Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Caribbean anemone crab (Petrolisthes galathinus) - do not confuse with Porcelain anemone crab which are white.

Right now LiveAquaria has them, so does reefcleaners, bluezoo.

It comes in many colorations, mine is gray with markings that looks blue but sometimes look red. They also come in green.

surgicalsense
Caribbean anemone crab (Petrolisthes galathinus) - do not confuse with Porcelain anemone crab which are white.

Right now LiveAquaria has them, so does reefcleaners, bluezoo.

It comes in many colorations, mine is gray with markings that looks blue but sometimes look red. They also come in green.

Mine is missing :unsure:

Mine is missing :unsure:

your little white guy? he might have molted, he's a new addition right so likely stressed and that might cause him to molt. I would give it a few days. When you feed the tank next, squirt some mysis in dark corners just in case.

jedimasterben
your little white guy? he might have molted, he's a new addition right so likely stressed and that might cause him to molt. I would give it a few days. When you feed the tank next, squirt some mysis in dark corners just in case.

No, they would not molt because of stress, quite the opposite.

They molt typically when you do a water change, the fresh water does something to them that they're like "yep, I'm gonna jump outta my skin!"

That's one reason I don't temperature match my water changes, especially in my FW shrimp tank. I change about 50% usually, and every time I do, the shrimp immediately begin molting!

surgicalsense

Yes little ... but not white, it was similiar to yours. So it so much harder to find in the LR.

I am doing my WC today and mass feeding. Hopefully it will come out of hidding, if that.

I will do that, when I feed.

Cool crab, I've never seen one like that before. Are they "new"?

Nope, they've been around, they're porcelain crabs from the Caribbean.

No, they would not molt because of stress, quite the opposite.

They molt typically when you do a water change, the fresh water does something to them that they're like "yep, I'm gonna jump outta my skin!"

That's one reason I don't temperature match my water changes, especially in my FW shrimp tank. I change about 50% usually, and every time I do, the shrimp immediately begin molting!

Interesting. Mine have always molted when they've been added new.

Yes little ... but not white, it was similiar to yours. So it so much harder to find in the LR.

I am doing my WC today and mass feeding. Hopefully it will come out of hidding, if that.

I will do that, when I feed.

In that case he is likely hanging upside down in a dark cave.

jedimasterben
Interesting. Mine have always molted when they've been added new.

That's because they're in different water, dear. ;)

jedimasterben
Right, but the same temperature because I acclimate. Maybe it is water chemistry, not temperature.

I notice a significant difference if the water is a different temperature, much more molting occurs if the water is colder.

EDIT: Also, what I really am getting at is that stress will not cause them to molt. The last thing that a stressed shrimp/crab would want to do is molt and become much softer and easier to eat.

Edited by jedimasterben
jedimasterben
I wonder if the porcelain would get along with my pom pom? They're pretty neat little dudes!

Porcelain crabs, sexy shrimp, and pom pom crabs all keep to themselves.

The equipment update is almost done!

CPR nano tumbler, fluidized reactor running phos:

IMG_20120503_162557.jpg

Ecoxotic Panorama PRO 12K/453nm with accessories, a very generous gift from Ecoxotic

IMG_20120510_080837.jpg

Apex Jr

IMG_20120504_154011.jpg

Spectrapure RO/DI

IMG_20120430_205747.jpg

As KG said, I has allz the toys now! :happydance:

ScubaEthan

Goldy is right. You lucky duck. You are a pro now.

He is not quite nano is he. :D Very entertaining, fluffs mushrooms like they are pillows, hangs upside down in caves, walks around like a baboon with all arms out. But he scares me, I have run screaming from the tank when he's on a rock I've picked up. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I miss my Dingbat :( but mine was never nearly as social or entertaining or even seen like yours to begin with.

ScubaEthan
You better slip a pet ID micro chip into your clam.

HA! Finally found my way back to the hiphopomous story or however you spell it. Cute.

He's always got the best remarks.

Watch out for that clamnapper!