inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

oh no no no no Miss Candy, no transfers for a while yet. This tank needs to mature and start to hold its own before I start transferring. Today Johns army from Reef Cleaners came (KG brought it, we did an order together) and I have a million bazillions dwarf ceriths crawling around as well as other snails, crabs, macros, gorgonians. And the best part of the shipment: a wittle anemone porcelain! He only has one claw though but molting will fix that hopefully.

I have one blue knuckle hermit crab that voluntarily disconnected his hairy blue legs and threw them away. WTF! KG and I watched it happen. He is still alive he basically took off his arms and threw them! So now I can see him in his shell and I can clearly see his 'shoulder sockets'?? I don;t know what else to call it, what an idiot crab.

Pics and updates later.

Yeah I figured!

OMG WTF! Suicidal crabs? They dismember themselves! OHHHHH I have pics of the cat in the water I have to post them! BRB

Here is the link to the video of Milky playing in the dental sink. It has grates to keep the animals up and dry and then a regular stainless steel sink under the grates.

It DID happen. :P

Edit sorry copied wrong link.

Edited by FlCandy
oh stop it, that's just your cute Blenny.

HA she isn't yellow but yeah she was doing that the other day. Then she would scoop a bunch of water over the side and watch it splash on the ground. After 5 minutes it looked like someone had hosed down the treatment area. Crazy cat.

Sorry I had a semi blond moment (they happen to us redheads as well)

I can confirm, hermit crab was sick in the head. Not sure how it pulled all it's own legs off... don't think I even saw claws on it. I think it used it's mouth parts.

Also can confirm that ATO does "paw" and "other paw" for treats. And ATO has 24 toes. :o

I can confirm, hermit crab was sick in the head. Not sure how it pulled all it's own legs off... don't think I even saw claws on it. I think it used it's mouth parts.

Also can confirm that ATO does "paw" and "other paw" for treats. And ATO has 24 toes. :o

OMG! Sick crab, how will it get food????

HAHA he is a Poly-dactyl! Or a Hemingway cat! I love those mitten feet!

Mine used to fetch and would honestly fetch, then we got the dog and he got mad......

ATO has 22 toes, 6 each front, 5 each back. Front paws are total mittens.

I'll try to feed the crab tomorrow, crazy critter.

Can't they open regular door knobs? I know they have better balance as they have the extra toes but I always wondered about the doors. :huh:

Edited by FlCandy

Sorry to hear about the hermit, wierd!

So did you get the ATO set up?

BTW, I took you advice and placed a hanger instead of the suction cup for the tank sensor. I think its about 1/2" too low, but I'll see how it goes.

Also, I think I'm gonna get a radion!

I can DIY, and KG is totally awesome for guiding me if I do, I was just wondering about the cost/convenience/aesthetics.

The Eshopps and proflex look neat and standard and the size fits in the RSM cabinet. Since I've never built my own sump/refugium before, what would the cost be for building a basic one? Assuming all other components are constant (skimmer,reactor, pump etc) in acrylic?

I suppose building one from glass using stock petco tanks is the most economical if I can get glass baffles cut to size. And if I do build one, this is the route I am expecting to take (not acrylic).

Where to get glass baffles? Home depot?

ApiratenamedJohn

I know at home depot you can get accrylic sheets, not to sure about glass. You might just wanna google your local glass shops. Tell them sizes and compare prices.

I know at home depot you can get accrylic sheets, not to sure about glass. You might just wanna google your local glass shops. Tell them sizes and compare prices.

+1 we have a bunch of glass cutters near me, I can scope prices and give you a guesstimate as I am planning on getting 5 pieces cut for my Bafflesin the next week or 2.

Not that I have the sketch up done Andrew is a bit more confident and is saying oh it's just a box. LMAO

You can use acrylic baffles in a glass tank. That is the easiest way.

Yep, it works great but silicone doesn't bond anywhere near as well to acrylic. Like when i wanted to redo some baffles in my sump i just pulled the acrylic ones out by hand.

Picture updates

I think I might have a mussel HH! It has not opened fully all this while so I cannot tell if it has 'eyes' but you can clearly see the zig zag shell even in this blurry pic

IMG_2238.JPG

An Early birthday present from KG. The return of my designer tonga branch encrusted with coralline and some happy frags.

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

Limpets from Reefcleaners, on my GSP frag

IMG_2242.JPG

No pics of purple death early birfday present?! :o

Had to rescue it, it almost flew off the branch, was hanging on by a thread, it sits with the eagle eye polyp (yup that flyaway was the EE) in the sun corals cup in the BC ATM. Will wait for them both to stop being traumatized and re-glue. :flower:

Birthday is in 2 weeks y'all but thank you so much.