ReefCleaners.org

HELP please. clam not looking good at all...

jgpico

Well I woke up this morning to open Christmas presents and saw my derasa clam looking horrible. All of my perams check out fine and my maxima is looking great. This happened over night, it looked fine yesterday but today it looks really bad. I'm thinking its pinched mantle. It's mantle is sucked all the way into its shell and its inlet and outlet are gaping wide open. It doesn't respond to anything. It didn't even close its shell when I touch it with tweezers. I tried tKing a few pics but not sure if you can see whats going on. Is it a goner?

IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg

if it doesnt respond to anything its probably already dead.

lightly poke the mantle with something. if it doesnt respond get it out of the tank before it starts decaying

if it doesnt respond to anything its probably already dead.

lightly poke the mantle with something. if it doesnt respond get it out of the tank before it starts decaying

I lightly pokes its mantle and it slowly closed.

o boy, that looks bad. thats the way my maxima looked right before it died.

Its very likely that yours will die within the next day :(

In my case i knew what happened to my maxima - i moved it around too much and possibly hurt it.

But in your case i can't see anything that could have killed it like that. you didnt move it around or touch it right? it doesnt sound like it, so i'm at a loss as to what may have happened...

Edited by .Newman.

that's terrible. is it improving at all yet?

try to think of anything you do to the tank that may have done this.

Did you put hot water in the tank when you last changed the water ? clams hate a sudden change to warm water. hot water kills them, so i'm wondering if there was any temperature shock or rising temps recently in your tank?

did you do anything recent to the tank in general that may have caused this reaction?

Edited by .Newman.

I make sure my wc water is the same temp as my tank water before I do a wc. I haven't done a water change this week yet because today was my wc day. I am doing one tonight. The only thing that I have done differently with the tank was feed it with the reef cleaners filter food. Other than that nothing.

so you recently fed the tank that food, and the day after that your clam did this?

It's gaping btw. this can't end well :(

Exactly. I don't know wtf caused this. I really have a hard time thinking it was because of the food but who knows. I'm pretty upset about this whole thing. This clam has been doing so great in my tank and then this.

i doubt it was the food since the other one is fine.

maybe something was eating the clam from the inside like a worm that got too bold, or a parasitic snail or something.

• 7 years later...