Coral Vue Hydros

Word from the 'rents is everything is going well with the tank. dosing 50mL BRS alk daily, and 30mL bi-weekly. everything is doing well.

I won't be home to see the tank until thanksgiving because i'll be competing in the NCAA division III cross country national championships on the 23rd, then have finals the following monday-wednesday.

its gonna be a long and exciting weekend!

(here's a pre-nationals article if you care :) )

http://northcentralcardinals.com/news/2013/11/20/MXC_1120133441.aspx

updates this thanksgiving! i'll bust out the DSLR and everything. i've learned some new tricks ;)

• Like 1

so now that i have a correctly mixed soda ash solution i dosed it and snow appeared. limited searching online says this is okay. one post said its the magnesium that precipitates.

i dosed 40mL so i'm going to wait 2 hours and test. if the alk didn't change i'm going to assume it was the alk that precipitated.

jedimasterben

Magnesium won't precipitate until you get very, very high (2,000ppm or higher). Adding in carbonate or bicarbonate will only make that snow if something isn't balanced or if you add too much too quickly. The snow is formed when the calcium carbonate is formed, so you just lost both calcium and alk when you dosed it.

Magnesium won't precipitate until you get very, very high (2,000ppm or higher). Adding in carbonate or bicarbonate will only make that snow if something isn't balanced or if you add too much too quickly. The snow is formed when the calcium carbonate is formed, so you just lost both calcium and alk when you dosed it.

magnesium hydroxide will precipitate out if the pH is raised quickly:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/#16:

Magnesium hydroxide, Mg(OH)2, can form in a variety of different ways in reef aquaria, but it most often forms when the aquarium water's pH rises. At higher pH there are more hydroxide ions (OH-) , with about 10 times more OH- for each 1 pH unit increase. The Mg(OH)2 that forms is quite insoluble, and it comes out of solution as an amorphous white powder:

(8) Mg
++
+ 2OH
-
Mg(OH)
(precipitate)

edit: straight from BRS's site: "When dosing Alkalinity white flakes or a cloud may appear. This is normal and happens because the solution is highly concentrated. It will dissipate as the solution spreads throughout the tank. Just be sure to add the dose slowly to a high flow area."

future plans:
GHL 3 (or 4 dunno yet) doser

3 (or 4) vertex vessels

power bar 8

WXM

maybe a pH probe

maybe a salinity probe

mp10wes (for a total of 4)

also thinking about tinkering with zeovit... but i'm still in school so that may not work...

• Like 1

tried to rescape.... failed...

ugh. pics when it's clear. it looks off because the corals on the left are bigger than the corals on the right. but once the right side corals grow in i think it'll look rather nice... i also moved two colonies over from the frag tank. now i just need to get the colors right... pinks and purples seem to be the problem...

i also want a new bulb combo, its so icy looking compared to the 14K halides in the frag tank. i need to make the tank a bit more warm. since the 12-14K color is my favorite i wonder what would be the best combo...

maybe:

3 blue+

1 KZ fiji pink

2 coral+

here's where i got it from:
http://blog.reefgeek.com/2013/07/popular-t5-bulb-combos.html

A 1:1 ratio of Coral Plus to Blue Plus gives a very crisp look, I know, I've never used a Fiji Purple, so I couldn't advise on that.

crisp as in...? i know i want a warmer look.

i can't remember the combo i saw Rehype give some one. he said it was the best mix for color and growth. i can't seem to find it though.

Crisp as in a nice crisp blue. I really like the Coral Plus. Looks like knobs on its own, but with other bulbs or light it looks fantastic.

is it warm though? how's coral color and overall penetration?

i'd like to move my t5s down from 20" haha.

jedimasterben

I have mine around 12" above my tank (which is 16" tall) and I get over 75 PAR on my sandbed with just two 36" bulbs on.

By themselves, they would be compared to a 10K-ish color temperature, but that is subjective more than anything.

I have mine around 12" above my tank (which is 16" tall) and I get over 75 PAR on my sandbed with just two 36" bulbs on.

By themselves, they would be compared to a 10K-ish color temperature, but that is subjective more than anything.

hmm so a 1:1 coral+ blue+

i'm trying to imagine it. maybe i could switch my bulbs around and test it out to see what it looks like. but that's so much workkk.

what would this look like?

The answer can only be subjective, looks neutral white to me, not too blue, not too warm. It's just a slight variation of the 1:1 blue/white, the true actinic gives you more ~420nm and the Aquablue Special gives you more 500nm. I'm only running 4 bulbs on my 6 bulb fixture right now... 1 x ATI True Actinic, 1 x KZ Blue Special, 1 x KZ Coral light (New Gen), 1 x ATI Aquablue Special. Nice mix for me. If in doubt just do the 1:1 blue/white, you can't go wrong with that.

The answer can only be subjective, looks neutral white to me, not too blue, not too warm. It's just a slight variation of the 1:1 blue/white, the true actinic gives you more ~420nm and the Aquablue Special gives you more 500nm. I'm only running 4 bulbs on my 6 bulb fixture right now... 1 x ATI True Actinic, 1 x KZ Blue Special, 1 x KZ Coral light (New Gen), 1 x ATI Aquablue Special. Nice mix for me. If in doubt just do the 1:1 blue/white, you can't go wrong with that.

hmmm. maybe, i guess i'll have to try it out myself to see.

i want the best combo for growth and color. i remember reading it on a comment rehype reccomended for someone, but i can't find the thread! :unsure: