Top Shelf Aquatics

ESPI 37 gallon 4/1/04

Armadildo

figured some of you crybabies deserved a new pic.

this is the old thread :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=Tank

I have gone for a lagoon outcroping patch reef type. All the species in the tank would be found in near exact proximity on on a real reef as found in the wild. The pictures really don't do it justice.

GALLERY : http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/espi/espi-0-rama.cfm Enjoy ! ps: Thanx Gil

EDITED FOR BETTER PICS 4=17=2004

1good.JPG

1Center.JPG

1lowleft.JPG

1All.JPG

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Arma#####

figured some of you crybabies deserved a new pic.

What did we do to deserve this? :ermm: Are we being punished? :D

me and the kittah.... I'm 'splaining to her the stuff in Latin.... she was confused, and said.... "Yeah yeah, but can I sit on a stool and chase them around ?" :D

Is that a regular 37 that is same footprint as a 20long or 29 on its side? I have an extra one waiting for something but am torn with what to do with it because of its heigth?

it is 20 x 18 x 25 high. it is a quite rare tank from Allglass.

I've been looking for another one for 2 years... no dice.

It has not had a waterchange in months LOL. It is fairly homeostatic, and I had to do a W/C this week when some caulerpa pellitelia decided to melt on me for absolutely no reason.

Compliments

2 electric blue damsels

2 Tomato clowns (mated pair)

I've had these same fish in the tank for near 5 years.

When DARTHBETTA died last year, I hessitated to replace any fish, then over the summer, in a heat wave, I lost my sailfin tang.

I added the 1 Spanish Hogwrasse in Dec 2003. It will get big, so it is a temp home, buthe is like a little puppy dog and has a great personality.

Thats pretty cool mr.ESPI.

Iv'e always thought a "lagoon" system would look cool, and it definetly does. But, what the hell is that PVC looking device in the corner blowing out all the bubbles? It's not a surge bucket's output is it?

I have a QUEEN skimmer running in it. It is a design from Japan, and it recenlty has reappeared on the market A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER ! than I got it for 8 years ago. It is an awesome internal skimmer. I also have a mini powerhead rigged to a custom H.I.T. Refugium I custom made out of a LEE'S Large Specimin collection container. I did a thread on it a year ago it still is on nano-reef in the DIY section.

Originally posted by pyrrhus

beautiful valonia!!

actualy you are mistaken here.

the actual species is "sea bottles"

Halicystis ( a form of Derbesia osterhoutii) It is always associated with a plate/sheeting kind of Coraline alga (Hydrolython or Sporolython) from the Caribbean.

Valonia is a "pest" algae and is often multi celled in a chain of expanding buds.

While some people see valonia as "ugly and detracting" it is actualy quite common in a shallow patch reef, and if it was absent from my tank, would not be "natural".

as to the N04 :D I haven't had that since the early part of this century

Oh, and I use BIO-SEA salt from Aquacraft and I dose regularly wiht Marc Weis REEF DNA and ESV B-ionic with an occasional splash of iodine and MAGNESIUM.

Smokin-Reefer

Ever since i read tullocks book I've been interested in making one of these exact biotopes. Looks dope.

Some people THINK they know whats cool.

most ultra-clean reef setups look fake and are played-out.

Lookin great espi!

Originally posted by Stingray

It's good to be a non-conformist. So I guess dirty tanks are not played-out.

^^^

Dirty ?

I think you fail to grasp the concept of REEFKEEPING.

It is not to micromanage every single aspect of a tank like a "god who lives underwater" and simply have a bunch of structured and "placed" corals of random assortment in a glass box filled with an aqueous solution, and then say "ooooo how pritty ! "

I fail to see the "dirt".

Please explain.......

EDIT: Let your tank run solidly for 4-6 years, and then come back and skof my tank ;) ......and at least I don't adjust the saturation HUEs LMAO...

EDITED FOR THE GRAMMARRRRRRR NAZI :D

I swear by it as an ocasional "pep talk" for your tank. Get the reef DNA. is is more concentrated. do NOT buy it retail. It will rape your wallet.

Originally posted by Arma#####

^^^  

Dirty ?

I think you fail to grasp the concept of REEFKEEPING.

It is not to micromanage every single aspect of a tank like a "god who lives underwater" and simply have a bunch of structured and "placed" corals of random assortment in a glass box filled with an aqueious solution, and then say "ooooo how pritty ! "

I fail to see the "dirt".

Please explain.......

EDIT: Let your tank run solidly for 4-6 years, and then come back and skof my tank ;) ......and at least I don't adjust the saturation HUEs LMAO...

Thank you for clarifying the concept of REEFKEEPING to me. I should be hoping my tank looks that good in 4-6 years then.

As far as adjusting the saturation Hues etc. come back in 4-6 years when you grasp the concept of photography and post editing for overexposure. It is an art, like your REEFKEEPING mastery.

arma#####---not to pick, but you misspelled aqueous. and your tank is dirty IMO. but none the less im sure you love it. and sometimes you just gotta go with what ever makes you happy! my only arguement would be that i have never been diving on a reef that looked that bad and im sure your level of PO4 and NO3 are wacked with all that brown algae growing, so if your trying to "keep it natural" go diving to see what natural really looks like. dont get ####ed, just giving some food for thought!

Forgive me, but I thought this tank was trying to capture the essence of a natural tropical lagoon system. I have no knowledge of what a natural lagoon looks like, but can only imagine that it is much different from what a natural pristine "reef" looks like.

Oh yeah and stingray, you obviously are a little prick. You think having short-term success with a 99 dollar POS nano-cube, keeping hardy corals gives you the right to talk alot of smack, don't you?

Archived