Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clamp-on light

ajroahkni

Guys

As the head of my household, I begged and grovelled w/ my wife to start on my nano. What's that thing, "dignity?" Going to go 10 gal, but the lighting costs are pretty steep. Thinking about the JBJ clamp-on 12" PC 10k/actinic combo. Problem is, it's only like 30-ish watts(?) but $40-ish (cheap skate, me?)

Should I bother? Will any coral live? Maybe if I elevate the LR in the center to like 3" off surface and expect to grow stuff only there?

BTW, in following w/ cheapness, I plan on harvesting all LR/LS, creatures, macroalgae, coral (shh) from local waters.

Your esteemed mindpower is appreciated.

Hey, I think this is my post #4. . . only 496 more until I get the free toaster!

John

spoondigity

I am trying to make the same decision with my 10 gallon. Right now it just has the standard 15w 50/50 bulb in it. I only keep fish with live rock and a shrimp so no big deal. Eventually I want to move up and my LFS has a power compact 2 bulb system that has a total of 36w 10,000 and cost about $100 (it is also really small and convenient to place). I am thinking about running it in addition to the 15w that is already in there. I think they say at the least you need 3.6 watts per gallon but it really depends on what you keep in there. Some things will do ok with low-moderate light while others will have to have high. Hopefully someone with lots of experience will let us know for sure. Also, with light comes heat so you may consider how hot your tank is already running. If it stays high, you may need a fan with more lights. The hardest thing I find about lighting, is fitting it all in around my skimmer and hob filter.

The 4-6 W/Gal thumbrule was more geared towards the typical reef tank--50+ gallons. You guys have small tanks where there isn't much depth and you can make the most out of your lighting.

30'ish watts of quality lighting on a 10 gallon tank will easily support almost any soft coral for sure.

Ty

ajoroahkni,

it sounds like you live in a tropical area. you may want to try sunlight to supplement whatever you can afford currently. it'd be a temporary solution until you get the $$$ for a real hardcore lighting system. since it's a nano you could probably move it later to a more aesthetic spot of the sunlight option isn't one already. nothing's cheaper than free! :D

Fishiebusiness

the 12 inch $40 dollar JBJ clamp on light is only 18 watts, probably not enough for a ten gallon. Go for the larger clamp on JBJ, its about 20 inches long and is 36 watts, and only costs like 10 or 20 dollars more. That'll be good enough to raise soft corals in a 10.

FishieBusiness

Thanks, you're right. It is only 18 w for the 12". I'm realizing that it's too small, so I'll be looking for the 19" JBJ light. Besides, there's no LFS on this island that even sells 18 w bulbs. In fact, no LFS on this island even has a reef tank display, much less things to put in it.

John

you might look in the Aquarium Store on this board...appears to be some reasonable prices for lighting retrofits or try AHS for retrofits...

HTH..

bob

• 2 weeks later...

Won an Ebay auction on the 19" JBJ Clamp on w/ 36 W 50/50 bulb! I paid only $63 w/ shipping via paypal. . .

Now if only the seller would respond to my inquiries of where the heck my light is!X) and why it hasn't been mailed yet.

Thanks guys

John

I know MH may be a little overkill for a 10g, but I hate to think of spending $100 for a 20-30w light fixture when you can do a MH set up for about the same price...

http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/rpi.html

this guy has documented this project pretty well....

maybe with some effort yu can do a 150w even less...also check into the 70w MH they are very cost effective...

HTH

bob

After not getting a response from the seller for 1 1/2 weeks, I post that thread yesterday and I've got mail from him in my inbox this morning. . .

Coincidence?

hmmm....You *do* realize that it's illegal to use live rock in Hawai'i? And that it's also very illegal to collect the stuff without a license?

You might want to check the local laws to see what the penalties are before you go too far with this project.

State Law Statutes on Coral:

State law prohibits the intentional breaking or damaging, with crowbar, chisel or any other implement, any live stony coral from the waters of Hawaii, including any live reef or mushroom coral. HRS §188-68 - Can't take live stony coral by breaking off of reef.

It is unlawful to intentionally take, break or damage, with crowbar, chisel or any other implement, any rock or coral to which marine life of any type is visibly attached or affixed. HRS §188-68 - Can't take any rock (LR) with Visibly-attached or affixed marine life.

The taking of sand, coral rubble or other marine deposits is permitted in certain circumstances. The material may not exceed one gallon per person per day, and may be taken only for personal, noncommercial purposes. HRS §171-58.5, §205A-44 - AHA!

:)

I can take stuff, just have to make sure that it's stuff without any marine life visibly attached. And less than one gallon per day.

You guys are right though, it is a b!#@h trying to do this here. I understand why - the state doesn't want it's reefs raped for sale to the continent.

Thanks for the concern. I won't do anything stupid to mess things up/cast a bad light to this forum group.

John

Via Aqua makes a real nice power compact that attaches via clamps for easy access to the tank. They sell (in NYC at lfs) for about $100. A real nice light.

Archived