SaltCritters.com

What to feed a serpent star?

Zer0

they are scavengers for the most part, but occasionally i drop a few pellets down next to its den and it comes out to get them. also if you have any liquid food , put a couple of drops in the water and serpents will come running. mine seem to like the microvore from brightwell, 2 drops and out they come then i feed with pellets.

they are scavengers for the most part, but occasionally i drop a few pellets down next to its den and it comes out to get them. also if you have any liquid food , put a couple of drops in the water and serpents will come running. mine seem to like the microvore from brightwell, 2 drops and out they come then i feed with pellets.

Cool. Have you ever had any problems with it eating live things like snails and what not?

I had a large one about the size of my hand once. Every time I fed the tank, he would extend his arms from his hole. I started feeding him mysis, and he gobbled it down. Later I also fed pellets.

They've been known to eat some slow moving fish. (mine would've easily taken down a seahorse), so I'm sure they could eat some inverts if they wanted to.

Well i just have 2 clownfish so hopefully they'll be ok. Plus he's pretty small. The arms are pretty long but the body size is about the size of a dime.

I trained mine to take sea weed peices off of some tongs. Last night when I tried to feed my anenome a silver side, my serpent star came up and stole the entire fish from the anenome then shoved the 3inch long fish into his 1inch body. It looked like a tent with a tent pole that was WAY too long.

I trained mine to take sea weed peices off of some tongs. Last night when I tried to feed my anenome a silver side, my serpent star came up and stole the entire fish from the anenome then shoved the 3inch long fish into his 1inch body. It looked like a tent with a tent pole that was WAY too long.

Just creepy. I like mine, but I might remove it once I can find a nice small red fromia. Would rather have one of those then the serpent.

most of the serpent/brittle stars are relatively reef-safe but you have to watch out for the green ones

those guys are assassins

I haz a green and white one.. :(

mine is grey, it just comes out at night and alot of the time it just puts its arms out of its hole and then scoops everything into his den like a street sweeper. since my emerald crabs demolished all of the green alage i had ive been having to suppliment pellets for them and i always just put a couple by his house. think of it as having to keep the kraken at bay lol :P

here is a pic of him when i first started my tank

post-71045-1325673021_thumb.jpg

Stars of all kinds are insane eaters. They will just eat and eat and eat as much as they can find. Generally they are best left as cleaners without needing direct feeding if you have a tank with lots of critters and fish. They eat such a massive variety of stuff as food they should be just fine living off the missed food and poop scraps other stuff leaves behind. If you are really concerned you can directly feed just about anything.

• 2 years later...

Used to feed mine frozen cubes back in the day, the damn pig would shove the whole thing in at once and have a cube shaped bump until it would melt.

SantaMonica

Yea the green ones can catch fish at night. The bright red ones seem much safer, but are more rare to find to buy.

Archived