Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drill a Via Aqua?

kgbenson

I would say that it isnt tempered but im not for sure. Reason being is that they temper glass on tanks that will have alot of weight in them for extra strength..unfortunately they shatter when you drill them. Guess the only way to find out is if you try it. ;)

Undertheradar

I have never seen or heard of a fish tank that used tempered glass on anything but the bottom. Why? Because tempered has a different color to it...and we wouldnt want to start making tanks with panels of varying tints on the sides, now would we?

Go for it. I like the "take one for the team approach"! You can though I drilled the back of my 37 gallon ViaAqua. Unfortinatly while moving a couch we knocked the tank broke the stand and shattered the glass. You never realize how much 37 gallons of water is untill its on your floor. Now I have a 26 gallon

Sounds like it can be done. ###### - I have never seen any of their tanks over 21 gallons - do you have pics of the 37 or the 29?

thanks

Keith

I have seen the site - but not the larger tanks - the site is difficult to get around, and the contact info is practically non-existant

Keith

No problem drilling the back of the 18gal Via Aqua. I did it to put in a bulkhead. My only suggestion is not to drill right at the water level you want. Put the bulkhead lower and use an elbow to raise or lower the level.

Thanks - precisley what I wanted to know. Do you happen to hae pics of your tank?

I was thinking of one hole in the center with an overflow and two on the upper corners for return from the sump.

Keith

Thats exactly what I did. Be careful when you tighten the bulkhead fittings though...I tightened one of them to much and it cracked a little. But after painting the back you dont even notice. Only thing I did find out was that with two returns I needed a really big pump so I had some good water movement coming out of the two sides.

• 7 months later...

Archived