Pod Your Reef

safemode's Fluval Edge 6g

safemode

First the pictures...since that's what everyone really wants to see. Sorry for the reflections.

Fluval Edge 6g black. New LED model.

sw_edge_front_12-26-11.jpg

Zoanthids. Under actnic they are ridged with yellow and have a green/blue center.

zoa_green-yellow_12-26-11.jpg

Emerald Crab and a Bumblebee Snail

mrcrabbie_12-26-11.jpg

Firefish

spike_12-26-11.jpg

Nano Ocellaris

angel_12-26-11.jpg

Astraea Snail

astra_12-26-11.jpg

Details:

Inverts

• 2 Astraea Snails
  • 4 Bumblebee Snails
  • 4 Nassarius Snails
  • 1 Emerald Crab
  • 1 Peppermint Shrimp

Fish

• 1 Firefish
  • 1 Nano Occelaris

Coral

• 1 Zoanthid colony (yellow ridged green center)

Equipment

• Stock LED lighting (~3watts of mostly white 7500k)
  • Stock aquaclear 100 filter with media totally replaced by 250ml Purigen
  • Live sand base
  • Roughly 7lb of live rock
  • Generic 50w heater set to 75-77F

The tank has been active with all of it's current inhabitants since christmas eve.

I'm building a 9-15watt (depending on if i use 3 or 5 led's) all actnic led clamp on light to clamp around the stock LED light housing in the edge. Those parts should arrive in the next couple days. Once I have that light operating, I'll be able to get some more demanding corals. I'll post the build to that in another thread.

Building the light today. I'll post the build thread in the diy forum. and link to it from here. It will be 5 cree RB 3 watt led's on a 6.25" lightbar that I will attach to the stock light housing, dimmable and totally no modification to the stock look of the tank. (no lid extensions etc)

Edit: Cost of light is roughly 80 bucks total shipped and I had to buy everything (no freebies).

Everything is doing good tank-side. Snails, however, are becoming a nuissance climbing into the filter chamber and not being nice reef cleaners and staying in the tank. Since the purigen has had time to cycle through the water, I'm doing 1 gallon water changes throughout the day for the past day and into today to remove the nitrates and nitrites that were already present in the water since the purigen wont do anything about that. I should be down to a 0 level reading by tonight. Between the 250ml of purigen and live rock, I expect that reading to remain 0 for a very long time. So I plan on only top offs afterward.

I have an identical twin to my 250ml purigen bag for when the one being used needs to be refreshed (takes roughly 2 days ). So I should avoid any spikes that would have resulted from needing to clean out the purigen

Here is the tank now with the new light at roughly 400-500mA. 700mA is max.

sw_edge_front_1-1-12.jpg

And here is how the zoanthid looks with the light at this level.

zoa_green-yellow_1-1-12.jpg

Levels have zeroed out for nitrites so the cycling is complete. No deaths and everyone is happy.

I added 5 blue legged hermit crabs and 5 margarita snails. Bringing my reef cleaner crew to:

5 Blue legged hermits crab

1 Emerald crab

1 Peppermint shrimp

4 Bumble Bee snails

2 Astraea snails

5 Margarita snails

3 Nassarius snails

I also added a polyp colony that I still need to identify. Still shy though.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with frag stands other than bury them in the sand and hope your frag grows off it eventually? They are so unnatural looking. I can't stand how it looks. At least my zoanthid was on a piece that looks like coral (and is) so it is easily added to the reef.

• 1 month later...

Tank looks great. Love the firefish.

As far as the frag stands, maybe you could possibly use a dremel and shape the base to a more desirable shape or appearance. I hate seeing random frag bases too lol

Hope the suggestion helps

Both of those fish are really too big for that tank. Also, there's no such thing as "nano ocellaris", that's just a marketing scam.

Other than that, it's a good start. I haven't been following the edge, how new is this model? I didn't think the stock lights were good for much else but softies,but if that's all you plan on that's cool.

Both of those fish are really too big for that tank. Also, there's no such thing as "nano ocellaris", that's just a marketing scam.

Other than that, it's a good start. I haven't been following the edge, how new is this model? I didn't think the stock lights were good for much else but softies,but if that's all you plan on that's cool.

they seem perfectly happy in this tank. so I'll let them decide. And i know there is no such thing technically, it's just another name for basically tank bred clown fish. They're both doing great.

Archived