Jump to content
lostmindedv

How to stop clownfish from attacking other fish?

Recommended Posts

lostmindedv

Hey guys, I have run into a small problem with my tank and I was wondering if there is anything I could do to fix the problem. About a year ago I started up my biocube 28G and I started off with two clown fish. They lived together happily and one day I wake up to the male (smaller one) struggling to survive. It looked as though the female was biting him, his tail was all nipped up and she was attacking him in his last moments. :( but since then she has been the only fish in the tank. Now just the other day I decided I wanted to get more fish in the tank so I bought 2 firefish gobies. I knew that clownfish tend to be territorial so the day of the new fish I rearranged the aqua scape and introduced all three fished together, but the female clownfish is starting to attack the firefish gobies after a day of being pieceful. Now the firefish gobies are hiding under the live rock and barely come out.

 

Is there anyway to stop the clownfish from attacking the gobies or should I return the gobies?

 

 

Thanks in advanced!

Share this post


Link to post
ermartin

I would get rid of the clown fish and get a new pair of clowns after you have added any other fish first

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
lostmindedv
I would get rid of the clown fish and get a new pair of clowns after you have added any other fish first

 

 

I was thinking that's what I might have to do, but I didn't want to jump the gun. I'll see what others say before I decide if Ill do that -_-

Share this post


Link to post
M@!

Clownfish isn't going to get nicer. You can try to rearrange again but sounds like you just have a mean female.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
nor_cal_nano

+1 to Martin. Not much else you can do...

Share this post


Link to post
Pickle010

You can try floating the clown fish in clear container in the tank - keep it there a week and let it go again. If it attacks the other fish put it back in and try again in 3 - 6 days. Repeat as often as needed.

 

I've seen it work for pairing mean clowns with another - I don't know if it will help you in this situation as it seems your clown has claimed it's territory and wants to destroy anything in it's way.

 

The easiest bet would be to trade it in for a pair of juvi's and be done with it unless you are really attached to that clown.

 

What kind of clown is it?

Share this post


Link to post
zoox

Yea man, just take it back to the LFS. I had a maroon clown for several months and had the same problems you're having. Not only could I not add fish, I couldn't even add coral without the little bastard trying to knock it off into the sand. I debated with myself for quite some time about whether or not I should just take him back and eventually I just did it. Since I did I've been a happy camper. I got a pair of juvi tank raised ocellaris and they're cool with whatever. Don't let the fish dictate what you do with your tank she'll find a new home.

Edited by zoox

Share this post


Link to post
northeastern

Id have to agree... I added my pygmy hawk before my clown to avoid this.

 

You could always try to train it like a dog. treats for good behavior, flick it in the nose if it is bad... fish training... but really take it back to the lfs and get a new pair.

Share this post


Link to post
lostmindedv
Yea man, just take it back to the LFS. I had a maroon clown for several months and had the same problems you're having. Not only could I not add fish, I couldn't even add coral without the little bastard trying to knock it off into the sand. I debated with myself for quite some time about whether or not I should just take him back and eventually I just did it. Since I did I've been a happy camper. I got a pair of juvi tank raised ocellaris and they're cool with whatever. Don't let the fish dictate what you do with your tank she'll find a new home.

 

 

I ended up taking him back for store credit and the gobies are already coming out of hiding. I think I'm going to get juvis again after christmas, that seems the way to go. It was hard to let go of my first fish haha.

 

You can try floating the clown fish in clear container in the tank - keep it there a week and let it go again. If it attacks the other fish put it back in and try again in 3 - 6 days. Repeat as often as needed.

 

I've seen it work for pairing mean clowns with another - I don't know if it will help you in this situation as it seems your clown has claimed it's territory and wants to destroy anything in it's way.

 

The easiest bet would be to trade it in for a pair of juvi's and be done with it unless you are really attached to that clown.

 

What kind of clown is it?

 

I ended up returning the clown. Thank you for your idea though, I'll try that another time if a fish becomes agressive. I had a tank raised ocellaris clown fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Chandler1998

Hi all,

 

I’m having the same problem. I’m on my second pair of clowns in my 10g. I gave the first pair back to my LFS. This time I got a small one and a large female. All was well for a few weeks and the bullying has now started and the male looks stressed and is losing colour as well as his fin. The male submitted to her at the start and she’s twitched back. Any suggestions of what to do?

 

I wouldn’t recommend putting a pair of clowns in a 10g to anyone who’s thinking about it.

 

Thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
52 minutes ago, Chandler1998 said:

Hi all,

 

I’m having the same problem. I’m on my second pair of clowns in my 10g. I gave the first pair back to my LFS. This time I got a small one and a large female. All was well for a few weeks and the bullying has now started and the male looks stressed and is losing colour as well as his fin. The male submitted to her at the start and she’s twitched back. Any suggestions of what to do?

 

I wouldn’t recommend putting a pair of clowns in a 10g to anyone who’s thinking about it.

 

Thanks in advance 

There are a lot of us with clowns in 10g tanks.

 

That's not the issue.

 

In the natural habitat of clowns there is 1 female to numerous males. The female is the aggressor, her job is constantly bullying and herding the males into their anemone, this ensures they stay male because when one changes, she loses her position within the hierarchy.

 

People have issues in large tanks pairing clowns. This is the nature of the beast.

 

My female in my 10g is a real bully, very aggressive,  the male stays away until it's bed time. He's extremely fast, she can't catch him. I call him Flash.

 

The clowns that were in my 15g(now in my 25g) had normal behaviour and paired off immediately with no serious aggression. But the first clown in the tank had to be replaced because she was unbearable and beat up the first male.

 

My experience with a few sets of clowns- it's hit or miss and that's nature.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
WoodstockReefer

I dunno but apparently clowns are alot more aggressive then i was lead to believe. Mine left my goby in a mess after just 4 hours. Nippin its tail for no reason. So came home...and sent the clownfish away. I didnt have an extra tank running and the pet stores were closed by the time i got home...east ass-trailing current down the porcelain express for the clown. 

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Garf
21 minutes ago, WoodstockReefer said:

I dunno but apparently clowns are alot more aggressive then i was lead to believe. Mine left my goby in a mess after just 4 hours. Nippin its tail for no reason. So came home...and sent the clownfish away. I didnt have an extra tank running and the pet stores were closed by the time i got home...east ass-trailing current down the porcelain express for the clown. 

Wow. If you don't know what you are getting into, I'd suggest finding another hobby. So irresponsible to flush a clown that could live up to a decade given a proper environment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Afropenguin
On 12/12/2011 at 4:07 PM, lostmindedv said:

Hey guys, I have run into a small problem with my tank and I was wondering if there is anything I could do to fix the problem. About a year ago I started up my biocube 28G and I started off with two clown fish. They lived together happily and one day I wake up to the male (smaller one) struggling to survive. It looked as though the female was biting him, his tail was all nipped up and she was attacking him in his last moments. :( but since then she has been the only fish in the tank. Now just the other day I decided I wanted to get more fish in the tank so I bought 2 firefish gobies. I knew that clownfish tend to be territorial so the day of the new fish I rearranged the aqua scape and introduced all three fished together, but the female clownfish is starting to attack the firefish gobies after a day of being pieceful. Now the firefish gobies are hiding under the live rock and barely come out.

 

Is there anyway to stop the clownfish from attacking the gobies or should I return the gobies?

 

 

Thanks in advanced!

You get a different clown fish. You can try to stick her in a box and ask her to be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
23 hours ago, WoodstockReefer said:

I dunno but apparently clowns are alot more aggressive then i was lead to believe. Mine left my goby in a mess after just 4 hours. Nippin its tail for no reason. So came home...and sent the clownfish away. I didnt have an extra tank running and the pet stores were closed by the time i got home...east ass-trailing current down the porcelain express for the clown. 

Wow that is messed up. Just put the damn fish in a Tupperware that has holes until it cam be returned.

 

You want people to support your Kickstarter when you flush fish? Ha.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...