Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimasterben
I got the new coral magazine which has an article on phosphate binders. And possibly a clue to my Alk/Ca problem

"A certain amount of calcium-carbonate precipitation takes place on the surface of the adsorber, and observations suggest this is increased in the reef tanks in which iron-based phosphate binders are used intensively. This would not only result in the loss of calcium ions, but also reduce the carbonate hardness."

I use GFO in a reactor.

I can't imagine it would be nearly that significant.

:(

Once mine grows out, you can have a nice piece of it.

Ive got a massive coloy blocking up my overflow. Appeared out of nowhere...i never bought one.

jedimasterben
Ive got a massive coloy blocking up my overflow. Appeared out of nowhere...i never bought one.

send it to me? and anything else you dont want? :lol:

I got the new coral magazine which has an article on phosphate binders. And possibly a clue to my Alk/Ca problem

"A certain amount of calcium-carbonate precipitation takes place on the surface of the adsorber, and observations suggest this is increased in the reef tanks in which iron-based phosphate binders are used intensively. This would not only result in the loss of calcium ions, but also reduce the carbonate hardness."

I use GFO in a reactor.

Look...can we dispense with formalities ?

With all due respect - in a 50 gallon system i could get your parameters straight in 3 days. Your simply not adding enough. You have been batteling this problem ever since I signed on to NR and it should/could have been resolved months ago. Its not the GFO, its not anything to do with you sps...or livestock. WHen Im not using kalk i add a measly 1.5 tbsp of buffer every morning, and 3 tbsp of calcium chloride 3 times a week ( monday, Wed, Fri) and Im always dkh 10 - 12 and calcium 430 - 450. Really, its not that difficult!

Like Ben would say - J U S T A D D M O A R !!

Edited by ZephNYC
Look...can we dispense with formalities ?

With all due respect - in a 50 gallon system i could get your parameters straight in 3 days. Your simply not adding enough. You have been batteling this problem ever since I signed on to NR and it should/could have been resolved months ago. Its not the GFO, its not anything to do with you sps...or livestock. WHen Im not using kalk i add a measly 1.5 tbsp of buffer every morning, and 3 tbsp of calcium chloride 3 times a week ( monday, Wed, Fri) and Im always dkh 10 - 12 and calcium 430 - 450. Really, its not that difficult!

Like Ben would say - J U S T A D D M O A R !!

Sure. Let's dispense with the formalities you rabbit eating gimongous man.

What exactly am I complaining about this time that can be fixed by adding more?

So the on going problem has been low AlK and Ca, more AlK on the low side than Ca but low none the less.

Right this second however the problem is that the doser worked so good while I was away to the big D that I have super high Alk and it precipitated out the calcium, so calcium is rather low.

How can I lower Alk? Nobody seems to have an answer. Water changes are not helping. I'm adding calcium hoping it will help.

The low Alk and calcium is fixable and I had fixed it, before my Dallas trip.

:wub:

Is it that pink one you gave me a colossal piece of before?

I can't imagine it would be nearly that significant.

The article doesn't say, but I'm not going to discount it. In a system which has balanced parameters, a little bit of this and a little but of that does not hurt. But in a system which is already out of wack, every little bit of this or that makes another impact and sometimes in the wrong direction.

Edited by metrokat
So the on going problem has been low AlK and Ca, more AlK on the low side than Ca but low none the less.

Right this second however the problem is that the doser worked so good while I was away to the big D that I have super high Alk and it precipitated out the calcium, so calcium is rather low.

How can I lower Alk? Nobody seems to have an answer. Water changes are not helping. I'm adding calcium hoping it will help.

The low Alk and calcium is fixable and I had fixed it, before my Dallas trip.

:wub:

Is it that pink one you gave me a colossal piece of before?

Lowering DKH is very very complicated. You have to actually refrain from MESSING WITH YOUR TANK!!! LEAVE IT alone...stop doing watrer changes and I will bet you $100 it will be lower in 4 days.

A green colony popped up on the overflow right next to the pink one. ITs actually growing over the overflow and down the back!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry <---- this

Vinegar too has seemed like a controversial topic but maybe it will help.

Vinegar will only lower PH

Edited by ZephNYC
Lowering DKH is very very complicated. You have to actually refrain from MESSING WITH YOUR TANK!!! LEAVE IT alone...stop doing watrer changes and I will bet you $100 it will be lower in 4 days.

Baby, have a crisp $100 ready.

Sunday oct 28 Dkh sky high

Today nov 1 Dkh sky high

A green colony popped up on the overflow right next to the pink one. ITs actually growing over the overflow and down the back!

:wub::bowdown:

Are you SURE it's green. Things look all kinds of colors in your tank and then look utterly different in mine.

Edited by metrokat
Deleted User 3

Okay this might be an idiot idea.. but can you move everything over to another tank or tub (sand an all), rinse the sand, clean tank, refill with new water and kind of start over that way? I wonder i that would help.

Today nov 1 Dkh sky high

Are you SURE it's green. Things look all kinds of colors in your tank and then look utterly different in mine.

. I may be thick headed but Im not color blind!!!! LOL

Today nov 1 Dkh sky high

You dont even know exactly what your dkh is...i can tell from here. Its off the scale - you dont have a clue. GOT YOU !! HE heheheheheh.

Okay this might be an idiot idea.. but can you move everything over to another tank or tub (sand an all), rinse the sand, clean tank, refill with new water and kind of start over that way? I wonder i that would help.

:huh: Nope, it's not a pest problem or phosphates being leeched from sand/rocks. The consumption of calcium and alkalinity is a lot. Simply have to dose enough. I installed a doser which raised my alkalinity far too high. Trying to get it back down.

Stability is what's am after. That's why I bought doser. Not sure why the doser raised alkalinity far higher than calculations allowed.

Edited by metrokat
You dont even know exactly what your dkh is...i can tell from here. Its off the scale - you dont have a clue. GOT YOU !! HE heheheheheh.

Call me darling, I'll tell you what my Dkh is. It's just a number on a test kit. I know how to read. But

I haven't talked to you in ages.....

jedimasterben

I'd do an incredible water change and start from a fresh plate. Stuff will be pissed off, but they'll be less pissed off than the crazy fluctuations you've got going on right now.

Zeph, you need to make me a pack of all kinds of crazy #### and send to me. How I will pay for it I have no idea since I have no 'fish budget' anymore, but it'll work. Or something. Kinda.

101% water change with perfect params... Use kalk to keep up with it. Bada bing bada boom.

:)

I did not see bens post OR tulips. Therefore, I'm claiming my post as the best idea of all time.