inTank Media Baskets

[Biocube 29 hqi] GravyReef's Build Thread

GravyReef

Update:

LED's: All parts except the led's themselves are either here, or have shipped. Looking like a weekend project for early-mid February.

Snails: I bought 2 nassarius along with the other snails...and they are hilarious. I have some tiny pellet food, and if I throw a couple pieces into the tank in the front right corner, they both come flying out of the sand and race over to grab it.

Water quality: Seems to have really shaped up since the addition of the media. (purigen, cpe, etc.) I'm struggling with trying to stay patient...and being concerned that if I don't add something soon I'll "lose" the cycle. I'm not sure if the snails, and a couple crumbs of food here and there, are enough to keep the bacteria populations alive...but I don't want to rush out and buy livestock either.

This pair of fish has been out on LA for a week now, and are tempting...pricy though.

I'll probably wait until this weekend's water change, test again on Saturday, and decide what to do from there...

-Gravy

Given the price and semi-aggressive nature of those fish I'd add them last.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is amazing. Someday I will upgrade to the 29 cube. Inspiration like this is all it takes! lol

Thanks bokaholic! See JDK's build thread when you do....and go rimless!

Given the price and semi-aggressive nature of those fish I'd add them last.

Always the voice of reason...good advice Red.

hello gravy just wondering if you ever moved your mp10 to the left side of the tank and if not is your theory right about the right side?

Hi n2tanks...I left my mp10 on the right side. My rocks are angled slightly, front left to back right, and I think having it on the right just provides good flow across and around the rocks at the moment. The mp10 gives a good blast to the left pillar, which is the future home of many high-flow corals! I also still like it for aesthetic purposes (not in view when looking at tank upon entering room). I think my worries about "opposing flows" were silly...turbulence is good, and since the mp10 speed varies so much, the water flow patterns change constantly anyway. Hope this answer helps!

-Gravy

Update (2/4 ~5 weeks)

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 2.5-5 ppm

Phosphate: 0.6ppm

Calcium: 500 ppm (still getting high readings, not sure if they are accurate)

Magnesium: 1350 ppm

Alkalinity: 8.6 dKH

pH: 8.0

Temp: 77.0

Salinity: 1.024

I think next week is fish week. Probably a pair of clowns.

LED Update: LED's were shipped, I have everything else.

-Gravy

You'll love the clowns. They're great conversation fish for obvious reasons. Kids love them, again, for obvious reasons. And they don't pester whatever you add later.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Water params as of 2/11:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 2-5ppm

Phosphate: 0.2ppm

Cal: 453 ppm

Alk: 9.35 dKH

Picture of the new (and only, except the snails) inhabitants:

photobucket-2148-1329164767126.jpg

They've been in the tank since 2/8. Seem to be doing well. More finicky about food than I expected. I have every imaginable food for them....they seem to like frozen mysis & flakes. Tried gels, other frozen, and they don't even sniff at it. They seem happy.

Anxiously waiting to find time to build LED's...I have all required parts. Hopefully soon!

-Gravy

My clowns pass on the flakes but will go for spectrum 1mm pellets and mysis. The hard part is if the food does not pass right in front of them, they will blow it off. At least the 12 or 15 Nassarius love that part.

GravyReef, im a little late to the party, but have you installed your LEDs yet? If you haven't I'd like to ask for a favor. When you do install them, please take a picture of stock wiring inside the hood, right after you take off the reflectors. I would really appreciate it.

im trying to re-purpose all of BC29 lights that i pulled out on my other tank, but I cut all wires and now having a hard time tracing them how they were.

never mind. yours is hqi. mine is regular

thanks!

My clowns pass on the flakes but will go for spectrum 1mm pellets and mysis. The hard part is if the food does not pass right in front of them, they will blow it off. At least the 12 or 15 Nassarius love that part.

I use spectrum as well. And they all love mysis. In fact, I'm wondering if the mysis is responsible for my yellow watchman goby turning yellow again. He may not have been getting enough nutrition from the pellets and flake.

Man, that is a sweet setup! Looking forward to watching this one progress!

It's hard to beat a nice looking pair of clowns - you made a great choice! I have some very young ocellaris in my tank right now (locally bred) and they go crazy for cyclopeeze, nutramar ova, mysis and spectrum pellets. And as mentioned earlier, what they don't get, the nassarius go crazy for.

Keep up the good work!

Nice clowns! Have you tried pellets? Less messy than flake and both of mine love them.

I did try pellets the first couple days. Spectrum marine fish formula...1mm, sinking pellets...they would grab one in their mouth and spit it right back out...as if it was too big, or they didn't like it. However, I just gave them some and they ate several each.

I have 2 nassarius....and I'll definitely need more. The fish do seem to miss more than they get, and so much of it ends on the sand. Once I have a better idea for what they'll eat, and how much, there will be less waste.

I use spectrum as well. And they all love mysis. In fact, I'm wondering if the mysis is responsible for my yellow watchman goby turning yellow again. He may not have been getting enough nutrition from the pellets and flake.

The mysis is definitely a winner. Do you feed it every day or a few times a week as a supplement?

Man, that is a sweet setup! Looking forward to watching this one progress!

It's hard to beat a nice looking pair of clowns - you made a great choice! I have some very young ocellaris in my tank right now (locally bred) and they go crazy for cyclopeeze, nutramar ova, mysis and spectrum pellets. And as mentioned earlier, what they don't get, the nassarius go crazy for.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks very much Mushroom Boy. I'll have to track down some cyclopeeze & nutramar ova to try. Variety has to be a good thing!

-Gravy

When I got my yellow watchman he wasn't yellow but I feed mysis and spectrum and he is bright yellow now! So I think mysis might help that or the spectrum...

• 2 weeks later...
Blazzin Reefer

Hey Gravy! Let me just say wow! You really put together a well thought out Tank! I just set up HQI myself and am amazed at your build! Good job I will be folling along.

Archived