Cultivated Reef

looking great! awesome scape'

Thanks! It took a bit to figure out but it turned out awesome.

The plan is to find as many tabling sps I can and get them to grow out to fill in the sides while branching sps will be up top. :D

• Like 1

Looking good, I am keeping my light high as well for a while, but I have 6 bulbs on a 20 gallon tank, you wanna talk bright!

I tried to remove one light and two went out, guess they are on the same circuit or something, so I have to run 6 bulbs (or 4), that makes me a bit nervous, my lights are 14" above right now.

Looking good, I am keeping my light high as well for a while, but I have 6 bulbs on a 20 gallon tank, you wanna talk bright!

I tried to remove one light and two went out, guess they are on the same circuit or something, so I have to run 6 bulbs (or 4), that makes me a bit nervous, my lights are 14" above right now.

ahh you want to run 5? i've never tried but i can easily swap between 2, 4, and 6. what bulb combo did you decide on? I remember reading it, but i don't remember the exact combo...

• Like 1

The HEP ballasts are meant to run two bulbs in parallel, so if one is missing, the ballast senses that there isn't enough power going out and shuts it off to prevent damage.

• Like 2

ahh you want to run 5? i've never tried but i can easily swap between 2, 4, and 6. what bulb combo did you decide on? I remember reading it, but i don't remember the exact combo...

3x Blue+, 2x Aquablue Special, 1x Actinic

The HEP ballasts are meant to run two bulbs in parallel, so if one is missing, the ballast senses that there isn't enough power going out and shuts it off to prevent damage.

Ya, I figured it must be something like that, no big deal, I will run the 6 bulbs and keep the fixture a bit higher off the water line. :)

• Like 1

Ahh. Is that aimed more towards growth or color? I think the combo asureef gave me is kinda for the "best of both" scenario.

Just experimenting, more concerned with coral health and growth over colour. I will know in a month if I made the right choice, I can always change them up if I didn't.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Holy flow batman!

i'm not messing around with this build. haha. i was planning on just 2 mp10s but my friend was selling 2 for $310 so i jumped on the deal. but now its lop-sided sooooo my OCD is gonna force me to get another @_@

jedimasterben

Hell yeah man!

just do like I did and buy a blue box that needs new bearings, should run you just over a hundred bucks. Pop it open, slap new bearings on, and BOOM. Quieter than from the factory. Then just grab a new wES driver and you're set.

Or just find a steal like I've been seeing, like $175 for wES, but you gotta snatch them up the second you see them, no hesitation.

i'm not messing around with this build. haha. i was planning on just 2 mp10s but my friend was selling 2 for $310 so i jumped on the deal. but now its lop-sided sooooo my OCD is gonna force me to get another @_@

Your tank's exactly 2.5 times bigger than mine. I have 2 mp10s so that means you need 5, to make it symmetrical you should just round that up to 6.

• Like 3
TheKleinReef

Hell yeah man!

just do like I did and buy a blue box that needs new bearings, should run you just over a hundred bucks. Pop it open, slap new bearings on, and BOOM. Quieter than from the factory. Then just grab a new wES driver and you're set.

Or just find a steal like I've been seeing, like $175 for wES, but you gotta snatch them up the second you see them, no hesitation.

that... is a good idea. i'll keep my eye out for blue box mp10s. i got a great deal on these. now i just need to find one more good deal to jump on!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Your tank's exactly 2.5 times bigger than mine. I have 2 mp10s so that means you need 5, to make it symmetrical you should just round that up to 6.

Give_that_man_a_cookie.jpg

• Like 3
TheKleinReef

I want one more mp10wes. just to keep things symmetrical. i want one on each side of the tank, then one on each side of the overflow box. butttttt that won't be for a while. i got a good deal on these pumps, and they're in pretty good shape too.

DSC_5178.jpg

how do i hide that ATI cableeeee...

I want one more mp10wes. just to keep things symmetrical. i want one on each side of the tank, then one on each side of the overflow box. butttttt that won't be for a while. i got a good deal on these pumps, and they're in pretty good shape too.

DSC_5178.jpg

This looks really nice !