Innovative Marine Aquariums

what is the difference between peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp

utkuarslan

camels eat softies.. so stay away from them.

i worked with a kid that had a 125g and had a toadstool leather the size of a basketball in the center. he didnt have any fish and wanted to have a shrimp centered tank.. so he literally bought 60 camel shrimp.. the next day they were all dead. They all attacked the leather coral and they leather poisoned the tank. lol

TheUnfocusedOne

Not all pepermint shrimps eat aiptasia, I would highly recommend that you don't buy a peppermint shrimp just to fix your aiptasia problem. There are better ways to deal with it.

Not all pepermint shrimps eat aiptasia, I would highly recommend that you don't buy a peppermint shrimp just to fix your aiptasia problem. There are better ways to deal with it.

just i want to some natural methods to deal with it. i heard befor if peppermints had a group in your tank, they would eat aiptasias. ( sorry about my english is not very well :S )

TheUnfocusedOne
just i want to some natural methods to deal with it. i heard befor if peppermints had a group in your tank, they would eat aiptasias. ( sorry about my english is not very well :S )

It's really hit or miss with peppermint shrimps. Some at aiptasia, some eat coral, some don't really do anything. "Peppermint shrimp" covers a few different species of shrimps that look very similar, and inhabit similar habitats.

Berghia nudis are the best inhabitants to get to rid your tank of aiptasia. They down side is they only eat aiptasia, so they'll eventually starve.

Lemon juice or boiling water are known to work.

I had a peppermint shrimp a while ago, never had one aiptasia. Then a few years later after it died got one in as a hichiker. Been chancing them ever since with aitasia-x, never seems to completely rid the tank only kill the ones I find.

IME if you get a peppermint shrimp that will eat it you are better off. Plus they are kind of fun.

If you have any feather dusters they will be gone, they love em

Lysmata wurdemanni WILL eat small to small medium aptasia close to 90% of the time as long as you dont feed them anything else for a while. for the ppl that claim they wont, try not feeding your tank for about a week, and see. I have had 3 or 4 different Lysmata wurdemanni and they all ate aptasia

Archived