Coral Vue Hydros

ESPI 37 gallon 4/1/04

Armadildo

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do they need a clue? They are doing something that brings them pleasure and other people clearly like reading about it.

This us vs them mentality is just stupid and reeks of jealousy and does nothing to further the hobby of nano reefing. It makes all us nano reefers look like a bunch of wannabe reefer cheapskates.

Originally posted by matt the fiddler

the problem is the jerks who thinks size gives them experience.    no amount of $$ and quick bought corals can make up for 10 years of keeping a tank- or diving...

That I certainly agree with.

Signed, LTL, d00d with a small something (by the rules apparently), and a diesel truck. :D

matt the fiddler

pixelfish. i guess for a good example, look to the beginning of this thread.

on one hand we got very opionated remarks about a tank that didn't fit the "mold" some one with less than a year in the hobby has formed in their mind. on the other hand we got some one who has been keeping tanks longer than probably most people here.. [and is trying something very tricky to do.. such a tank not too many peopel could pull off] sticking with reefkeeping in general that long, with the results that guy had in my mind gives you a "tenure" so to speak.... especially when it comes to breaking the rules... it is the "tenured" people that i think are responsible for the hobby changing to where it is today, and where it hopefully will go.... ocasionally yea, some new guy might have a new idea, and it does wonders...

now, the mojo reef guy- going with our current theme.. lol [jan. reef of the month at RC] i think.. i woudl say i respect what he has done. he has been in long enough to see the life [and probably death] of several of his tanks.. he has done his own study.. does some major things that break the rules of the book on how most peopel agree to keep a reef.. yea he has colorful corals, but he has the depth [as it appears on a first glance] to back all that color up..

the frustration is with "veneer" reefers who parade themselves next to hand carved rosewood ones.. on the surface they appear to have some stuff. [and we all fit this catagory from time to time] but deep down you got the plywood it is covering...

the sad thing is some people don't care to learn the difference.. for themselves

posted by dave..

"I've had these same fish in the tank for near 5 years."

wow. dude B)

I see what you're saying but on the other hand, look at the negative remarks that's thrown around because people do choose to have reefs that are clean and have a "bonzai garden" look to them.

You have to remember that a lot of people in this hobby do have quite a bit of money and when you have a nice house you want to reef to look good and compliment everything around it. I don't want to sound rude but Dave's reef to the average reef keeper it looks like a forgotten tank in the back of a dirty LFS. If he can see the beauty in that then it's great for him and if it's nobody's business what his tank looks like if he's happy with it.

The same should count though for people who do choose to have 300 gallon starfire tanks with the latest and greatest equipment. It's their money and they should be allowed to spend it on whatever they choose. As for them not being reef geniuses with lots of experience under their belts, we all have to start somewhere and they just start off with more than most of us.

unless i am mistaken a "bonsai garden" is made to closely approximate the actual pairings of creatures in nature which exactly argues for dave's lagoon tank. it is about the beauty of the natural, process not artificially slapping animals together in a mish-mash that "looks purdy"...p

If you've been around the boards and you've seen the pics of some of nice Japanese tanks that have been posted then you will understand where the term came from.

As I said there is nothing wrong with Dave's tank, if he likes it great but there is no reason to put down other people who like a manicured look to their tanks.

Yes, look at some of the Japanese freshwater tanks. While I love them, and find them amazing, they have nothing to do with nature. They are unbelievably perfect.

movingshadow

Just to throw something out there: What about the current tank of the month over at reefecentral?!(http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/.../totm/index.htm)

It's a big tank, filled with lots of "purdy colorful sps" and a relatively large amount of fish, though there are TONS of examples of exactly this type of reef in literature (some great examples in vol 1-3 of the fossa&nilsen series), on the web (do a google picture search!) and through firsthand experience (dive photos or the like). I think what Dave is doing is damn cool and it's certainly a commendable effort to (re)create an actual marine biosphere/ecosystem like he is doing. I just don't think its fair to flame people who are envisioning tanks like the one below, which is also a recreation of an often found reef habitat. jmho though...

Originally posted by AbSoluTc

Its not the fact they have alot of money, a big tank, or a clean system.  

Its the fact they don't really appreciate it.  Its just another toy to outdo all the other toys they see.

Thats my point.

So how do you rate appreciation?

If you have x amount of appreciation, you get to have a y gallon tank?

Your comments smack of serious elitism.

Reminds me of something that happened to me in the eighth grade. I got a new pair of Air Jordan tennis shoes, that I'd bought myself. Some jealous kid said, "You don't deserve those shoes, you don't even play basketball often"

Gimme a break. I made the money, I bought what I wanted. Same thing with fishtanks.

hehe good job dave. your thread did a great job of stirring up controversy.

Abs, forget it. let it go. Not everyone has an appreciation for uniqueness. Money is so closely associated with a good reef because it takes money to buy the proper equipment that these guys are confusing your statement with jealousy.

however, for comparison's sake... take gil's reef. cheap as all hell but still gorgeous. it's certainy different isnt it? because gil actually had the patience to wait for things to fill in. kudos gil.

Looselyhuman

I think the only contrary position to Abs' is that knowledgeable people with big, beautiful reefs aren't all bad. I'm not talking about the guy whose first ever aquarium is a $25k exposition thread on RC.

Anyway...

As one of the "haters" I would like to point out that I am not at all against a tank that is well manicured, filled to the top with pretty corals and have nice equipment.

To be a blunt as I possibly can, the people that we are discussing here are those that jump into the hobby for the sheer fact that they are trying to out do someone else.

Let me put it to you another way...if you were doing the tank "for yourself" you would not set-up a thread that has detailed instructions on how you air lifted the tank in your house, knocked down 3 bedrooms to make it fit and then covered the exterior of the stand in Italian marble.

If its truely "for yourself" you would set it up, sit there and enjoy it. Not spend every waking moment on RC seeing how many people applaud your million dollar tank. It would be interesting to know if they post more on RC or look at their tank...

And yet there are pages of follow up posts on those threads of people wanting to know more and read more about their tanks. I've been participating on the different reef boards now for going on 5 years and while more and more people are going with large tanks, it's not a new phenomenon.

You don't like large perfect looking reef tanks, that's fine however don't start making assumptions about people who do have large tanks and can afford to knock down walls to have large tanks and fishrooms. It just makes you look jealous and petty.

Originally posted by JLTRUK

Let me put it to you another way...if you were doing the tank "for yourself" you would not set-up a thread that has detailed instructions on how you air lifted the tank in your house, knocked down 3 bedrooms to make it fit and then covered the exterior of the stand in Italian marble.

If its truely "for yourself" you would set it up, sit there and enjoy it.  Not spend every waking moment on RC seeing how many people applaud your million dollar tank.  It would be interesting to know if they post more on RC or look at their tank...

here, I made it easy by quoting myself.

I never once said that having a big tank is something bad...I simply agreed that MANY, yes many, of the threads at RC are guys simply posting to one up and show off how BIG their new tank is.

To put it another way...the whole big rims craze. First there were 20's...then 22's, then 23's, you can go as big as 26inch rims now. What is the point of such big rims...even if you have the $$ for the rims, the point is to one up the guy with the smaller ones.

I can tell you that maintenance on my 100gal tank is enough to occupy a pretty large chunk of my time, I could not even imagine how long it would take to clean something like a 500gal tank. Even with every automated tunze product on the market you would still have to dedicate on obscene amount of time just to keep it clean.

I would also like to add that I completly agree that "to each his own" and "different strokes for differnt folks". But I also agree that many of the people posting these gigantic aquariums are doing it for the attention and "respect"...not for personal enjoyment.

I am not asking anyone to side with my views, but the same way that people can post threads about their tank...I too can comment about it.

The point is, show me some big tanks that are OLD and still look like the day they were installed, and that the owner isn't bald.

Bigger does not = better, and the people with big tanks look down on people with "nano-tanks". I have ran the gambit, and have had to take care of THOUSAND GALLON tanks, and 10 gallon tanks for myself and customers/clients in the maint'nce biz.

Truth be told, big tanks are easier BECAUSE.... they take longer to get f*cked up, and you have more time to make adjustments.

Big tanks also COST more per gallon to maintain.

I've gone broke keeping a big tank in the past ( and yes I could afford it) but the upkeep is insane if you take care of a tank like you should IE: Premium SALT, filters, RODI, addatives, etc. Not to mention that to stack a big tank out, it takes a LOT of rock, and snad and then ........ THENNN>... OMG... Then to add the corals.....

CHA-CHING.....

CHA-CHING....

CHA-CHING.....

TILT !

KEEPING UP WITH THE JONSES is not a way to be a good reefer.

Healthy, happy animals, proper husbandry, and NOT OVER CROWDING and keeping the "chemical soup" compatable in a tank is what we all should strive for.

Many people's tanks I have seen are absolutely super and beautiful, but are just a hodgepodge of random "colorfull" choices and not placed in proper areas OR next to hospitable neighbors.

CORAL WARS do happen... and when they do, your tank will suffer unbeknown to you and your untrained eye.

Time and experience.....

like my first ( and legendary) signature

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.... IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

Don't be a Reef'tard.

Having a lot of money and resources discounts you from being a good reefer? You know there are people out there who earn more than $70-80 000 a year. I know people who drive crappy cars but have tens of thousands of dollars invested into their home theaters. People have the right to choose what they want to spend their money on.

Dave you're not the only person around who's been in reefkeeping for more than a year or two.

As I said before I've been around the reef boards now for going on 5 years, I think it's actually 6 come to think of it and I've always had a small tank and I've yet to recieve any scorn or have anybody looking down on me.

Chemical soup, unhealthy animals are not just symptoms of large tanks. Look around here and see how much stuff people try to cram into nanos.

I will admit to there being people with big ego's who have big tanks, but look around this place, you have people with corals in nothing bigger than jars who think they're Jacque Cousteau.

As for people spending more time on Reef Central than looking at their tanks, well I hate to point out the obvious but look around....

I don't think I have posted here. I like the Natty look. That sh|t is way "clean". I am envisioning a lagoon w/ a 24x24x12 I just picked up for a good price. Can you PM me a recommended book or 2 Dave?

BTW, My first tank was a nano, long before the big tank came into play. Does that mean I don't appreciate it? Naw, but I think the nano gives a much bigger respect and love for the hobby. It is so much more personal, I mean , you know the 1 or 2 fish, you know where the pods all hide.. you see every little sponge , or single zoo polyp. It really makes you appreciate these boxes.

Originally posted by Von digity

I always thought; the bigger the tank, the smaller the _____.

Like people who drive SUVs and trucks etc, etc, etc...

Von, I own a mini cooper and a ford f-250 longbed, where do i fit in :

matt the fiddler

though there is some excitement of me sharing blurry pics of my tank with you all :-) and sharing the coolness i find with others

thank goodness my girlfriend understands/ atempts to understand this hobby.. heck she drives with me out to the shops and looks in all the tanks, and is slowly learning and enjoying it herself..

ha interesting thread!

i think we can conclude here that Dave has his tank for his own personal pleasure and satisfaction, and probably doesnt have many guests that visit house to view his tanks, but if he does have guests then he probably spends much of his time explaining to the guest why his tank looks the way it does while his guests have a questionable look on their faces and thinking to themselves why the heck does the tank look like ####, but dave knows his tank IS the ####.

and the there are people who have tanks for show and to impress people and to compliment their home and look like a wonderful piece of art for people to go 'woo' and 'waa' over and tell them that those colorful things are corals and guests dont know what they are exactly but think it looks nice but dont realize the ridiculous amount of money you spent on a small piece of coral that doesnt really do much except sit on a rock but if u do tell them how much you spent on your tank and corals they will think to themselves how stupid you are for spending so much money on just 'colored rocks' ok thats the end of my run-on sentences.

if we're going to derail dave's thread anymore (brilliant piece of work dave.) can we at least keep the subject to money and reef size? An argument abour rc and nr and which is better really makes us look bad as a community. So please stop putting reefcentral down and duke it out guys.

Now, let me refer you back to

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...would+you+fight

let fight club begin again!

PS,

what other ppl do doesnt reflect on you.

so stfu, and post in my fight club thread, thanks in advance

Archived