ReefCleaners.org

CPR Aquafuge powerhead replacement & back siphon

bsk997

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you guys have replaced the powerhead for your aquafuge. I have the 18" model and the pos rio is breaking down and I need to get a new one.

I dont think there's any other powerhead that'll directly fit on the rio adapter. I've tried with a microjet and maxijet but they dont fit w/out any adapters.

Maybe I can take off the rio adapter and put a maxijet or minijet 606 straight into the inlet pipe?

I really need a new powerhead and would rather stay away from rio if I can. Would also like it as small as possible too.

diagram-af.gif

Also, anybody else have pictures or opinion on where exactly I should drill a hole to prevent back siphon when power goes out or I need to pull out the powerhead for some reason. Should I drill it just a tiny bit below where the tank water level normally is? What is the optimal location of the hole? I don't want to come home to a soaking wet floor.

Thanks guys

What I did was remove the rio adapter and replace it with a MJ600. It fit's perfectly and it doesn't slip out. Much more efficent than the rio, and definately stronger.

The only trouble I had was the intake on the MJ sucking up my snails and even a fish. All I did was put a pre-filter sponge on there and it worked like a charm.

Alex

I put an Aquaglobe 100 on mine. i just used a piece of hose (1/2 inch i think) between the PH and the intake. Works great.

Thanks for the response guys.

Fishtails

I was wondering how you took off the rio adapter on the inlet pipe. It's glued in there pretty good. I was trying to take it off but didnt want to break it.

I know they sell a replacement inlet assembly without the rio adapter so that you can put on a maxijet instead.

AquaJamieB

Yeah, I've thought about doing that but wanted it to look clean. You dont have any pictures of your setup do you?

What are you guys doing about the backsiphon? I read about somebody drilling a tiny hole in the inlet pipe to break the siphon in case the power head is turned off.

Drill the hole....it works awesome! I run the water level 2mm below the black trim and when the power goes out, the back flow doesn't even reach my glass top.

So where on the inlet is the hole? Is the hole drilled on the inlet inside the fuge or in the tank side? Fuge side right? Sorry but I don't know and was wondering myself.

Sorry, I dont have any pictures of my set up right now. But, it does look clean, just as clean as if it were the rio hanging, except the aquaglobe is better becuase it has suction cups to stick on the glass and keep in place.

Troy - you got it! I drilled the hole (tiny! maybe 2mm) on the inlet (pointed up at 12 o'clock) before it makes the 90deg turn down. If you put it in the bend you lose a bit more flow out the hole.

I had to drill the hole cause I have a 5.5 and CPR said "it COULD NOT be done...too much backflow!) on anything bigger than a 10 gallon, you should have enough room in the tank to handle the backflow.

Thanks onthefly. I had recently setup the fuge and had noticed today the water levels have changed. For three days it was running really high and has settled now. When I kill the power to the ph, it equalizes as advertised. I don't think the hole will be needed this time around. Thanks a bunch.

Archived