inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

While I am very sorry to hear of your losses and difficulties, I'm thrilled that you have power back and won't have to wait 2-3 more days.

I have a friend who works for Con Ed, and he worked himself into the ground yesterday. Just found out from him they expect to have the Wall St. network back up soon.

Alk is still sky high. Calcium is really low.

I am watching one of my pocillopora colonies RTN, I did a lugols dip, not sure if the remaining polyps will survive or I should remove it from the tank right away.

Alk is still sky high. Calcium is really low.

I am watching one of my pocillopora colonies RTN, I did a lugols dip, not sure if the remaining polyps will survive or I should remove it from the tank right away.

Honestly, I think it is much better to have high Alk & low Ca than the reverse.

I would give it 6 hrs before tossing it, see how it's doing then.

Honestly, I think it is much better to have high Alk & low Ca than the reverse.

I would give it 6 hrs before tossing it, see how it's doing then.

Thanks, will do.

73 degrees isnt bad. my tank is 74-77, usually 74. no heater, no chiller.

I would agree with you except mine runs at 78.5 and higher so it is a significant drop for my tank.

MANDARIN IS ALIVE!

ALL FISH ACCOUNTED FOR!

Oh thank goodness!

So glad to hear your Mandarin and other fishes are still alive after the storm! It makes me so sad to think someones hard work and dedication to their tank can be ruined by something so uncontrollable. I hope all the other inhabitants are doing well also.

I'm going to need new Calcium and Alk kits soon. Stick with Salifert or go for something else?

I like the Hanna Alk tester for sure and the Red Sea Pro for Ca + Mg.......no counting of drops and pretty accurate imo..

Check our the BRS vids on these test kits and then decide.

jedimasterben
I like the Hanna Alk tester for sure and the Red Sea Pro for Ca + Mg.......no counting of drops and pretty accurate imo..

Check our the BRS vids on these test kits and then decide.

+1 to all of that, same things I use.

So glad to hear the fish are ok.

+1 on checking out the BRS videos. They'll show you how the kits actually work which is nice. I've got some of the RSM test kits and they're nice.

BRS videos convinced me to purchase the Red Sea pro test too. They seem to be very accurate and consistent. One of the main factors that sold me was the ability to buy refill kits with just the reagents at a reduced price.

okay, so I have my one lonesome sexy shrimp left in the DT. (Big Bertha died a week ago and got chomped up by Dingbat, did you see the video? And Bubby died in the hurricane.)

Should I move Bauble into the sump with the miniature sexies (they're about the size of a grain of rice) or move the sexies into the DT?

Edited by metrokat
okay, so I have my one lonesome sexy shrimp left in the DT. (Big Bertha died a week ago and got chomped up by Dingbat, did you see the video? And Bubby died in the hurricane.)

Should I move Bauble into the sump with the miniature sexies (they're about the size of a grain of rice) or move the sexies into the DT?

That's really neat. Did you buy them that small or did some of your sexies have babies before they passed? In my opinion, if they're that small then I would leave them in the sump until they get a bit bigger.

So remember I mentioned that some of the fish were nutty and behaved oddly when the power came back on? What dyu make of this?

The Bangai Cardinal was gulping water, like taking huge open mouthfuls, an action that looked like a Barking dog. At first I thought she was gasping for air but she did this in the lower part of the tank where she normally swims, not at the surface. The barking motion was very rapid.

I detailed what the Mandarin did in an earlier post.

The Midas Blenny went and plastered himself to the overflow/intake grate. Like flat pancaked himself. You could see him moving his eyes, looking here and there but he was smashed otherwise. Is it possible that this guy and the Mandarin had no strength left in cold water to do much swimming, that everything bit of energy they had went to their vitals to keep them alive?

That's really neat. Did you buy them that small or did some of your sexies have babies before they passed? In my opinion, if they're that small then I would leave them in the sump until they get a bit bigger.

The little guys were that size at purchase. Oddly enough the ones from live aquaria are often that little.

Sorry to read about your losses Kat and I hope that the Mandarin and the other fish make it and are chipper by the time you wake up and check out the tank.

Truly sorry. I feel for you

Hi Kat.

Hope u r doing ok with the storm!

This is that marineland hidden LED right? Is this the standard one's moonlights or do they make an all blue one? If it's the regular one do u just use it for moonlights or run it during the day too?

Sincerely,

Your biggest fan

P.S. oh did I tell u that my SPS are bleaching now??? I know...shocking...

P.P.S. when I catch the demon crab/worm on Thursday ill send him in the mail to u. Oh and also some flatworms. Ok bye for realz now :)

Kat I realize u were kinda busy before so maybe u can answer these questions now?

Also would u recommend sumping my Biocube 29 like u did with ur tank? I don't really understand the whole sumped AIO concept. Do explain. :)

Hi Martin,I'm using the accent LED light, not the hidden. The accent comes in all blue and all red only. It is 17 inches long so it may just fit the BC29. I use mine dawn through dusk. My moonlights are different and these are far too bright to be moons.

Lower the light to stop the SPS from bleaching. Are u sure they are leaching and not RTNing?

Thanks for the crab and flatworm offer, I'll pass.

Sumping the bio cube requires a HOB overflow like life reef or CPR or eshoppes.

Edited by metrokat