Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

New pictures!

Pocillopora from Newman

IMG_4208.JPG

Jason Fox poker star (looking more like a rainbow monti right?)

IMG_4209.JPG

Blue Ridge coral to the right or Red Devil Gorg

IMG_4210.JPG

Encrusting Cyphastrea, pink bird (fallen through the crate) candy cane, green digitata

IMG_4211.JPG

Elkhorn Stag, Blue Chalice at it's foot (grown a new eye)

IMG_4213.JPG

Yellow Porites showing new growth

IMG_4214.JPG

P.O. Duncan, Lola the crab is mauling it again

IMG_4217.JPG

Stupido the BTA with Mr. Silly the crab on top of Humpty the bi-valve

IMG_4218.JPG

Caribbean Rose Coral

IMG_4221.JPG

Sunset Montipora, 2 pieces fused into one now

IMG_4225.JPG

Red Grape

IMG_4227.JPG

Blue Ochtodes

IMG_4228.JPG

Lorax, Lion of the Tank on top of a Monti Cap that is encrusting over

IMG_4234.JPG

GSP Ledge

IMG_4235.JPG

Hell Boy Favia (some call it war coral) encrusting

IMG_4236.JPG

Draco side view, I dunno, is he skinny???

IMG_4240.JPG

Those Zoas

IMG_4243.JPG

Purple Death Palys from KGoldy (there I said the name KG!)

IMG_4246.JPG

King Midas

IMG_4247.JPG

yay

I love macros. My collection right now includes:

Red Grape

Chaeto

Blue Ochtodes

Red Gracilaria

Green Gracilaria

Brown Graciaria

Beige Gracilaria

Caulerpa Prolifera

Red Titan

Sargassum

Halimeda

Caulerpa Verticillata

and some unknowns.

Awesome corals and pictures!

Thank you! I'm actually getting rid of some of those frags this week from the crate to make room for bigger frags.

metrokat, are you dosing calcium or just performing regular water changes to replenish?

:blush: I'm not doing either. Calcium has always been in the 440+ range, at first it was my Petco water, now it is my Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. I am lax with water changes too, I try and do 10% every 10 days or 2 weeks. My macros do a really good job at absorbing excess nutrients. I am similarly lax at water changes in my pico but that is over powered with macros too. I don't know if a macro abundant tank as a filtration method has a long term life or what, it seems to be working for me. This tank has been up since Christmas, that is ONLY 90 days. Looks much older does it not? It's the uncured rock.

In my BC14 I pushed the bio load with 5 fish and fed heavy, it was also a macro abundant tank, and coral heavy tank. Although I tore down the BC in it's 6th month for this upgrade, it too was thriving. To me a tank with macros seems like a complete ecosystem. I feel each organism contributes and has a symbiotic relationship with another.

Wow, that was a crazy answer to a simple question. sowwy. I'm just thinking out loud.

Hey Kat, Draco is looking great! He doesn't look skinny at all to me

Agreed. You can really tell when theyre unnourished, by the concaved U shape belly. My mandarin started off like this, and luckily she took right to frozen. I shut the pumps down and spot feed her. As soon as the pumps turn off, she scoots over to her feeding corner :rolleyes:

How easy is it to set up that pod culture? I've been thinking of hooking one up. For now, I toss in a bag of Tisbes every couple months.

I saw a pic of your mandy on FB and even commented on it. :) They are such gorgeous fish.

This pod culture was the best lazy reefer idea in years. here's a recent post below and this link will explain it all:

See here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=276657

So in this acrylic beverage container ($7.99 @ target) I have saltwater and 1 pack of tisbe pods from algagen. I had some live substrate initially in my makeshift culture which I removed when I drained out the pods culture into this container. I add live phyto when I see the color getting lighter. I add a teeny pinch of reef cleaner filter feeding food once a week. I put in an airstone occasionally. That is it.

This link is also very helpful

Agreed. You can really tell when theyre unnourished, by the concaved U shape belly. My mandarin started off like this, and luckily she took right to frozen. I shut the pumps down and spot feed her. As soon as the pumps turn off, she scoots over to her feeding corner :rolleyes:

How easy is it to set up that pod culture? I've been thinking of hooking one up. For now, I toss in a bag of Tisbes every couple months.

If you are tossing in some tisbes anyway, get 1-2 bags and start the culture. then harvest it every 2 months.

Wow! Beautiful specimens! Draco looks health to me.

For what its worth, I agree totally with your rambling on water chemistry, lol. Just another reason for me to get a sump/fuge.

Wow! Beautiful specimens! Draco looks health to me.

For what its worth, I agree totally with your rambling on water chemistry, lol. Just another reason for me to get a sump/fuge.

Thanks Mark. Let me see how much space is freed up in the back after I remove the skimmer and add the media basket. If I can get a big wad of chaeto back there then it defeats the purpose of a sump for me due to the quantity of macros I have in this tank. Temperature is another matter. :(

altolamprologus

Got my card in the mail today. I absolutely love it!!! I can't bare to throw the fish away so I think I'm gonna keep him :lol: Thanks so much, Kat :)

Got my card in the mail today. I absolutely love it!!! I can't bare to throw the fish away so I think I'm gonna keep him :lol: Thanks so much, Kat :)

Got it already? Wow the postal service did good there. I'm glad you like the fish and glad he ah survived the journey. Ha ha. I saw the cutest deep orange frogfish at the store just now. I was with the 'reef god', I was telling him how I teased you with a caulerpa present as a possibility. He proceeded to tell me all about CA law. Again. :) fun stuff. Have a great day.

altolamprologus
Got it already? Wow the postal service did good there. I'm glad you like the fish and glad he ah survived the journey. Ha ha. I saw the cutest deep orange frogfish at the store just now. I was with the 'reef god', I was telling him how I teased you with a caulerpa present as a possibility. He proceeded to tell me all about CA law. Again. :) fun stuff. Have a great day.

He had some uhhh..torn fins :lol: but he was more or less intact

I want another froggy so bad! They're like cats, something about them makes you want more and more

So the tank got inspected today

IMG_20120419_195956.jpg

I'm not sure if it passed the smell test but there are paw prints all over the RSM. Bogi (the cat) was busy trying to paw the hermit crabs and the feather duster for quite a while.

IMG_20120419_195503.jpg

He had some uhhh..torn fins :lol: but he was more or less intact

:lol:

A little jealous of your montis right now. Been thinking about getting a frag of rainbow monti from vivid, but they are like $60 I think.

A little jealous of your montis right now. Been thinking about getting a frag of rainbow monti from vivid, but they are like $60 I think.

I love montiporas! Monti caps are not my favorite though, they look nice when they grow as scrolls but a frag or so doesn't do it for me. The encrusting kinds are lovely however: superman, sunset, rainbow.

so how are you and the cat doing....alergys still bad?

Thank you for asking! I take a zyrtec everyday and don't get hives when I cuddle. Not that hives stopped me before, :D but it was a bummer if I was getting ready for dinner with a red face.

That pic of your cat is so funny. Looks like he's watching the tele.

:lol: he's a cutie.