inTank Media Baskets

Nano in the Ozarks ...

Hognoxious

Hey guys - nothing really to update as I haven't added anything new to the tank recently and it pretty much still looks like the FTS above ... :)

We did have a head on the lower Torch coral killed by the Frogspawn. By the time I realized the Frogspawn's sweeper tentacles were reaching the Torch, it was too late and the head was gone. I repositioned the Torch and all is good again.

Getting ready to do a water change later today - I'll try and post an updated FTS afterwards.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update?

Thanks for checking in IIX. Nothing new to share really other than we've been trying to tidy up and group some of the common zoanthid and mushroom frags we have and added a green toadstool ...

Here is our latest FTS from last month.

FTS_October2012_zps826880c1.jpg

Beautiful as always!!! You deserve totm someday soon..... :)

I appreciate that thought :) ...

Hopefully after we move into a new house I can set the tank up like originally planned with the bonsai rock structure and at that point try some new types of corals - the Euphyllia have sorta taken over the current aquascape.

I also would like to remove the black background and suspend the light from the ceiling to make the tank viewable from all four sides as right now I kinda have it tucked into a corner so its only viewable front and somewhat from the sides.

Overall_July2012.jpg

Those are candy canes right? The ones that grew from a baseball into a softball? :lol:

Your tank is absolutely magnificent, and the sand is so clean! How do you keep it that way!

Those are candy canes right? The ones that grew from a baseball into a softball? :lol:

Your tank is absolutely magnificent, and the sand is so clean! How do you keep it that way!

Yea - the Candy Cane corals have really grown in under the AI Nano ... here is a closer pic of them - I was actually taking a picture of the green toadstool as this was day 2 after we added it and the polyps were starting to extend - but both candy canes are in the shot.

MushroomLeather.jpg

As far as the sand, we have a Fighting Conch that keeps it looking clean on top of weekly vacuumings when I do a PWC.

Deleted User 4

Damnn, love the dinning room it's in as well. Have you ever considered doing an all sorts of anemones tank with your bonsai scape? I think it'll look pretty interesting under the ai nano as well with all those sway movements.

Wow - awesome build !!! B)

Love the clean look. Not an easy thing to pull off with the 4 glass sides. Keep up the good work here.

Thank you - thank you, Evo_2679 and Urbaneks

Damnn, love the dinning room it's in as well. Have you ever considered doing an all sorts of anemones tank with your bonsai scape? I think it'll look pretty interesting under the ai nano as well with all those sway movements.

Hadn't thought of doing an all anemones tank but sounds like a unique idea ...

Jeeze I couldn't even see the second candy can coral you had! lol!

Also, fighting conch ftw! I had one that kept my sand perfectly white, but then after it was done, it hunkered down in a corner and then just died. I guess it ran out of algae in the sandbed to eat, and I never got around to buying algae waffers or whatever. Do you give your conch any supplemental feedings? Because I would really like to keep one around long term.

Also, fighting conch ftw! I had one that kept my sand perfectly white, but then after it was done, it hunkered down in a corner and then just died. I guess it ran out of algae in the sandbed to eat, and I never got around to buying algae waffers or whatever. Do you give your conch any supplemental feedings? Because I would really like to keep one around long term.

We don't offer the Fighting Conch any supplemental feedings ... he just circles the rock structure all day, every day cleaning things up. We've had him at least 2 years so he must be finding enough to eat.

We don't offer the Fighting Conch any supplemental feedings ... he just circles the rock structure all day, every day cleaning things up. We've had him at least 2 years so he must be finding enough to eat.

Wow 2 years! Has he grown in size any? That is a long time!

Wow 2 years! Has he grown in size any? That is a long time!

Just minimal growth from what I can tell, from how big he was when we got him ... he is about 1.5" long.

Deleted User 4

Definitely, you can reconsider your stocking plans after you move ahah. Regardless of that, your tank is just as inspiring. Or maybe get another tank for that other scape. Because I love the current setup just as much as your bonzai scape.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing tank!

Can we get a lighting schedule? Sorry if I missed it! I'm trying to get an idea what successful tanks are doing with the ai nano. Then hopefully apply some of that to my setup.

I plan to upgrade to a mr aqua 25g cube down the road, so this thread is especially inspiring!

Can we get a lighting schedule?

Shaner014 - our lighting schedule is as follows ...

Timer 1

On: 7:30am

Ramp: 30 minutes

White: 005 Blue: 015 Royal: 015

Timer 2

On: 11:15am

Ramp: 60 minutes

White: 028 Blue: 064 Royal: 064

Timer 3

On: 6:30pm

Ramp: 60 minutes

White: 002 Blue: 010 Royal: 012

Timer 4

On: 8:30pm

Ramp: 15 minutes

White: 000 Blue: 000 Royal: 001

Timer 5

On: 9:00pm

Ramp: 1 minutes

White: 000 Blue: 000 Royal: 000

Lighting period may seem a bit long but the tank is relatively dim until almost noon - and this works for our schedule as it allows enough light in the morning for feeding and to do a quick inspection and then more light in the afternoon/evening when were home and can enjoy the tank.

Found one of your old ada builds.... ada 30c

IIX - I love that ADA build but that is not mine ... looks like that is another member that lives in Missouri.

Beautiful tank! :)

what the... I can't believe I've never seen this thread before! Seriously, your tank is a work of art. Everything from the planning till now. Even your sketch makes my tank look like crap haha. Great work!

Deleted User 4
IIX - I love that ADA build but that is not mine ... looks like that is another member that lives in Missouri.

Beautiful tank! :)

lolol Whoops, totally got mixed up with that name and the title if this thread......lolol

My bad on my part haha.

what the... I can't believe I've never seen this thread before! Seriously, your tank is a work of art. Everything from the planning till now. Even your sketch makes my tank look like crap haha. Great work!

Thank you!

lolol Whoops, totally got mixed up with that name and the title if this thread......lolol

My bad on my part haha.

No problem ... I wish I could say that ADA was mine!

Here is a pic from the left side of our tank ...

The Frogspawn has grown from a single head about the size of a golf ball to so many heads we can't count them and is now about the size of a volleyball ... it keeps everything around it at bay with its sweepers.

The isolated rock up front at one point was our zoanthid garden but the mushrooms have taken over and a lot of our zoas have withered away. We may replace this rock entirely with something new and colorful. That area is a relatively med/high flow as our MP10 is mounted on the back glass on the left side so open to any suggestions that could live on the sand bed and withstand the flow ...

SideView_zps24253db0.jpg

Thanks for the updates! Tanks looks great, I am glad to hear the nano has done well in sustaining and growing your LPS.

That corner looks like a nice spot for a scoly or plate coral. Something vibrant that will fit down in there well.

Archived