SaltCritters.com

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

godfathernikki
it's a standard 5.5 with a 10 gal sump

gonna be sps dominated

wouldn't the 4500k be even yellower? i was planning on just doing a 1:1 10k:rb mix and running the whites lower than the blues to try and get about a 14k look. is that feasible? do these 10ks really look that bad in a 1:1 with the rbs? i'm trying not to overcomplicate this

I have to run my blues lower than my whites to get a 14k look. Mine also replaced a 14k mh, so I have a good reference point :) Whites are normally at 90%, blues are around 60-70%. It's not such a big deal since they are dimmable and I can adjust it to where I want, but if I were to do it again I would have gone with a warmer white.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
godfathernikki
how do I install these things omgomgomg

If your referring to building one, look in the DIY section, there are a couple led tutorials.

If your asking how to put it over your tank... well, that depends on what you want to do. Easiest method would probably be to use the hanging kit it came with and use it penant style.

I put mine in an old metal halide fixture. And for my future tank, im going to hang it from a 1x2 in the wood canopy.

What about a Mix of 10k and 6.5k I have 12x 10k 4 x 6.5k 16x RB

And going to use a Mixture of 24 what configuration should I go for? This is for a RSM130

Has anyone tried putting a 24kit over a 29 gallon?

I am upgrading from my 12gal to a 29 mixed reef(30w x 18h x 12d) and want to know if my current light will be sufficient.

Im not using any lenses atm, but I do have the 60degree ones, which from what I can tell from another post almost doubles the par readings, im hoping this will be enough to make up for the 6 inches or so of extra water depth.

I currently have softies and a couple lps, but future sps is a possibility

This is the same question I have too. I have a 28g NanoCube and I am trying to make a decision between the AquaStyle 24 or 36 Retrofit dimmer system. I really would like to order soon, and the price difference with shipping between the 24 and 36 retrofit dimmer system is signficant enough...especially if I go with the heatsink that comes with the kits. Hopefully someone will chime in on an answer soon to help us.

jedimasterben
What about a Mix of 10k and 6.5k I have 12x 10k 4 x 6.5k 16x RB

And going to use a Mixture of 24 what configuration should I go for? This is for a RSM130

You want your whites to be 4500k. This is pretty important as this provides you with great base coloration that, when combined with the royal blues, will not be too "white" and give the water a weird, washed out cast, and not be too red, which combined with royal blue makes your tank look purple.

I would do 10x 4500k and 14x royal blue if you are only going to do white and blue. If you want additional color pop, get two red, four violet, and two to four cyan.

jedimasterben
This is the same question I have too. I have a 28g NanoCube and I am trying to make a decision between the AquaStyle 24 or 36 Retrofit dimmer system. I really would like to order soon, and the price difference with shipping between the 24 and 36 retrofit dimmer system is signficant enough...especially if I go with the heatsink that comes with the kits. Hopefully someone will chime in on an answer soon to help us.

How many gallons the tank contains doesn't matter, but the dimensions do.

On a tank with a 30x12 footprint, I would do 9x 4500k white, 18x royal blue, 3x red, 3-6x cyan, and 3-6x cyan, arranged into three clusters. Optics will depend on how high you want to hang it. Up to 12" I would do 60 degree.

On your cube tank with 18x22 dimensions, you could get away with 5x 4500k, 10x royal blue, 2x red, 2-4x cyan, and 2-4x violet, but I don't know how SPS friendly it would be, if you'd ever want to go that route.

Would the 14 kit suffice for a 14 biocube with SPS? I currently have a 150W mh and want to try LED soon. If so would I go with 6 4500k and 8rb and add some other colors?

jedimasterben
Would the 14 kit suffice for a 14 biocube with SPS? I currently have a 150W mh and want to try LED soon. If so would I go with 6 4500k and 8rb and add some other colors?

That has a 14x14 display area, but with SPS, I would do the 24 kit. 8x 4500k, 12x blue, 1x red, 2x cyan, and 2x violet. Run the two violet and 11 blue on one string (yes, the driver can handle it), and the white, single blue, red, and cyan on the other string. Cluster the red, cyan, and blue smack in the middle, with the violets next to those, and the rest surrounding it, clustered as tightly together as you can. Run them with no optics if you are putting them in the hood.

How many gallons the tank contains doesn't matter, but the dimensions do.

On a tank with a 30x12 footprint, I would do 9x 4500k white, 18x royal blue, 3x red, 3-6x cyan, and 3-6x cyan, arranged into three clusters. Optics will depend on how high you want to hang it. Up to 12" I would do 60 degree.

On your cube tank with 18x22 dimensions, you could get away with 5x 4500k, 10x royal blue, 2x red, 2-4x cyan, and 2-4x violet, but I don't know how SPS friendly it would be, if you'd ever want to go that route.

jedimasterben,

Thanks for the reply. Now, are you saying that the 24 dimmable LED kit should be significant lighting for my 28g NanoCube, as I want to be able to keep any SPS, LPS, Softies, and Clams---or should I go with the 36 dimmable LED instead?

jedimasterben
jedimasterben,

Thanks for the reply. Now, are you saying that the 24 dimmable LED kit should be significant lighting for my 28g NanoCube, as I want to be able to keep any SPS, LPS, Softies, and Clams---or should I go with the 36 dimmable LED instead?

The 36 would definitely give you enough oomph to be able to have any corals you want. I would do 10x 4500k, 16x royals, 2x red, 4x cyan, and 4x violet.

You want your whites to be 4500k. This is pretty important as this provides you with great base coloration that, when combined with the royal blues, will not be too "white" and give the water a weird, washed out cast, and not be too red, which combined with royal blue makes your tank look purple.

I would do 10x 4500k and 14x royal blue if you are only going to do white and blue. If you want additional color pop, get two red, four violet, and two to four cyan.

I am about to start the Build this weekend (Hopefully)

What I have is 12x 10k 4 x 6.5k 16x RB (should I order 10 X 4500k ?)

Anybody else got any thoughts on this?

I would have to order them in as don't have a source here in NZ

jedimasterben
I am about to start the Build this weekend (Hopefully)

What I have is 12x 10k 4 x 6.5k 16x RB (should I order 10 X 4500k ?)

Anybody else got any thoughts on this?

I would have to order them in as don't have a source here in NZ

Yikes, didn't know you already ordered them. Warmer whites bring out many more colors than cool whites (especially 10K) because they have a much higher CRI rating (color rendering index). If you have a low CRI light, there are certain colors in the corals that you just won't see, and your corals will stop producing as they are not receiving enough of the wavelength that "excites" that pigment.

The 10K whites will have probably around a 50-60 CRI, being generous. The 4500K will have around 60-70, again being generous. A CREE NW XP-G or XM-L has a CRI of 75, and a neutral white Luxeon Rebel ES has a CRI of 85, for reference, with higher numbers getting much much better with each step up.

The 36 would definitely give you enough oomph to be able to have any corals you want. I would do 10x 4500k, 16x royals, 2x red, 4x cyan, and 4x violet.

Okay,

I guess I will go with the 36 LED Kit. How about this arrangement:

16 RB

12 4500K Whites

3 True Violets

3 Cyans

2 Reds

jedimasterben
Okay,

I guess I will go with the 36 LED Kit. How about this arrangement:

16 RB

12 4500K Whites

3 True Violets

3 Cyans

2 Reds

That should work, too. B)

Yikes, didn't know you already ordered them. Warmer whites bring out many more colors than cool whites (especially 10K) because they have a much higher CRI rating (color rendering index). If you have a low CRI light, there are certain colors in the corals that you just won't see, and your corals will stop producing as they are not receiving enough of the wavelength that "excites" that pigment.

The 10K whites will have probably around a 50-60 CRI, being generous. The 4500K will have around 60-70, again being generous. A CREE NW XP-G or XM-L has a CRI of 75, and a neutral white Luxeon Rebel ES has a CRI of 85, for reference, with higher numbers getting much much better with each step up.

What about Algae Growth anything to worry about? I thought the Warmer was good for bad algae growth?

Thanks for the fast responses

jedimasterben
What about Algae Growth anything to worry about? I thought the Warmer was good for bad algae growth?

Thanks for the fast responses

Keep nitrates and phosphates in check and you won't have much to worry about. Most setups now are moving towards using neutral white, and there are no more reported issues of algae than before.

That should work, too. B)

Okay, I'm about to place the order. But, for the last consensus: There's a $70.00 difference between the 24LED & 36 LED DIY Dimmer Kit---this includes the shipping costs. As this is going on my NanoCube 28g, is the $70.00 difference to upgrade to the 36 LED worth it? I just want to make sure. I want the most affordable option that will allow me to keep SPS, LPS, Softies and Clams in this Cube without any problems. If the 24G will do the same, that's $70.00 saved and some extra cash I can put on corals, supplies etc.

jedimasterben
Okay, I'm about to place the order. But, for the last consensus: There's a $70.00 difference between the 24LED & 36 LED DIY Dimmer Kit---this includes the shipping costs. As this is going on my NanoCube 28g, is the $70.00 difference to upgrade to the 36 LED worth it? I just want to make sure. I want the most affordable option that will allow me to keep SPS, LPS, Softies and Clams in this Cube without any problems. If the 24G will do the same, that's $70.00 saved and some extra cash I can put on corals, supplies etc.

I doubt that it would be powerful enough for SPS. There is a chance you could get by if your SPS are high up in the tank near the lights, but if they aren't, some may not get enough lighting.

I doubt that it would be powerful enough for SPS. There is a chance you could get by if your SPS are high up in the tank near the lights, but if they aren't, some may not get enough lighting.

Thanks. Okay, the 36 LED Dimmer Kit Wins! Thanks for all your help. I will keep everyone posted.

Keep nitrates and phosphates in check and you won't have much to worry about. Most setups now are moving towards using neutral white, and there are no more reported issues of algae than before.

What about the 6500k Not worth it ?

That has a 14x14 display area, but with SPS, I would do the 24 kit. 8x 4500k, 12x blue, 1x red, 2x cyan, and 2x violet. Run the two violet and 11 blue on one string (yes, the driver can handle it), and the white, single blue, red, and cyan on the other string. Cluster the red, cyan, and blue smack in the middle, with the violets next to those, and the rest surrounding it, clustered as tightly together as you can. Run them with no optics if you are putting them in the hood.

Would the cyan and red add a color that is not very appealing? I've never seen any in person.

What size heatsink should I go with? Maybe from heatsinkusa??

Thanks for help. Will help when I order and know what to order

Would everybody agree that 4500k are better than 10000k?

I will place a order for 12 from Aquastyle and delay putting this together.

so it will be 12RB + 12 4500k instead of 12RB + 12 10000k That i got in the kit

This is for a RSM130

from what I have read that's what everyone is saying. Better coloring for corals and for us to see. When I order I'll have to go with them too :)

Archived