Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Companies should "sponsor" people more. There is a big influence on TOTM tanks and popular users.

It's tough because as a company sponsoring someone you're going to expect them to tell everyone how awesome your product is, why else will you give gear away. There are members on here with a lot influence over what people will buy so what happens if they use your product (which is great for 1000s of other reefers) and it doesn't work out for them? That's a lot of bad publicity. Also; Can you ever give a honest review of something if it was given to you for free? Not really, you just need to make up an excuse for getting rid of it and moving on.

I like free stuff as much as the next person but I also don't like bumper stickers and people taking credit for the work I put into my tank. :)

• Like 1

It's tough because as a company sponsoring someone you're going to expect them to tell everyone how awesome your product is, why else will you give gear away. There are members on here with a lot influence over what people will buy so what happens if they use your product (which is great for 1000s of other reefers) and it doesn't work out for them? That's a lot of bad publicity. Also; Can you ever give a honest review of something if it was given to you for free? Not really, you just need to make up an excuse for getting rid of it and moving on.

I like free stuff as much as the next person but I also don't like bumper stickers and people taking credit for the work I put into my tank. :)

I do love my toys though.

All jokes of bumperstickers on my tank aside, I do believe product early releases to forum members or even product reviews of something you yourself may have never paid money for but if given you would try it and post your feelings about it a valuable resource to anyone in this community.

I do love my toys though.

All jokes of bumperstickers on my tank aside, I do believe product early releases to forum members or even product reviews of something you yourself may have never paid money for but if given you would try it and post your feelings about it a valuable resource to anyone in this community.

It's valuable information to the community for sure but companies want people to buy their product - they'll take all the good reviews they can get but they won't be pleased if they give you equipment and you turn around and give a honest (bad) review. :)

It's valuable information to the community for sure but companies want people to buy their product - they'll take all the good reviews they can get but they won't be pleased if they give you equipment and you turn around and give a honest (bad) review. :)

Note to companies... If you want good reviews send us cool stuff , and send Kat the bill :lol:

• Like 1
It's tough because as a company sponsoring someone you're going to expect them to tell everyone how awesome your product is, why else will you give gear away. There are members on here with a lot influence over what people will buy so what happens if they use your product (which is great for 1000s of other reefers) and it doesn't work out for them? That's a lot of bad publicity. Also; Can you ever give a honest review of something if it was given to you for free? Not really, you just need to make up an excuse for getting rid of it and moving on.I like free stuff as much as the next person but I also don't like bumper stickers and people taking credit for the work I put into my tank. :)

If you see my JBJ Cubey video, I point out some negatives in the tank. Marine Depot was okay with that being done, how I did was up to me of course.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

How on earth do you get vendors to be so nice as to constantly send you updates on your goods being worked on, I clearly am missing something as I never get the special treatment.

bewbs. good bewbs.

It's actually plenty easy. That's what I told CoralVue before I was sent my Gyre and some of the new Giesemann bulbs, that they were going to get feedback and press whether they were good or bad, and I've given both. These are also the first two products I've ever been given for review that I've used beyond just gathering data for review, I usually give everything away. This Gyre will need to be pried from my cold dead hands, or at least until I can get a 35w one :)

• Like 1

If you see my JBJ Cubey video, I point out some negatives in the tank. Marine Depot was okay with that being done, how I did was up to me of course.

I watched it and it was totally fair. :) I meant more along the lines of a brand (Jebao, Ecotech, etc.) sending you their gear to show it off. I can understand a company like Marine Depot could take honest reviews because the Cubey (in this instance for example) isn't the only tank they stock, so it's not as much of an issue if you don't enjoy it, worst case it gets clients to buy a different tank.

Please don't get me wrong, I see no issue in anyone getting free stuff, I just don't like that feeling of strings being attached. :)

It's actually plenty easy. That's what I told CoralVue before I was sent my Gyre and some of the new Giesemann bulbs, that they were going to get feedback and press whether they were good or bad, and I've given both. These are also the first two products I've ever been given for review that I've used beyond just gathering data for review, I usually give everything away. This Gyre will need to be pried from my cold dead hands, or at least until I can get a 35w one :)

Good to hear CoralVue wants to hear the good and the bad regarding the Gyre - it is more understandable since it's a new product and they can use all the feedback they can get. I'm not so sure an established company would enjoy sending you a box of expensive gear and then you turn around and say it's rubbish to a ton of followers though. :)

Sorry to derail Kat.

jedimasterben

Please don't get me wrong, I see no issue in anyone getting free stuff, I just don't like that feeling of strings being attached. :)

Exactly - if they send it to you only expecting you to praise it, then it's not honest.

Good to hear CoralVue wants to hear the good and the bad regarding the Gyre - it is more understandable since it's a new product and they can use all the feedback they can get. I'm not so sure an established company would enjoy sending you a box of expensive gear and then you turn around and say it's rubbish to a ton of followers though. :)

In this case it was something that I was excited about from the beginning, I've had my eye on the Gyre since it was first hinted at earlier this year. I'm actually pretty picky about what I accept for review, I've turned down quite a bit of stuff because I knew how it was going to turn out, and told the company what was wrong and what they'd need to change. They're usually not happy about that :lol:

Sorry to derail Kat.

I'm not :D

• Like 1

I watched it and it was totally fair. :) I meant more along the lines of a brand (Jebao, Ecotech, etc.) sending you their gear to show it off. I can understand a company like Marine Depot could take honest reviews because the Cubey (in this instance for example) isn't the only tank they stock, so it's not as much of an issue if you don't enjoy it, worst case it gets clients to buy a different tank.

Sorry to derail Kat.

No worries on derailing, discussion is good.

So back to the Cubey, the tank was direct shipped from JBJ actually, via MD. JBJ knew it went to me, I was corresponding with them with questions about the tank before I made my review. Marine Depot made sure there were no string attached, the entire product test team did not have any directive or contract or anything that stated we had to give positive reviews. My first review was on the Pinpoint pH monitor and because I didn't actually have anything good or bad to say in it, MD asked me to re-do the video to add personal opinion. That first review was hard for me for that reason, do I say good things do I not. All in all, as a product tester, I can for sure say one thing: do the review after having used the product for a while. Because there are things that come to light the more you use it than when you first get it and are all excited and make a review of unboxing and installing.

Manufacturers contact me directly too. I have turned down products and requests for reviews when I felt that I would not be able to use the product long term.

I'm not :D

:slap:

bewbs. good bewbs.

:slap:

• Like 3
So the dealers for Vertex sent me replacement pads for the Triplex about a week ago, via Canada post. Seems really ridiculous not to have USA distributors for all their things instead of just a few items on sites like BRS. They went through a very elaborate invoicing system for a $4.99 purchase. They sent me the invoice and a printout of my CC receipt just in case the tax man comes to inquire about my magnet cleaner. Except the mail hasn't shown up from Canada yet.
wait!

We have Mail delivery in Canada?

• Like 1

I didn't even know the replacement pads were an option. I guess at least it would be fast to order for me hah.

Well, I emailed the dealer that it was highway robbery to ask me to shell out another $40 for a magnet when all the thing needed was some fresh pads. They said they carried it. Boom done.

Well, I emailed the dealer that it was highway robbery to ask me to shell out another $40 for a magnet when all the thing needed was some fresh pads. They said they carried it. Boom done.

It's funny because they really need to distribute these to retailers and the like. I constantly want to recommend the mag cleaners by Vertex (I have the Duplex) but always add at the end "But you can't get replacement pads.."

Still, going through the manufacturer sounds like a royal pain.

About the sponsoring above, I think it would be great if these manufacturers scanned the forums for tanks they like and if someone is using their products already with success. With a new release (lets say an updated light fixture or pump) they sponsor the reefer and say "Hey you liked our old _______ why don't you try the new one on us, and give a review?

Win Win I say.

It's funny because they really need to distribute these to retailers and the like. I constantly want to recommend the mag cleaners by Vertex (I have the Duplex) but always add at the end "But you can't get replacement pads.."

Still, going through the manufacturer sounds like a royal pain.

About the sponsoring above, I think it would be great if these manufacturers scanned the forums for tanks they like and if someone is using their products already with success. With a new release (lets say an updated light fixture or pump) they sponsor the reefer and say "Hey you liked our old _______ why don't you try the new one on us, and give a review?

Win Win I say.

True

• Like 1