Acro from Pacific East Agriculture:

IMG_20120618_220459.jpg

Dragon's Breath Macro from Keydiver:

IMG_20120618_220636.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake Acro from SaltyCritters:

IMG_20120618_220325.jpg

Welp, so much for the dragon's breath! Came home and it is all gone. I believe my Scopas Tang ate it all...Grrr....

• 5 weeks later...
Islandoftiki
Just getting back from meeting JrMiller and picking up new stuff for this tank!

Sweet! I'm going to be doing some trading/buying for my 10 gallon tank soon, too! I'm starting to add some SPS since my green slimer is growing like a weed!

Sweet! I'm going to be doing some trading/buying for my 10 gallon tank soon, too! I'm starting to add some SPS since my green slimer is growing like a weed!

Awesome!

After some of my smaller frags grow out, I'll try and ship you a SPS frag and see how it does!

Glad you got the mag test kit to work, I was going to suggest that your levels are probably north of 1500 which is only as far as the kit goes, and likely the reason for it not changing color on you.

High Mag is also the reason for a low dKh and low Calcium. Dosing is the only answer.

Did you make the switch in salt? I've used Oceanic which is a good salt and I use Red Sea Coral Pro as well.

And how goes the sand bed issue?

Glad you got the mag test kit to work, I was going to suggest that your levels are probably north of 1500 which is only as far as the kit goes, and likely the reason for it not changing color on you.

High Mag is also the reason for a low dKh and low Calcium. Dosing is the only answer.

Did you make the switch in salt? I've used Oceanic which is a good salt and I use Red Sea Coral Pro as well.

And how goes the sand bed issue?

Thanks Kat!

I've not tested Mag lately, but after my last 50% water change everything was in line. This also includes Nitrates! That is without me changing out the sand bed too.

I will be doing another big water change this week (hopefully) and will test again the next day.

I haven't switched salt yet as I needed to use up the massive bucket I had first. After it is gone, the next round of salt ordered will be different.

Ideally, I'd still like to replace the sand bed, but right now I have no time :(.

On another note, I'm thinking of re-doing the first post, lol. Removing most of the pictures and making it cleaner and easier to read.

Thanks Kat!

I've not tested Mag lately, but after my last 50% water change everything was in line. This also includes Nitrates! That is without me changing out the sand bed too.

I will be doing another big water change this week (hopefully) and will test again the next day.

I haven't switched salt yet as I needed to use up the massive bucket I had first. After it is gone, the next round of salt ordered will be different.

Ideally, I'd still like to replace the sand bed, but right now I have no time :(.

On another note, I'm thinking of re-doing the first post, lol. Removing most of the pictures and making it cleaner and easier to read.

Ease into the new salt, don't wait till the last drop in the existing brand. Get the new brand and slowly mix a little bit of the new with the old, gradually increasing the new brand till that is all that you are using.

Ease into the new salt, don't wait till the last drop in the existing brand. Get the new brand and slowly mix a little bit of the new with the old, gradually increasing the new brand till that is all that you are using.

Hmm...good idea. I suppose that would be better than switching cold turkey!

Well, I'm not quite out of the old yet so next time I place an order for more, I'll get the new.

I think I'm going with Reef Crystals.

That's what I am using from the lfs I trust. I have not have any problem yet but the corals and fish seem to like it. Only thing you need to be careful with reef crystal is they have high rate in salt so your R/O water should even it out.

Here are a few new pics:

This is the hammer that I got from JrMiller:

IMG_20120723_185844.jpg

IMG_20120723_185900.jpg

Here is an Ultra Armor of God:

IMG_20120723_185907.jpg

And here is my Purple Haze Montipora:

IMG_20120723_190019.jpg

I took the advice and put to pieces of putty around it. In addition I put an empty snail shell for it to grow on.

Archived