ReefCleaners.org

When I have mine RC mode I have the two opposite each other run on sync and anti-sync and the the backs mirror one of the other pumps also. This seems to give the best random flow. If the pumps arent linked together you can get typhoons in your tank. You can have more than 3 on NTM. I have all 4. The two sides run opposite of each other creating a nice wave in the tank. The two backs are on constant in NTM and then pulse every so often.

When I have mine RC mode I have the two opposite each other run on sync and anti-sync and the the backs mirror one of the other pumps also. This seems to give the best random flow. If the pumps arent linked together you can get typhoons in your tank. You can have more than 3 on NTM. I have all 4. The two sides run opposite of each other creating a nice wave in the tank. The two backs are on constant in NTM and then pulse every so often.

hmm. i for some reason couldn't get three to sync for NTM. i'll try again, but i really need a fourth.

jedimasterben

oh poop. i meant to say RC mode.

wouldn't having 3 un-synced be uber random and beneficial?

Nope, otherwise Ecotech wouldn't have made them wirelessly sync. The pumps talk to each other so that they can work together, not fight each other.

besides you can't have 3 on NTM, at least from what i can tell in the manual.

Tidal Swell Mode and Nutrient Transport Mode were designed only to work on 3 or more pumps, one (or more) positioned on the left and right sides, and one (or more) on the back of the tank.

Nope, otherwise Ecotech wouldn't have made them wirelessly sync. The pumps talk to each other so that they can work together, not fight each other.

Tidal Swell Mode and Nutrient Transport Mode were designed only to work on 3 or more pumps, one (or more) positioned on the left and right sides, and one (or more) on the back of the tank.

fighting seems pretty d*** random ;)

nah i figured it out, gonna change it now.

edit: DERP MODE LEVEL 9000, i had it on NTM this whole time. lollllll i thought i had it on TS... :slap:

looks like this system is going to need it's own circuit... apparently the entire kitchen is on the same circuit as the reef tank set up. agh re doing this is gonna be a mess. :wacko:

luckily my dad is a genius when it comes to this stuff.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Gheyyyyyy. I'm in a similar situation. Mine will be in my mancave soon, and I'm worried about tripping the 15A breaker when my computer, window A/C, and dehumidifier all are on at once!

i feel as though i'm not utilizing my apex to its full potential. i'm basically using it for:

-ati 2 & bulb lighting

-sump lights

-heater control

i don't even have the email/text notifications set up on it yet.

other than that, what do you guys see as a must have for your apex? i was thinking about a WXM when i pick up the 4th vortech mp10wes.

PH and temp monitoring would be ones I'd add

From what I hear pH probes are pretty inaccurate. They need to be calibrated and replaced often. My mom being a chemical engineer agreed. I have the temperature probe. That comes standard with the apex lite.

I can send you what I am utilizing my APEX for. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

That'd be awesome!
jedimasterben

I wouldn't consider modern pH probes (or conductivity probes) to be inaccurate. Mine have both been spot on since their initial calibration (checked against calibration fluids). What you're most interested in, anyway, is the change.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider modern pH probes (or conductivity probes) to be inaccurate. Mine have both been spot on since their initial calibration (checked against calibration fluids). What you're most interested in, anyway, is the change.

The fact that they uncalibrate frequently and need replacing makes them kind of a waste IMO.

why i love t5:

before:

tenuisedit.jpg

after:

62AC83E0-17FA-452F-AB86-FA7969E3BF55-110

This is awesome colour to me and what you should be striving for. Good job. I love my T5 also but you can get this coloration with LED also if it is done right.

I have to agree here, all my probes are lab grade and calibrated, I have a few of them and I have tested the pH against chemical and other probes. I would say the probes are more accurate than chemical test kits. Probes are used in every lab and are considered the standard for measuring many parameters. The key is proper use, maintenance, and proper calibration. If they are taken care of properly they will last quite a long time. What is the most accurate way to measure pH, ORP, and conductivity?

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The fact that they uncalibrate frequently and need replacing makes them kind of a waste IMO.

'Uncalibrated frequently', I wouldn't consider checking every few months with a stock solution 'frequent' by any stretch of the imagination. If you believe probes to be inaccurate and overall troublesome, you'd be appalled at how inaccurate most liquid test kits are, especially if your measurements are even only slightly off.

What is the most accurate way to measure pH, ORP, and conductivity?

Via probes calibrated against a standard ;)

I'll add a pH when I see it's necessary. Which won't be anytime soon. I just don't see the need. Especially since dosing is on a strict regimen, the pH probe just seems like a luxury.

As for the led vs t5: I can confident say I'll never go back to full led arrays. I'll use them to supplement but the color I get from these t5s and the halides in the frag tank is in beatable to any full led array I've seen. (And I looked for arrays to mimic).

'Uncalibrated frequently', I wouldn't consider checking every few months with a stock solution 'frequent' by any stretch of the imagination. If you believe probes to be inaccurate and overall troublesome, you'd be appalled at how inaccurate most liquid test kits are, especially if your measurements are even only slightly

Checking isn't a problem then. But the fact they we to be replaced (even with good husbandry) is the turn off. As for the test kit, accuracy there doesn't particularly matter as long as the tests are consistent. Varying results from test to test is a way bigger problem than being 10ppm off.