Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I love the fact that your sump is about the same size as your display. I often see a tiny-ass sump versus a beautiful big display, and never understood why. Good job!

• Like 1

I love the fact that your sump is about the same size as your display. I often see a tiny-ass sump versus a beautiful big display, and never understood why. Good job!

It's probably perspective in the picture. I did try to get it as big as it could be and still fit in the cabinet.

Display: 36X18X18

Sump: 30X13X15

• Like 1
NorthGaHillbilly

I need some RO tubing. The polyethylene stuff that Home Depot carries, is that the same thing?

I have a few buddies use it before with no problems.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the new tank, same foot print as my new one, but you've got 6" more height

• Like 1
What is your secret to such rapid growth of the sps in your tank? Lighting, dosing, water movement?
High nutrients combined with good light and dosing. The water flow is compromised by the towering rockwork with the corals, makes the sps have dense bushy growth which I dont care for. I hopw the new tank will have better flow, and I cant wait for the 35w gyre.

I have a few buddies use it before with no problems. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the new tank, same foot print as my new one, but you've got 6" more height
Thanks!
  • Like 1

So, after years of being berated with "UPGRADE Kattttttt" now is when we've finally weakened you and willed you into getting a BA tank? I approve so much.

What is your secret to such rapid growth of the sps in your tank? Lighting, dosing, water movement?

She also tells them they're ugly constantly, nothing makes a coral grow more than lowering its self-esteem x)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

The water flow is compromised by the towering rockwork with the corals, makes the sps have dense bushy growth which I dont care for. I hope the new tank will have better flow, and I cant wait for the 35w gyre.

From what I understand, high flow makes them grow thicker, tighter, bushier. Low flow is supposed to lead to thinner, longer branches. Sounds like your flow is adequate.

I saw a publication about this once with pictures of growth over time with of the two flow conditions. I think it was in Advanced Aquarist, but I couldn't find a link.

• Like 1
jedimaster1138

Not ordering with BRS, I just got my shipment. Their shipping charges are high and it takes forever for the stuff to arrive.

Use Priority mail. Much faster from Minny. I pretty much keep BRS in business.

How much do you need anyway? I have some, but not huge pieces.

• Like 1

Use Priority mail. Much faster from Minny. I pretty much keep BRS in business.

How much do you need anyway? I have some, but not huge pieces.

I need 8-10 ft of tubing. Cost is $2.50 from BRS, with $7.50 priority mail shipping. No thanks.

jedimaster1138

Well yeah I wasn't suggesting ordering JUST tubing, lolz. There must be 40 other supplies you need for the new tank. For a while I was getting boxes delivered daily. It was fun...for my credit cards.

• Like 1
Well yeah I wasn't suggesting ordering JUST tubing, lolz. There must be 40 other supplies you need for the new tank. For a while I was getting boxes delivered daily. It was fun...for my credit cards.

Shipments have been arriving for over 2 weeks, BRS shipment arrived this week too. The RO tubing wasn't needed till 2 days ago, I am cleaning the fish room and moved stuff around. And needed extra RO tubing all of a sudden.

High nutrients combined with good light and dosing.

So help me out because I'm having difficulty making my stuff look so dang good. What do you recommend for dosing on a tank that size and what do you feed to keep the nutrients so high?

So help me out because I'm having difficulty making my stuff look so dang good. What do you recommend for dosing on a tank that size and what do you feed to keep the nutrients so high?

I wish it were that simple. If you have a young tank and start feeding a lot, you would have bad things happen like algae, ammonia, nitrates, phosphates. Things that are routine in an ecosystem but which cannot be processed fast enough by a young tank.

The magic is in the balance. The balance happens when you ramp up your nutrients commensurate with the ability of the tank to handle it or your ability to export it out. The imbalance of this leads to the problems most commonly found in our systems.

Post some details about your tank or link me to the thread, I can maybe offer some suggestions.

So before I kill my fish, does anybody besides one person use the polyethelene tubing that is available at Home Depot for their RO machines?

I use it , no issues so far