ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I think that is the best way. If you used liverock in the Max you may be good with moving everything over at the end of this month. That is if you have a mini cycle and not a full blown cycle. The luxury of having two tanks running at the same time is nice.

Great thread. I'm really learning alot.

I have an RSM and I think I'm gonna learn alot as well! Kat, I'm keeping a close eye on this one.

*Cues All 4 One* she's got skillz....oooo well skillz girl has got it going on baby got crazy skills, mmm red sea max red sea max! now, baby, you are all that plus a bag a chips you got skillz....owww hahahahaha jkjk

*Cues All 4 One* she's got skillz....oooo well skillz girl has got it going on baby got crazy skills, mmm red sea max red sea max! now, baby, you are all that plus a bag a chips you got skillz....owww hahahahaha jkjk

LOL

Slow and steady is the way to go. I would be itching to get everything in there too but hey why risk the happy livestock?

Can't wait Kat!

Pics!

Skimmer is working

IMG_20111231_172826.jpg

Finally, some color, diatoms, coralline, algae, sponges, barnacles,tunicates, all good.

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3607.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

Even though it is covered with diatoms, this bi-valve has interesting colors

IMG_3610.JPG

Edited by metrokat
  • Like 1
Friggin A! Your tank just got set up, has no corals or fish and looks way better than mine. GEEEZ.

Your tank is amazing what are you complaining about! If it is the color that you are commenting on, the secret is in the uncured rock. It comes with many unknowns, heart attacks and is not for everyone, but as you can see with my BioCube, the color is a visible pop.

Sponge?

Might be, haven't touched it yet to see the texture.

So that's where my christmas present went! I think Santa meant these over-sized woolly socks for you, as this RSM really should have arrived here. :lol:

Looking good too by the way.

Your tank is amazing what are you complaining about! If it is the color that you are commenting on, the secret is in the uncured rock. It comes with many unknowns, heart attacks and is not for everyone, but as you can see with my BioCube, the color is a visible pop.

That's why I went with the dry rock. I could take my time on structure and was scared to death like a little girl of bad guy hitch hikers.

I'm quite the macho dude, but it seems I'm a nervous nelly sweater queen when it come to my reef tank.

FTS week 1

IMG_20111225_170130.jpg

FTS week 2

IMG_3613.JPG

After the first week I took a brush and brushed the rock to get rid of the gray/white sand residue. As ammonia came down, Nitrites and Nitrates caused the routine diatom blooms which further added warmth to the scape. The top most rock has the HH brain coral (not sure yet if alive but has a barnacle which is alive) and has been munched clean by a few CUC members I brought in from the BC. IT also gives me an idea that even though the ites and ates are high, that a CUC can survive.

Excuse the ugly bag with the zeolites. :rolleyes:

Also the rock on the lower left has a huge white spot because I just turned it over in the sand so the other side with the diatoms would get cleaned up naturally without the light on it.

Edited by metrokat

Could be sponge or bleachy die off. Glad you got your skimmer working - skimmate looks good maybe a little wet, how many days worth is that? Try lowering your bubbles just a little bit and it will start coming out babys*** forest green after being fed spinach

Props to kat and uncured rock! Uncured is the way to go! Its how I got my tiger pistol, my neon purple bristle worms, most of my pods and all my awesome coralline in green,blue,orange and purple

Edited by Deckoz2302
surgicalsense
This picture captures the underside of this one rock I have, it is totally orange, a bright orange. Coralline?

IMG_3612.JPG

Most likely .... a few of my LR had nice patches on them already when I first got them. It is the luck of it spreading throughout :) the rest of the tank