Coral Vue Hydros

[Biocube 29 hqi] GravyReef's Build Thread

GravyReef

I've been lurking/reading just about everything on NR that I can find. The more I read, the more I wonder how people were able to keep reefs running pre-internet...it's an amazing source of information as every question seems to have been asked and answered (some 100's of times!).

I'm going to document my build here. Not being one to break new ground (nor being in position to do so!) I'll be using many of the mods and suggestions of others.

Here we go, with pictures (crappy droid phone ones) :

The tank itself...I'm not sure how far off of the wall I'm going to set it. I want a little room behind the tank to be able to move stuff around when I need to, but I don't want it sitting out in the middle of the room either. I'm also unsure if it's going to sit directly on the carpet or if I'm going to put something under it. This is my office in the basement, so there's concrete under the carpet, and it's level.

photobucket-3502-1324589764735.jpg

The fun stuff:

AquaticLife 115 for chamber 1

InTank Media Basket & Fuge Basket for chamber 2 (also ordered the new flow director, waiting for delivery on that - Arrived 12/23)

Eheim Jager 100 heater 2xHydor 50w and Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 for chamber 3

DA's Reefkeeper Lite Plus

Vortech MP10

TrueLumen 4x453 led strip

photobucket-4310-1324483558195.jpg

The other stuff:

For the media basket: Floss, Purigen & Chemi pure elite

Salt: Seachem Reef Salt

Sand: 40 pounds CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef. I'll probably wash 20, and then add it in small amounts until it looks "right".

Rock: 35 pounds of BRS pukani. Heads up to anyone looking at buying this rock. I followed the 1-1.25 pounds per gallon "rule" and it's too much by a longshot. I bought what I thought would be a little extra so I'd have some variety to work with, but the pukani is just BIG for the weight. Much of it is also shaped like a head of cauliflower, with one very pretty side, and the other side looking like the roots or stems. Overall I like it, but it's a bit harder to work with than I thought it was going to be.

Here's what 35 pounds looks like:

photobucket-3481-1324483534972.jpg

I've been attempting to build my aquascape, and this is what I've come up with so far. No putty used yet, but once I decide on something, I'll secure it with rods/putty. Any feedback greatly appreciated:

Center:

photobucket-4071-1324586538266.jpg

Left:

photobucket-3841-1324586491476.jpg

Right:

photobucket-4905-1324586509001.jpg

I'm also building a small work area in the unfinished portion of our basement.

Drywall on the wall: Sink will go near the sump/johnny up. RO/DI mounted on the wall above it. Shelves/water containers/etc. to the left.

photobucket-4511-1324483580393.jpg

The table/shelf to hold RO/DI water, mix saltwater, maybe space for a QT and/or grow out tank at some point. Looks a little small, but it's 4' x 1.5'.

photobucket-4213-1324589724294.jpg

Shelves being painted and the (obviously uninstalled) utility sink in the background

photobucket-5042-1324589744211.jpg

To Do list currently too huge to list. I'll start one once I've got a little bit more done!!

Thanks again to everyone on these forums for your help and ideas.

-Gravy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working on fitting the skimmer into chamber 1.

First of all, there are no false bottoms in my 29. Maybe an HQi model thing? Also, while EvoKnvl's excellent guide says that it's going to be a tight fit, I was absolutely unable to slide the skimmer brackets past the ledge that holds right rear cover in place.

I had to Dremel out a little room:

photobucket-2003-1324647557452.jpg

(The tab between 1 and 2 will be coming out soon)

I also finished the airline tube mod:

photobucket-5036-1324648045634.jpg

looks like you are off to a great start

Time for some wet water! i would be loosing my mind with all the fun toys sitting in front of me and not being able to play with them. Is the tru lumen for moonlights?

looks like you are off to a great start

Time for some wet water! i would be loosing my mind with all the fun toys sitting in front of me and not being able to play with them. Is the tru lumen for moonlights?

Thanks Ezsharkman!

It seems like a long way off, but I'm shooting for 12/30 as "Official Water-in-the-Tank Day". My hands are somewhat tied until I have the utility sink hooked up and the ro/di machine running.

The tru lumen lights were intended for moonlight. I'm unsure how they will look by themselves. DA sells a moonlight kit for the reefkeeper that I might look into somewhere down the road.

Moving on to Chamber 2.

I have both of the InTank baskets, media & fuge, and I'm expecting the water director through USPS any day now.

After viewing the install video on InTank's site, I noticed that the installation of these 2 baskets in the second chamber is a bit different with the HQi. The clamp that holds the stock MH light fixture will prevent the baskets from going in and out. Each time I need to change media, trim chaeto, etc., I'll have to shut off the lights and remove the fixture. I suppose I won't be back there doing that very often once things are up and running, but initially I'll probably be messing around a lot!

Here's a pic:

photobucket-3583-1324662672176.jpg

(Yes, the tab between 1&2 is still coming out.....eventually!)

Water Room / Work Area nearly finished

Finished Painting, Hung the RO/DI machine, RO/DI holding tank in place....all that's left is hook up of the utility sink (and RO/DI hookup, and ATO set-up, and, and, and...).

RO/DI & Sink

photobucket-4194-1324678288703.jpg

Tanks and Table/Shelves

photobucket-915-1324678304738.jpg

The water tank holds 30g. 2x10g Brutes for mixing saltwater, water changes, etc.

Meanwhile, back in chamber 1.

The Water Director and Stay hold arrived from InTank:

I was worried that it wouldn't fit underneath the MH light mount, but it fits. I'll need to build a small 1/4-3/8" spacer so that the mount isn't floating, but I expect it to work fine.

Box (a tank cow?):

photobucket-2673-1324683517268.jpg

Tab between chamber 1 & 2 cut:

photobucket-1901-1324682632665.jpg

Pictures of Light mount and Water Director installed:

photobucket-3953-1324682657798.jpg

photobucket-3350-1324682679257.jpg

See how the bracket is floating a little above the mount. It's rock steady, but I'll still put a spacer in there to make it fit flush.

Next up is Chamber 3....which needs to hold a Maxi-Jet 900, a heater, and ATO float switches.

Going to be a tight fit!

-Gravy

Passed the overnight leak test:

photobucket-2585-1324736148168.jpg

First time I've had the MH's on. The little (read: tiny) cooling fan is not working. :angry:

A little more work on the rocks. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the arch. I'll have 1.5-2" of room in back and on both sides, 3-4" in front.

photobucket-1983-1324736464442.jpg

photobucket-3881-1324736439819.jpg

Feedback/Suggestions?

After reading through JDK's Rimless BC29 build thread, I've decided to scrap the Jager 100w for 2 Hydor 50w. After watching water running through the chambers, I'm not sure the 100 is going to stay fully submerged. The 50's are a full 4-5" shorter. Nice to have a backup as well in case one fails.

-Gravy

I suck at scaping so dont listen to me..but i like how you have the rock except the 2 indvidual ones in the front mover those a little more to the right..

Thanks for the response gmod!

I removed one of the rocks in the front. It does make it more open. I like the flat area left by the other rock. Hoping once this is in the tank, with the bottom 2" buried in sand, it will look a bit more natural.

photobucket-1437-1324739592356.jpg

photobucket-1936-1324739227282.jpg

Everything is looking good! You certainly went all in from the beginning! Good choice going with the two 50's.

Any stocking plans yet?

Thanks for the reply RedStang!

Still researching the livestock. Like a kid in a candy store, I want one of everything, but I recognize the limits of the tank and will do the hard work of narrowing down the list. My only real goal is to start very slowly with the easier, hardy stuff and see where it takes me.

And then there was water.

The plumber hooked up the utility sink, and I finished hooking up the RO/DI machine:

Setup:

photobucket-1394-1325093379315.jpg

We've got good water pressure here in Maine:

photobucket-1932-1325093362910.jpg

Clean water coming out:

photobucket-4226-1325093342677.jpg

Plan on mixing saltwater Thursday overnight and water in tank on Friday.

I've been modifying the stand a little bit as well. I wanted a pull out drawer with a face plate to mount the RKL and MP10 controller on. Still a work in progress:

Drawer slide(s) mounted in stand:

photobucket-5161-1325096037797.jpg

"Drawer"

photobucket-1154-1325096057808.jpg

The angled board is where the controllers will be mounted. Will be stained very dark.

photobucket-2193-1325097155448.jpg

I'm going to have a second shelf on this drawer that will hold the 2 PC4's and all the bunched up cables/wires will be hidden underneath. That's the goal anyway. I'll post pictures this weekend when it's (hopefully) finished.

-Gravy

wow

Uh oh, what kind of wow is that?

"wow, you've really messed up.....already"

"wow, you're insane"

"wow, you're on the right track"

"wow, when will this guy quit fiddling around and put water in the tank"

"wow, I didn't know that people actually lived in Maine"

"wow, just wow"

-Gravy

Is that utility sink from HD or Lowes? If so, which one and do you like it so far? I'll be setting up one in our basement once I finish a couple other household projects nd was looking at a sinks like that.

Thanks!

So far so good! I like the arch scape you have.

Thanks very much Davjo. I reworked it a few times, and ended up with something very similar to the original:

photobucket-3461-1325102073723.jpg

The pillars are all glued up now, so no going back now!

Can't wait to get it into the tank.

Thanks for the reply RedStang!

Still researching the livestock. Like a kid in a candy store, I want one of everything, but I recognize the limits of the tank and will do the hard work of narrowing down the list. My only real goal is to start very slowly with the easier, hardy stuff and see where it takes me.

I hear ya. Most of what I have was on a list of 8 or 9 fish that I had settled on as realistic candidates. Only the Blenny was a last minute change. Corals I didn't plan for at all. I knew not much SPS till LED's and kind of just went off of what I thought looked nice and what was cheap/free from local reefers.

Is that utility sink from HD or Lowes? If so, which one and do you like it so far? I'll be setting up one in our basement once I finish a couple other household projects nd was looking at a sinks like that.

Thanks!

It's from HD:

Mustee, E. L. & Sons, Inc. 20 in. x 35 in. Plastic Laundry Tub

The tub itself is good. Sturdy construction, the legs have leveling/mounting hardware. The faucet is pretty cheap, but serviceable.

I don't have a lot of other tubs to compare it to, but I'd recommend it. The plumber commented that he thought it was one of the sturdier ones he'd installed. I guess the legs on some of the tubs are pretty thin and shaky. I built a small base for it and mounted it using 3/8"x1.5" bolts and it's rock solid.

Uh oh, what kind of wow is that?

"wow, you've really messed up.....already"

"wow, you're insane"

"wow, you're on the right track"

"wow, when will this guy quit fiddling around and put water in the tank"

"wow, I didn't know that people actually lived in Maine"

"wow, just wow"

-Gravy

wow, why don't you live in my apartment building so you can DIY cool stuff for this reefer.

It's from HD:

Mustee, E. L. & Sons, Inc. 20 in. x 35 in. Plastic Laundry Tub

The tub itself is good. Sturdy construction, the legs have leveling/mounting hardware. The faucet is pretty cheap, but serviceable.

I don't have a lot of other tubs to compare it to, but I'd recommend it. The plumber commented that he thought it was one of the sturdier ones he'd installed. I guess the legs on some of the tubs are pretty thin and shaky. I built a small base for it and mounted it using 3/8"x1.5" bolts and it's rock solid.

Thanks! I'll add it to my wish list on Amazon so I don't lose the link.

wow, why don't you live in my apartment building so you can DIY cool stuff for this reefer.

:lol: I'm sure there will be many times over the next year where I'd happily swap some DIY work for good solid reefing advice when I'm having tank issues...luckily, advice is easier to send over the net!

Small update: Struggling with a couple things right now:

1. Leaking bulkhead in my RO/DI holding tank :angry:

2. Cable management behind the tank. I hate (hate, hate) visible cables. Trying to figure out a good system for tucking the cables away that still leaves them easily accessible. Stopping by HD on the way home from work to wander around looking for ideas.

-Gravy

Archived