Pod Your Reef

Calling all Philadelphia reefers!

Boomerblaster

Boomerblaster

Hey everyone!

I am new to the reefing hobby. I have had my tank up for a bit over a month, and it is doing fantastic (knock on wood)! I am really excited and have totally fell in love with the hobby. Now, I live in Pottstown, Pennsylvania. I travel over an hour for the decent saltwater fish store in the area. I go to that pet place/ that fish place around lancaster. Now, I was looking for some new stores that have nice corals at a good price? I have heard of the hidden reef, but not much. Any other stores? Thanks for the input everyone! (PS- that fish place can get a bit pricey with their corals!)

-Jonathan

Boomerblaster

Does anyone know ANY stores in the Philli and Philli suburb areas!? I really could use some suggestions... Thanks!

-Jonathan

Hey,

I live in Gilbertsville, I'm kinda new to this too, have had mine for about 3 months. PM me I'd like to check out what you got. Be cool to see some other local reefers. Back to your question. Sounds strange but Pets Plus in Quakertown has a good size reef, 250g maybe, all for sale. They also stock wet/dry filters lots of supplements. Decent place for being a general pet store. not too far away and no traffic. I was shocked.

I live outside of Reading, the best place by far is Somthing fishy. website is www.toofishy.com its located in north hampton outside of allentown. The fish place sucks, altho their new setup has potential, their prices suck. Will be interesting to see what they actually do with that new system in the long haul. Iv never been to the hidden reef, so i cant say much about that store.

Boomerblaster

Hey fant.. is it worth visiting that store if i am only interested in buying corals? What are their selections and prices like specifically?? Thanks!

-Jonathan

They only carry saltwater stuff, check out the website. The prices are fair. Its not very big, its pretty much a large shed in the dudes backyard, but corals are top notch health.

Got this guy there for about 70. A little much for a single coral. But for the colors in it more then fair.

scolymia.jpg

You may also want to check out The Fish Factory -- They are in Bristol just north of Philly:

http://www.phillyfishfactory.com/

They used to work out of a warehouse and were only open a few days a week, but have just moved to a real storefront and are now open everyday. I was there over the weekend -- they had just opened and they didn't have any of their SW tanks running yet, but give them a week or two and they should have a pretty good selection based on what they had at their other location.

Check out the Frazier Zoo on Route 30 (Lancaster Pike) in Frazier. Mike is a great guy and there is always a lot of interesting corals. The place is in the shopping center across the street from the PA drivers license site

Fant...The metropolis of Robby...I had a few friends that went to Conrad Weiser, all now between the ages of 29 & 35.

Isn't there a fish store on 422 nearby? Any saltwater? I agree That Fish PLace is pricey on fish and corals, but I don't want to run to Allentown either. There use to be a guy in Reading who had a few things but I think he closed.

Odog. im a weiser grad, im only 21. So probably dont know your friends.

As far as any stores on 422, nope. Only store is in Reading which is Jo Annes and its pretty bad, iv only been there twice and i walked in and walked out. There used to be a place called Homers that was semi decent but thats been closed 5 or 6 years maybe.

I have yet to check out frazier zoo.. I may have to hit that store sometime soon. Once i get home from school, im up at state college at the moment.

Boomerblaster

Well guys i just got back from the Frazier Zoo... I got my permit while i was there! My mom said she would buy me a new piece of coral because i passed so easily! I was excited, but a little let down when i got into the store. They have a decent show tank that had one colony of AMAZING zoos. But he said he wouldnt sell them. Aside from the main tank they had like 6 tanks. FULL of algae, both coraline and others. They had some nice corals. A great brain, but i wasn't sure if it was for sale. I was going to get some ricordia, but decided not to. It was alright. Sort of like finding a diamond in the ruff. But, i like their coral selection better than that fish place! They also had some awesome bright orange zoos in one tank, but wasn't sure if they were for sale either. It is worth a visit, and i will probably end up going back. Just decided to put the money to the Remora account. Thanks for the recommendations!

-Jonathan

Just wanted to say I am in Down Town Philadelphia, and I know a few other people here live in the city. Also check out the Philadelphia Area Reef Club(PARC) forum over on RC. We have monthy meetings, it is a good place to meet other local reefers.

C. Jerome

I used to live in NE Philly and used to go to Martin's Aquarium. But that was over 10 years ago. Maby it's still there. Look it up in the phone book and see if it's still there. They used to have a huge SW section if I recall correctly.

Hey Hey everybody,

Martins Aquarium, in new jersey? In Cherry Hill at the ellisburg circle? They closed a bit more then 10 years ago. Think any other locations they would have had would have closed too.

Couple things, hidden reef is GREAT, I love the place. Also check out this site:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay....php?forumid=51

and this site

http://www.phillyreef.org/

It is the board for the Philadelphia Area Reefers Club, I hacve yet to go to a meeting or anything, but I hear they swap a lot of frags and such.

Boomer- I HATE going to a store, and seeing suck nice stuff, and only crap is for sale........

Oh also anyone near NJ try out Aquarium Center in Clementon

http://www.aquariumcenter.biz

or Aquarium Authority in Marlton

Boomerblaster

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate everything. I convinced my dad to take me to the Hidden Reef , and i was VERY impressed. They have some great coral selection along with great prices! I was so excited. I picked up an awesome brain! NEON green. Amazing color. I wish i could post a pic. I got for only 35, and it is pretty nice size. It looks like welsophilya (sp?). I found my new aquarium store. I am going there every single weekend. They had TONS of RBTA for sale at 60! I wanted one, but i realize that just can't happen in my tank at the moment. I also finally found a place to get salifert tests! FINALLY! Thanks everyone!

-Jonathan

No Martin's Aquarium used to be just outside Philly. I lived by Castor and Cottman Street in Northeast Philly and I used to ride my bike there when I was a kid. So, lol, I doubt it's the same Martin's Aquarium.

• 9 months later...
dumbobviousgirl

Just an update- No martin's Aquarium closed years ago. They were shut down for dirty things i think. Its so funny you mentioned Castor and Cottman, I live on Cottman and Rising Sun ave.

Hidden Reef is an AMAZING store. I work at the Philadelphia Pet Center on Rising Sun ave, we don't have much.

Used to work at one of the Pets Plus stores-all have a really nice selection.

Hidden reef does rule! Very knowledgable staff too. They hooked me up with LS starter an grunge from their sumps, and LR rubble for my refugium for only 3$ !! Great price for LR too.

dumbobviousgirl

yeh, their LR was amazing. Ive got all kinds of goodies and it was only $3.79 a lb. They furnished the fish tanks on the Real World this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, the Hidden reef is a great place. Ive ben hangin around there a lot latley b/c i just got a nano and im starting to breed bettas and theres a guy there who used to do that. Very knowledgable and great prices. The staff is pretty much fulltime so they know what they are talking about becuase its their bread and butter, not gas money. Most equipment they sell is about 2-5 $ cheaper then other places at least. Yea martins aquarium used to be on rt. 611/oldyork road about 2 miles outta philly. And i think they did get shut down for some reason but that was about 10 years ago and now its a furnature store. I also go to pets plus where the best buy is in NE philly, but personally i liked that store there befoer they got big. They used to be in one of the small shops alond the shopping cebter before they moven to the large place where they are now.

Archived