Cultivated Reef

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
land_lubber

I'm adding more LEDs over my tank for a better spread. There is going to be 60 all up. What do you guys think of these colours?

8 v Actinic

6 x Cyan

24 x RB

11 x 4500K

5 x 6500K

6 x 10,000K

I am thinking of taking out all the 10K and some of the 4500K and replace them with 6500K what do you guys think? too much cyan? should I add more actinic?

jedimasterben
I'm adding more LEDs over my tank for a better spread. There is going to be 60 all up. What do you guys think of these colours?

8 v Actinic

6 x Cyan

24 x RB

11 x 4500K

5 x 6500K

6 x 10,000K

I am thinking of taking out all the 10K and some of the 4500K and replace them with 6500K what do you guys think? too much cyan? should I add more actinic?

No 10K or 6500K, do all 4500K. I'm finding that a 2:3 ratio of 4500k to royal blue works better for a 14K look than the more common 1:1 ratio. Depends on how blue you want the tank to look. If you want 20K, go 1:2 with 4500k to royal.

What size tank is this going over? I've got 60x LEDs over my 55g:

16x 6500K

16x royal blue

16x violet

6x deep red

6x turquoise

It is WAY too much and turned more than 30% or so will burn any SPS in the tank.

jedimasterben
14 leds enough for a 10g?

I would do 15x as your base LEDs, and add another 10x exotics to have a full-spectrum setup.

6x 4500K

9x RB

4x violet (the "420nm" violet, not UV)

2x deep red

2x cyan

2x cool blue (get these from LEDgroupbuy)

Group them into five groups spaced evenly across your heatsink:

3x groups of:

2x white

3x royal

2x groups of:

1x deep red

1x cyan

1x cool blue

2x violet

Cluster each group as closly together as possible, and I would shoot for 3x drivers, one for white, one for royals, and one for exotics.

land_lubber
No 10K or 6500K, do all 4500K. I'm finding that a 2:3 ratio of 4500k to royal blue works better for a 14K look than the more common 1:1 ratio. Depends on how blue you want the tank to look. If you want 20K, go 1:2 with 4500k to royal.

What size tank is this going over? I've got 60x LEDs over my 55g:

16x 6500K

16x royal blue

16x violet

6x deep red

6x turquoise

It is WAY too much and turned more than 30% or so will burn any SPS in the tank.

Its going over my 30G. I don't mind that I will have to turn it down but my tank is SPS and zoas. I'm also going for a phoenix 14K look maybe abit bluer. If I do all 4500K won't it be too yellow? I find the 6500K leds to be a nice white colour and that the 10K leds overpower the RB's. Do you think I should add more Actinic Violets?

jedimasterben
Its going over my 30G. I don't mind that I will have to turn it down but my tank is SPS and zoas. I'm also going for a phoenix 14K look maybe abit bluer. If I do all 4500K won't it be too yellow? I find the 6500K leds to be a nice white colour and that the 10K leds overpower the RB's. Do you think I should add more Actinic Violets?

6500k from Aquastyle look awful over my tank. 4500K gives the best base coloration, then build with royals and exotics from there. I guarantee you that you won't get the color you're looking for if you use the 6500K, colors will be washed out more.

Violets LEDs do absolutely nothing for how the tank looks (trust me, learned that the hard way after buying 16x of them), they are only for growth and color pop, but using too much of them will burn your corals into bleaching. Found that out the hard way, too.

What are the dimensions of your 30g? I will make a better recommendation knowing the length and width. :)

icecool217

Jedimasterben has given me a good starting point with the LED's as well and you'd definitely want 4500k vs the other whites.

If you are looking for a 14K phoenix look, should do what is prescribed, and then add more blues.

I would do a 2RB:1NW to make it more blue.

Hey fellas ill be ordering a kit from him for my deep blue 58 gallon tank (36x18x20 tall) will 48 leds be enough or should I try to go with a few more. Im confused about optics as well. If i plan to run the fixture abour 8" off the water surface what optics would be best?

land_lubber
6500k from Aquastyle look awful over my tank. 4500K gives the best base coloration, then build with royals and exotics from there. I guarantee you that you won't get the color you're looking for if you use the 6500K, colors will be washed out more.

Violets LEDs do absolutely nothing for how the tank looks (trust me, learned that the hard way after buying 16x of them), they are only for growth and color pop, but using too much of them will burn your corals into bleaching. Found that out the hard way, too.

What are the dimensions of your 30g? I will make a better recommendation knowing the length and width. :)

My dimensions are 27 Length x 19 wide x 14 high. The dimensions are abit strange cause I am converting from metric plus I had the tank made to fit in a certain spot :D The Actinics I am talking about are the 420nm ones not the 395nm (not sure if they were the one you are thinking of). If you are talking about the same ones do you think 8 is alright for my 60 set up? what about the cyans? so you think I should use just 4500K and get rid of all my 10K and 6500K? thanks for your help by the way.

jedimasterben
Jedimasterben has given me a good starting point with the LED's as well and you'd definitely want 4500k vs the other whites.

If you are looking for a 14K phoenix look, should do what is prescribed, and then add more blues.

I would do a 2RB:1NW to make it more blue.

I don't think 2:1 would be best for 14K, 3:2 royal to NW should be closest.

Hey fellas ill be ordering a kit from him for my deep blue 58 gallon tank (36x18x20 tall) will 48 leds be enough or should I try to go with a few more. Im confused about optics as well. If i plan to run the fixture abour 8" off the water surface what optics would be best?

I would 8x clusters of the following:

2x 4500K white

3x royal blue

1x violet (not UV)

I would also do 6x clusters (in between the 12x clusters) of the following:

1x deep red

1x cyan

1x cool blue (get these from LEDgroupbuy)

Run your whites on one dimming circuit, royals on another, violets on another, and then the red, cyan, and cool blue all on one. You will need a few more drivers, but this will give you great control over coloration and give you a full-spectrum array. If you need help with the driver amounts, I can calculate the Vf.

If hanging 8" above the tank, I would do the widest optic that you can get for them. I would say no optics, but that will spill a ton of light out into the room.

My dimensions are 27 Length x 19 wide x 14 high. The dimensions are abit strange cause I am converting from metric plus I had the tank made to fit in a certain spot :D The Actinics I am talking about are the 420nm ones not the 395nm (not sure if they were the one you are thinking of). If you are talking about the same ones do you think 8 is alright for my 60 set up? what about the cyans? so you think I should use just 4500K and get rid of all my 10K and 6500K? thanks for your help by the way.

Custom tanks are the best. :)

I would do six main clusters like I described above for irupp33, and four clusters of exotics, run on the same driver configuration I gave to him. I can also calc the Vf for you if you need it.

Yes, the ones that are labeled 420nm, though they are not 420nm. No LED manufacturer at this moment makes an LED that peaks at 420nm. They actually all peak at ~405-408nm, and their full spectrum is ~380nm to around 430nm, but, for all intents and purposes, still give nice growth boosts. Royal blue and white don't hit any of that spectrum, so it's definitely a good thing to add in!

And yes, use all 4500K. It will give you the best coloration, hands down, compared to the 6500k and 10000K options.

jedimasterben I think for simplicity sake im just going to get the 72 dimmable DIY kit on his site along with a 30" heatsink from heatsink usa. Can you suggest the options and color combo for that particular kit?

jedimasterben
jedimasterben I think for simplicity sake im just going to get the 72 dimmable DIY kit on his site along with a 30" heatsink from heatsink usa. Can you suggest the options and color combo for that particular kit?

If you put 72 LEDs over that tank, you'll probably fry everything you put under it.

jedimasterben
48 would be the best bet then?

I think so. Then get 4x of the cool blue LEDs from LEDgroupbuy and you will have some extras of the ones from Aquastyle in case any burn out (I had three or four burn out on me, and I've got way more heatsink than they need, so I know it wasn't heat).

I'm thinking I might run the 24 white and 24 blue and then do a sepearte stirng of the exotic leds like you described. What do you think?

jedimasterben
I'm thinking I might run the 24 white and 24 blue and then do a sepearte stirng of the exotic leds like you described. What do you think?

What I would do is run every single color on its own drivers, so you'd need at least six drivers for six colors.

Most people don't want to do that (cost goes up, understandable), so I recommend running four drivers - white, royal, violet, and red/cyan/blue. You can't fine-tune the exotics (minus the violet), but together they'll make a white light, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I would not run 24 white and 24 blue. That will be way too much combined with the exotics, especially violet. I'd stick to:

12x white

18x royal blue

6x violet

4x deep red

4x cool blue

4x cyan

jedimasterben
What would cost look like for a setup like mine if I were tto do it that way?

You would need the following drivers:

white - 7-12 maxwellen

royal - 12-20 maxwellen

violet - 7-12 maxwellen

red/cyan/blue - 7-12 maxwellen

You should be able to get Ray to substitute the Meanwell drivers the 48x kit comes with for the four Maxwellen drivers since they are the same cost, roughly.

So that 48 kit is $175, the 4.1"x15.8" heatsink is $19, plus shipping (probably $45), the cool blue from LEDGroupbuy are $14 shipped. Then any extra wire (shouldn't need any), solder, soldering iron, some sort of mount, etc.

land_lubber

What colour are the actual cyans? and how powerful are they? I'm not going to do clusters since I have already made my heatsink out of 1 inch C channel, so will have 6 rows of 10 LEDs.

land_lubber

Oh and how does this sound now.

8 x Actinic

6 x Cyan

20 x 4500k

26 x RB

Too much 4500k? I figure I can get the red from the 4500k instead of using the deep red LEDs.

8 x Actinic

6 x Cyan

20 x 4500k

26 x RB

Too much 4500k?

oh yeah... Go with about 12.

jedimasterben
What would cost look like for a setup like mine if I were tto do it that way?

Oh my god I've been replying to your posts using the information I gave to land_lubber. I'm so sorry for the confusion, I knew something wasn't right when I was replying, but I didn't quite know what!!!

For you, yes the 72 kit would be best to start off with, you will have several LEDs extra if you want to add an extra cluster or two of white, royal blue, and violet.

16x 4500k

24x RB

8x violet

6x deep red

6x cool blue

6x cyan

What colour are the actual cyans? and how powerful are they? I'm not going to do clusters since I have already made my heatsink out of 1 inch C channel, so will have 6 rows of 10 LEDs.

Pretty bad idea to not group them together, you'll have disco going on very, very badly. I know this firsthand.

8 x Actinic

6 x Cyan

20 x 4500k

26 x RB

Too much 4500k? I figure I can get the red from the 4500k instead of using the deep red LEDs.

No, the 4500K doesn't have that much red. Without the extra red, your tank will look green because that's what cyan LEDs actually are, green.

I stick to my original recommendation, otherwise your tank won't be balanced.

Archived