SaltCritters.com

A Floating 12L

68sting

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an equipment room shot. I need to get it organized more but its a start. Still want to add an algae turf scrubber.

Picture080.jpg

I'm coming from a 300 gal system and 10% water changes per week were fairly common. What % is common on nano's? I have a 20 gal system now.

A few more questions. Whats the size of your top off water container? How about your mixed salt water holding tank? When I bought this set up the guy had two 22 gallon totes for this. There all set up with floats and bulkheads already but it seems like over kill to have almost 40 gallons of water for a 20 gallon system. I'll evap more water than I use each week.

One last question. I rigged up a couple dosing pumps today as a water change idea(see pic). The blue line pumps fresh salt water to the tank via the yellow line to the front of the sump. The white line pumps old salt water from the back of the sump to the orange line thats connected to the sewer. I could run this setup for about a half hour a day and at the end of the week have done a 10% water change. Whats your thought on this?

Picture081.jpg

haha this is getting awesome

really inspiring set up

following this one

Thanks!

The algae scrubber is on hold. I guess there's some new secret design coming out in March and they're telling me to wait. I shouldn't have to big of a bio load for a while any way.

Looking good neighbor! :) Haven't heard anything on the ATS front, you'll have to hit me up and fill me in on the details. Tank looks great, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Can I ask what type of benefit you expect to achieve using an algae scrubber on a system that small?

IME while researching nitrate exporting methods, it seemed that many argued that you won't see any benefit unless you were using a very large scrubbing system. Something like hundreds of gallons, or at least a certain % of your system volume.

I'm not questioning you but curious why people with ~ 20g systems are using algae scrubbers.

My understanding being that mangroves and algae scrubbers are inefficient exporters of nutrients on systems in the nano range.

TIA

A few more questions. Whats the size of your top off water container? How about your mixed salt water holding tank? When I bought this set up the guy had two 22 gallon totes for this. There all set up with floats and bulkheads already but it seems like over kill to have almost 40 gallons of water for a 20 gallon system. I'll evap more water than I use each week.

One last question. I rigged up a couple dosing pumps today as a water change idea(see pic). The blue line pumps fresh salt water to the tank via the yellow line to the front of the sump. The white line pumps old salt water from the back of the sump to the orange line thats connected to the sewer. I could run this setup for about a half hour a day and at the end of the week have done a 10% water change. Whats your thought on this?

Can't have enough top off water, or enough water change water IMO... While I certainly don't need it, I'm keeping mine on 2 55g drums for ATO, and my 172g mixing barrel. LOL Better to have too much than not enough. Only concern I have with the constant water change is the trouble I had trying to do the same thing... How do you manage ATO and stable salinity with fluctuating evap rates. I've found it best to just do the water change when you want it (over the course of 5 min to an hour) and then switch back to your ATO. Yeah, it requires some intervention, but you could set it up to be done in a few minutes just by turning a couple valves. :) Or you could even get some electronic solenoids and timers to automate it, but I think that would be asking for trouble... Just my $.02 ;)

Looks great. Can't wait to see more

Thanks

looks great!

Thanks

Can I ask what type of benefit you expect to achieve using an algae scrubber on a system that small?

IME while researching nitrate exporting methods, it seemed that many argued that you won't see any benefit unless you were using a very large scrubbing system. Something like hundreds of gallons, or at least a certain % of your system volume.

I'm not questioning you but curious why people with ~ 20g systems are using algae scrubbers.

My understanding being that mangroves and algae scrubbers are inefficient exporters of nutrients on systems in the nano range.

TIA

A local has had great success with his so I thought it sounded good. Some people even lose there skimmer and go all ATS. I hadn't heard it didn't work on small systems. Where did you hear that? Let me know and I can research that angle more.

Can't have enough top off water, or enough water change water IMO... While I certainly don't need it, I'm keeping mine on 2 55g drums for ATO, and my 172g mixing barrel. LOL Better to have too much than not enough. Only concern I have with the constant water change is the trouble I had trying to do the same thing... How do you manage ATO and stable salinity with fluctuating evap rates. I've found it best to just do the water change when you want it (over the course of 5 min to an hour) and then switch back to your ATO. Yeah, it requires some intervention, but you could set it up to be done in a few minutes just by turning a couple valves. :) Or you could even get some electronic solenoids and timers to automate it, but I think that would be asking for trouble... Just my $.02 ;)

Wow you'll evap more water than we both need each week! lol I've been trying to figure out how to maintane salinity in the holding tank. It seems like once a week is the winning idea and I don't have to worry about the evap issue. I'm back to you making the ats for me. I think my other box was just to big when I realized how small the screen needs to be. Over on the ATS site they're telling me to wait for the new design.

I picked up a few bits here and there, and again from Calfo's books.

The general idea was that you can reach a [small] system volume where these methods are less efficient at exporting nutrients than other methods of vegetative export. When compared to harvesting caulerpa for example, mangrove # requirements were sky high and comparable ATS systems were bulky and inefficient.

I'll try to pull up some more specific information.

I'm curious if there is, in fact, any truth to the idea.

Looks like I'll get my Boostled's today. I ordered the pendants on Tuesday when the manufacturer opened back up after the holidays. I picked up a clown last night but he's making me nervous already. This tank is to shallow for his crazy swimming.

What a great kick ass artsy idea! I like it. I also love all the techno support behind the wall.

I duno why all the drama over ATS's. If I ever get a sump on my tank i'm gonna get one.

What a great kick ass artsy idea! I like it. I also love all the techno support behind the wall.

I duno why all the drama over ATS's. If I ever get a sump on my tank i'm gonna get one.

Thanks. I need to take a video of that area. People will crap there pants when they see all the wiring back there. I'm hoping as small as this system is I won't have rust issues with my connections. There s 2x2 vent on the opposite side of the sump that I hope will keep it ventilated.

Pretty sick setup, makes me want to start working on my 12L again.

Do you have a build tread on your 12l? I would like to check it out if you do.

your tank is bad ass. Love it. Please let us know how the srubber works for you casue I been planning on trying one on my 10 and on the 20 I'm setting up now.

60 degree optics

Picture100.jpg

40 degree optics

Picture102.jpg

Lights are 9" off the water tank is 36" long tank

60 degree par results:

Just below the water

upper rocks

bottom middle

front right corner

40 degree optics:

Just below the water

upper rocks

bottom middle

front right corner

I also threw together a frag system with some odds and ends I had. The 12L came with a custom stand, I had a small wet and dry to use as a sump and a small frag tank. I ordered some GU10 stuff from ebay today to build a light.

Picture104.jpg

Picture105.jpg

Archived